SB3 and Elpac 220 upgrades

Charles Calkins

SB3 and Elpac 220 upgrades
« on: 29 Aug 2008, 04:54 pm »
  Wayne did digital mods to my SB3 a few years ago. I had him mod the Elpac 1950 PS at the same time. Always sounded pretty good. No complaints from me! Since then Wayne has gotten real deep into getting the very best sound out of the SB3. I don't know if anybody else is into it as much as Wayne is. This time I sent him the SB3 and an Elpac 220 PS for digital mods. Got them back yesterday and I am very pleased with the results. I'm hearing better detail now than before. I've noticed that the sound field is much wider now. Wayne says this is the Enthusiast digital only mod. Analog part of the SB3 doesn't work anymore. Okay with me. I've always heard things better going through a good quality DAC.
 If anybody has been thinking having this mod done to their SB3 I say DO IT!!!!. You won't be sorry.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie

Wayne1

Re: SB3 and Elpac 220 upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2008, 06:10 pm »
Thank you for the comments, Charlie.

The digital only Enthusiast mod uses a second, linear power supply for just the digital section. This is the digital portion of the DAC chip and the hex buffer, which controls the clock and the digital output. This mod removes the last trace of noise from the internal switching supplies and the noise generated by the display.

This separate power supply can be built into the ELPAC WM220-1 very easily. It can also be built into the Ultimate PS.

The mod involves removing all of the analog section and running new power leads to the digital sections. I also updated Charlie's internal mods to the latest versions.