Duet vs SB2/3 power supply

Felipe

Duet vs SB2/3 power supply
« on: 22 May 2008, 06:15 pm »
Hi,

I have a SB2 with analog mods. Dont know the spec, but it was modded by Wayne in August 2006. I believe it has the Sonicap Gens output caps...
I am feeding a very low spec power supply, one of the first Basic ones Wayne had on hand at the time.

I am thinking of upgrading the PS now, for the Ultimate and get the most sound i can from the SB2. My doubt is will it be a good investment, compared to a modded DUET + Ultimate PS.

Wayne,
Is it possible later on to transform an Ultimate MKIV PS to a Duet Ultimate PS ?
Is the regulator for 9V the only difference ?
Would a Nirvana upgrade on a Ultimate PS, with 9V regs would do the job ?

I really like the visual look of the Duet, makes my SB2 look kinda of a radio clock. :)

Thank you
Felipe

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
Re: Duet vs SB2/3 power supply
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2008, 07:23 pm »
Hi,

I have a SB2 with analog mods. Dont know the spec, but it was modded by Wayne in August 2006. I believe it has the Sonicap Gens output caps...
I am feeding a very low spec power supply, one of the first Basic ones Wayne had on hand at the time.

I am thinking of upgrading the PS now, for the Ultimate and get the most sound i can from the SB2. My doubt is will it be a good investment, compared to a modded DUET + Ultimate PS.

Wayne,
Is it possible later on to transform an Ultimate MKIV PS to a Duet Ultimate PS ?
Is the regulator for 9V the only difference ?
Would a Nirvana upgrade on a Ultimate PS, with 9V regs would do the job ?

I really like the visual look of the Duet, makes my SB2 look kinda of a radio clock. :)

Thank you
Felipe

Hi,

Are we talking about the PS Audio Duet here?  Thanks.

Wayne1

Re: Duet vs SB2/3 power supply
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2008, 08:24 pm »
Felipe,

The Ultimate PS can be converted to output 9 volts. The values of some of the components will have to be changed, but it would not be too big a deal.

If you are planning to go with a Nirvana upgrade, the transformer might need to be changed for use with the DUET vs the SB 2 or 3.

I haven't built any Ultimate PS for use with the DUET, yet. I did get some parts in for it. Now I am waiting for more circuit board material. That should arrive early next week.