Mozart (seriously)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Mozart (seriously)
« on: 22 Jul 2008, 03:54 am »
Lots of fluffy Mozart out there.  This is more aimed at Mozart as genius, and a serious artist.  For the Symphonies, I think Mackarras and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra is one of the very best sets out there now.  For the String Quartets, the recent Mosaiques set is excellent, along with great sound quality.  Following up with the piano concerto's, again it's Mackerras and the SCO with the great, great mozart pianist Alfred Brendel.

tanchiro58

Re: Mozart (seriously)
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:24 am »
Lots of fluffy Mozart out there.  This is more aimed at Mozart as genius, and a serious artist.  For the Symphonies, I think Mackarras and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra is one of the very best sets out there now.  For the String Quartets, the recent Mosaiques set is excellent, along with great sound quality.  Following up with the piano concerto's, again it's Mackerras and the SCO with the great, great mozart pianist Alfred Brendel.

Tyson,

I recently rebuild my analog system and vinyls (of course I have some but very limited to Mozart, Beethoven and Handel, etc.... Where do you buy these LPs? Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tan

Tyson

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:43 am »
No LPs for me, only CD's, sorry about that.  But I can definitely recommend that you avoid some of the classic mozart LP's, such as Boehm, Karajan, Barenboim, Menuhin, the list goes on.  In actual fact, I only can really recommend the better HIP performances, all of which were recorded in the last 15 years or so, which pretty much limits you to CD's or SACD's.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2008, 11:37 am »
The Mackerras set is Telarc (if memory serves).  When did they stop pressing vinyl?  In any case, I've never seen a vinyl version of that set.

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2008, 11:57 am »
The latest Mackerras set is on Linn, came out this year, and is only of the last few symphonies.  I doubt it's on LP.

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2008, 12:43 pm »
I prefer Mozart played live. Something goes missing on recordings.

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2008, 04:31 pm »
I have to again (partially) disagree.  :)  Tyson, you have a clear leaning towards modern, "HIP" performances and, while I enjoy them as well, it is also possible to enjoy, as I also do, older, more traditional performances. (Boy was that a wordy sentence  :oops: ).

I agree that a lot of older Mozart performances are inappropriate: either too romantic (Walter) or too stiff and heavy (Karajan, Bohm in the Symphonies). But there are also some excellent ones: Bohm in the Serenades and Sinfonia Concertante, Krips or Kubelik in the Symphonies.

I also agree that the Brendel/Mackerras Piano Concertos are superb (one can only hope more will be forthcoming now that Brendel has retired from concertizing) but I would not want to be without the Curzon, Casadesus, Horszowski, or Ashkenazy performances. Not to mention, more recently, the Goode and some of the Shelly, Koscis, and Uchida recordings. 

The Mosaiques performances of the Quartets after Haydn (#14-19) are very good although, as with all of their recordings, weighted towards the cello. Their last four quartets (#20-23) are a bit stolid. In these I prefer the HIP of the Quatour Festetics. The Quartetto Italiano is still my favorite overall: they defined unanimity in String Quartet playing and were well recorded.

It's great to be able to discuss classical recordings here on AC. Thanks, Tyson, for starting these threads.  :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:58 pm »
Agreed on Karajan et al.  But you are right, there are some very good older recordings out there - Barenboim and Menuhin in the late symphonies, the Ashkenazy and Perahia sets of the PC's along with individual recordings by Haskil, Cassadeus, etc.  And lets not forget the wind concerto's.  The sets with Bohm and Brain or the set with the Orpheus Chamber orchestra are all excellent. 

I've not heard the Quatour Festetics, I will have to check them out, thanks for the rec!  For modern instruments I do like the Italianos, but I think I like the Alban Berg set even better, probably because it is less "old world" in feel.

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2008, 07:26 pm »
You're welcome.

I really like the Berg too: I go back and forth between that and the Italiano set.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2008, 01:10 am by rpf »

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2008, 07:40 pm »
I have to again (partially) disagree.  :)  Tyson, you have a clear leaning towards modern, "HIP" performances and, while I enjoy them as well, it is also possible to enjoy, as I also do, older, more traditional performances. (Boy was that a wordy sentence  :oops: ).

I agree that a lot of older Mozart performances are inappropriate: either too romantic (Walter) or too stiff and heavy (Karajan, Bohm in the Symphonies). But there are also some excellent ones: Bohm in the Serenades and Sinfonia Concertante, Krips or Kubelik in the Symphonies.

I also agree that the Brendel/Mackerras Piano Concertos are superb (one can only hope more will be forthcoming now that Brendel has retired from concertizing) but I would not want to be without the Curzon, Casadesus, Horszowski, or Ashkenazy performances. Not to mention, more recently, the Goode and some of the Shelly, Koscis, and Uchida recordings. 

The Mosaiques performances of the Quartets after Haydn (#14-19) are very good although, as with all of their recordings, weighted towards the cello. Their last four quartets (#20-23) are a bit stolid. In these I prefer the HIP of the Quatour Festetics. The Quartetto Italiano is still my favorite overall: they defined unanimity in String Quartet playing and were well recorded.

It's great to be able to discuss classical recordings here on AC. Thanks, Tyson, for starting these threads.  :thumb:

WOW, there are so many of you serious Mozart fans on A/C.  Pleasantly surprised.  I am not a big M. fan like you guys.  I just happen to own a set of complete Uchida performing his piano concertos on Phillips, with Jeffrey Tate I  believe.  I put emphasis on sonics first, and the set didn't disappoint. :thumb: 

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2008, 11:25 pm »
The Uchida set is not bad at all, but you might check out Ashkenazy for more full blooded performances, and even better sound.  Plus the more recent releases by Goode and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra are great performances with spectacular sound, and the same can be said for the latest Brendel/Mackerras recordings.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2008, 12:21 am »
In addition to Alfred Brendel, my favorite Mozart piano:  "Maria-João Pires - Mozart; The Piano Sonatas".  I have not been lucky with Barenboim and Ashkenazy.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2008, 02:38 am »
In addition to Alfred Brendel, my favorite Mozart piano:  "Maria-João Pires - Mozart; The Piano Sonatas".  I have not been lucky with Barenboim and Ashkenazy.

I got intoxicated with Pires' Chopin concerto recordings on DGG though, particularly #2.  Sorry, I'm sidetracking.

Hogg

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2008, 11:09 pm »
The Uchida set is not bad at all, but you might check out Ashkenazy for more full blooded performances, and even better sound.  Plus the more recent releases by Goode and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra are great performances with spectacular sound, and the same can be said for the latest Brendel/Mackerras recordings.

Ms. Uchida's style is too feminine for me.  For Mozart piano sonatas try Christopher Eschenbach.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Piano-Sonatas/dp/B00002DEH1

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2008, 09:06 pm »
Agreed, Uchida (especially in Mozart) is far too inward and soft sounding. 

Going through the Violin Concerto's, I still like my old set with Grumiaux, very elegant and beautiful, and not too heavy, a big plus.  But my reference set is the one with Tetzlaff, this is spectacularly good Mozart playing, brisk, vibrant, alive, brilliant, and all in amazingly good sound quality.