Modded Elpac PS with ERS cloth-darn it!!! it works

kbuzz3

Much to the chagrin of my natural (and law practice fueled) cynicism  l started messing with some ers cloth last week.  I placed a large section underneath my bolder modded ps ...not much to report....tonight for the heck of it i wrapped a decent section fully around PS  attached with "audio grade scotch tape" and darn it....it did improve things.   

Im in a huge older nyc apt building so my noise and power issues may be more acute then others but for 20 bucks i think folks should experiment with this stuff.  Hate to admit it but it does have an effect (good or bad)

I wonder how good it will be when that scotch tape breaks in ....

NewBuyer

Re: Modded Elpac PS with ERS cloth-darn it!!! it works
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2008, 03:59 am »
...it did improve things...

What are you noticing?

« Last Edit: 7 May 2008, 04:30 am by NewBuyer »

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2008, 05:01 pm »
Try removing the ERS and wrapping the supply with aluminum foil. They both should work equally well for a shield against RFI.

Try moving the PS around in your system. There may be components that might be sensitive to the magnetic field given off by the transformer in the PS.

Make sure your SB3 is sitting directly on a shelf, not on top of another component. Keep the PS as far away from the SB3 as you can.

You may also want to try different isolation and/or coupling "feet" under the PS and SB3.  :wink:

kbuzz3

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2008, 11:10 pm »
Wayne: thanks for the advice, ill move the PS around and see if i notice any improvement. Excellent suggestion on footers. Never thought footers would matter on a PS. Good excuse to order some more isonodes or herbies.

As for what i was hearing with the cloth, it was a slight reduction in overall noise and grunge. Most notable on the high end. Just seemed to reduce some grunge.  There may have been more bass but hard to tell if this was due to a reduction of noise in general, music selections last nite or just a decent bottle of belgian ale.

kbuzz3

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2008, 01:17 am »
As per wayne's suggestion, id like to try some footers on the SB3. However, due to the narrow front and back metal footers, im unsure what would be stable/appropriate.  Dont think isonodes would work.  How bout herbie's baby booties? 

Would appreciate any suggestions.  Now that the SB3 has been running through a hard break i am really taken with its presentation. I dont now how to articulate it but its something about the way the music emerges.  Could be the "black background" cliche. Could be the Baybee.

In any event its really neat how the music emanates from this thing.  Much preferred to some of the transports ive had. I also hate to say it but some of the web radio stations sound really really "good". Again something about the way there is just music and nothing else   

denjo

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2008, 05:06 am »
I use halved squash balls below my SB3 - 2 in front and 1 behind. The rubber surface grips the surface like Blu-Tak. And, you get a choice of hardness.

Check this out: http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-472507.html

Best Regards
Dennis

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2008, 02:28 pm »
kbuzz3,

I have used Herbie's Tenderfeet and some Ebony "pucks" under the SB3. Depending on your shelf and floor, different materials will yield different results. I do suggest trying both isolation and coupling under the SB3 and PS to see what works best for your system.

You don't have to spend big bucks on these to try different ideas out. Pick up some scrap wood and place it under the units. Try a gel filled mouse pad. Take a look through Home Depot and see what can be utilized. After you narrow down if isolation or coupling works better for you, then you can try the various audio specific products.