Apex II DIY project

C.T

Apex II DIY project
« on: 1 Feb 2008, 09:48 am »
Hi,

I have just finished the building of my Apex II speaker, I am very pleased with the sound and quality of the kit.

These speakers presents a very clear and detailed mid/treble with a natural sound. The bass is powerful, deep and fast. No need for a separate subwoofer here, a real fullrange speaker is just the way i like it.
I have used Walnut veneer and 5 coatings of clear lacquer, the veneer is something called LignaFlex, and it gives a very nice ressult.

I have also purchased the Apex C but havent started building it yet.

I have attached some pictures.

During the build

The finished ressult

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Apex II DIY project
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2008, 01:10 pm »
Hello C.T.
 From the pictures it looks like you did a very nice job on the build :thumb: The speakers look good.

Enjoy.

jonwb

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2008, 01:31 pm »
WOW!  Those speakers turned out great!   :drool:

That's a big project... nice job!

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2008, 09:10 pm »
Nice looking Apex II  :thumb:

Norway seams to be a good spot right now for Apex speakers for some reason.

With your rear firing drivers do you find you have them just marginally operational.I would expect that as they are so close to the wall.

C:T

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2008, 12:04 pm »
Thanks everybody  :)

Yes you are right, the rear firing drivers are marginally operating due to the fact that they are so close to the back wall.
I usually pull them another 30 cm out when I'm home alone listening to music.
Haven't had the time to experiment that much with the rear firing drivers, but i certainly hear the difference between them operating and not.

RAW

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2008, 04:36 pm »
Christian
Thanks for posting your progess this help others how have purchased the kit as well with photos this explains a lot.
Expect the Apex II to break in over a 100hours they will have a stronger presence then what they have now.This is due to the driver break in as well as the capacitors.

Nice looking work on the finishing :thumb: