Hemps in small room

Alwayswantmore

Hemps in small room
« on: 20 Jul 2008, 05:22 pm »
If you have a small room and haven't caught this yet, I just got a set of GIK acoustical treatments. They have made a huge improvement in my small listening room. Lean more in the Acoustics Circle... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=73.0 

Check out this thread: 'Just ordered GIK treatments for my media room (a blog)'

tanchiro58

Re: Hemps in small room
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2008, 06:33 pm »
If you have a small room and haven't caught this yet, I just got a set of GIK acoustical treatments. They have made a huge improvement in my small listening room. Lean more in the Acoustics Circle... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=73.0 

How big is your room? I am thinking about getting GIK in a couple months for my small room (12'x 10'x 8' and used to be my listening room with eightnerve treatments) and the living room with vaulted ceiling (a big long wall behind my sitting position).

I got a pair of Hemptones too and sound extremely good in a big living room but the problem is I still hear a bouncing sound. What is a resolution in my situation?

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2008, 07:27 pm »

How big is your room? I am thinking about getting GIK in a couple months for my small room (12'x 10'x 8' and used to be my listening room with eightnerve treatments) and the living room with vaulted ceiling (a big long wall behind my sitting position).

I got a pair of Hemptones too and sound extremely good in a big living room but the problem is I still hear a bouncing sound. What is a resolution in my situation?
There's a picture of my floorplan in the second post in the thread mentioned above. The dimensions are...

Details...

- 13' x 12' w/ 9' ceiling

- Enter from a hall facing long wall, with two windows on left wall

- Heavy plush carpet over 8lb rebond pad, over Advantec wood subfloor (basement below)

- Windows: 32” x 72”

- Center wall between Windows: 4’ 9” wide

I recommend you create a post with your specifics on the Acoustics Circle. Bryan from GIK and Ethan from Realtraps are very responsive with recommendations -- and much more qualified to give guidance than I.

In my case, the room was unlistenable prior to traps (in fact I used my K1000 headphones most of the time because the music was very jumbled in this room). Now the room sounds so good I'm thinking about selling the Ks to fund the sale of speaker cables, Alnico drivers and maybe even a Deep Hemp  :drool:

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2008, 10:50 pm »
I'm so happy with this thread and it is one of the best things you can do is add treatments. Treat them like a components when setting up a system it'[s that good. Forget big buck cable and go for these. It's a much better investment.

Thanks,
Louis

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2008, 01:11 am »
I'm so happy with this thread and it is one of the best things you can do is add treatments. Treat them like a components when setting up a system it'[s that good. Forget big buck cable and go for these. It's a much better investment.

Thanks,
Louis
Well said. And 110% true. I am pleased with the value and performance of every major component in my system (CDP / amp / speakers), but it took the addition of treatments to even begin to realize their potential in such a small room.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2008, 01:47 am »
One year ago I moved into a smaller space and thought it was absolutely horrible until I made some bass traps and added some absorption. Its still not as good as the larger space they were in, but its ok. I'm moving into a MUCH better space in a couple weeks...

:banana piano:

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2008, 12:37 pm »
One year ago I moved into a smaller space and thought it was absolutely horrible until I made some bass traps and added some absorption. Its still not as good as the larger space they were in, but its ok. I'm moving into a MUCH better space in a couple weeks...

:banana piano:
The other key for me is I'm nearfield listening -- Hemps are about 6' appart (to middle of driver), while I listen at driver level about 4' from front of the drivers (so they are wider than I am close). More details on my set up can be found if you follow the link in the first post of this thread.

While a bigger room may be better, they still sound very good.