HT3 Build

ParisGogos

HT3 Build
« on: 4 Aug 2008, 11:00 pm »
I have posted some photo’s of the build process and final outcome of my HT3i’s.

Being a relatively experienced woodworking hobbyist (the TV cabinet is also my creation) I found the cabinet building fairly straightforward and believe that if you have access to a table saw and router, most people should be able to make these speakers. I opted to have Al build the crossover for me, as my skills do not extend to electronics.

I am very happy with the outcome and think these speakers sound absolutely terrific. I have owned some reasonable equipment in the past (Quad amps, Thiel Speakers, Thorens etc.) as well as being exposed to some very high end systems Classe , Martin Logan, Krell etc through audiophile buddies.

I am using the HT3’s with Apple TV (Lossless format) output through TosLink digital to a Onkyo SR 606 receiver. For the price, I can not believe how good this system sounds. Sure, these speakers deserve better amplification, but even with this relative low end amp they sound really, really good!
The bass is very tight and well controlled and the highs are some of the most detailed I have heard. My listening has been focused on 2 channel rather than Home Theater, although I have watched a couple of movies with just the two fronts and am looking foreword to adding an HT2 center channel.

I have zero hesitation recommending these to anyone with some basic woodworking skills and an appreciation of great sound quality. `As many other people have commented, these are the real deal, I have heard nothing that comes close to them at anywhere near the price and AL has been a pleasure to deal with. If your in the market for high end speakers at a bargain price, go for it you won’t be disappointed.

PS make sure you give these a chance to break in. I have been very surprised at the difference between when I first put them on and after 40 – 50 hours of break-in.
PPS I seem to be brain dead and can't post the photo's as soon as I sort it out I will add.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: HT3 Build
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2008, 12:16 am »
What kind of veneer?

Paris gogos

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2008, 12:32 am »
It's Zebra Wood and the inlay is Wenge, and yes, I am loving them.

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2008, 06:23 pm »
Nice build Paris the over all wood combination is sleek yet stunning :thumb:

What kind of music do you find so far pulls your attention to the HT3i?

Nice work again you said the combo would look great and that it does!

Paris Gogos

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2008, 06:56 pm »
Thanks Al
In terms of music types that draw my attention to the HT3's , acoustic anything  and female vocals are stunning. But I also liked the very tight base on  some oldies but goodies, Stevie Wonder , Fleetwood mac etc. I guess the proof of the pudding is the fact that after getting these broken in , I was motivated to go out and buy  some music, which I had not done in a while.
This is taking me back to my youth when I first became interested in Hi-Fi back in the 70's
There you go Al , there's another marketing message you can use.. "They well make you feel young again!!!" :P
Cheers
Paris

RAW

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2008, 03:36 pm »
Paris
Nice veneering job.Was that paper backed or slices of veneer.

Paris Gogos

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2008, 09:00 pm »
Al
Neither , it's more of a lamination than veneer. I glued the Zebra wood board, which is approximately 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch Baltic Birch.
Paris

RAW

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2008, 04:51 pm »
Nice.
I remeber now from our chat :duh:

The Wenge did you do that before assembly or after?
Asking for a customer who called but does not post on any forums.

Paris gogos

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2008, 09:08 pm »
I did it as the final step. Used a router with an edge guide and an 1/8th inch bit. Basically routed out a grove and glued in the wenge strip and sanded flush. Actually very easy to do. Just need to keep the router hard up against the fence and go slowly.

RAW

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2008, 06:44 pm »
Question
Are you finding you will need to add bases to your slim looking HT3i?

If so what you going to make them out of?

Paris Gogos

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2008, 09:58 pm »
I'm not certain, that I want to build stands as I like the look as is. However they are a bit "tippy" and could be knocked over if I'm not careful.
If I do end up building stands I am thinking of using two marble tiles I have lying around with some of that rubber draw lining material or something like neoprene in between them. The tiles would then be encased in a wood frame probably made out of the Zebra wood.
If I do end up making them I'll post some photo's as I'm not sure I am explaining myself very well.