too quiet here

Alwayswantmore

too quiet here
« on: 17 Nov 2007, 12:49 am »
I really miss seeing new comments and activity in this Circle. If you do too, start a tread or revive an old one. I think that the Hemps are an incredible product, and hate to see the lack of posts here!!!

slwiser

Re: too quiet here
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2007, 12:17 am »
People do not find this sub-forum as easy.  It is like out of site out of mind.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2007, 04:28 am by slwiser »

ZLS

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2007, 04:01 am »
I agree that it is too quiet.  Here is a topic.  Is there anyone out there who is using two subs with their Omega Speakers?  What is the difference in sound between using one Sub vs. two. 
    Also has anyone discovered any tweaks to make their subs sound better?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2007, 04:23 am »
Well....here are some homemade speaker stands I built for my Omega Hemp Dipoles. They are built with MDF and use a bit of teak for the base to give them a slight upwards tilt. I aligned the face of the stand with the baffles, front and rear to encourage the "beard" effect for better bass response. Each stand uses 3 brass cones for coupling.There is ~ 50 lbs. of sand in each stand. I used baggies to contain the sand to facilitate easy removal for position change and moving.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2007, 04:47 am »
Here is a more recent and more detailed photo. I cut the stands down to 19" from ~ 24".

bprice2

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2007, 05:06 am »
Yes, but you must be using a Squeezebox.  Its the Inguz EQ plug-in.  The room correction helps flatten everything out and thus improves what I hear from my sub.  The EQ function lets me jack with lower frequencies and thus improve on my low-end...so to speak.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2007, 07:10 am »
Here is a more recent and more detailed photo. I cut the stands down to 19" from ~ 24".

Nice work!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2007, 07:20 am »
Thanks! :) They're rock solid and I think it helps the sound quality. Perhaps the "beard" functions as sort of a baffle step correction device.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2007, 07:22 am »
I agree that it is too quiet.  Here is a topic.  Is there anyone out there who is using two subs with their Omega Speakers?  What is the difference in sound between using one Sub vs. two. 
Never tried two subs, but from what I've read it would add 3db, and help reduce cancellation modes (I'm not sure if that's the correct term).

I have an ACI Force XL with Compact Hemps. The Force has two frequency adjustment knobs, giving more flexibility for adjusting the rolloff. Each knob has 6db/octave rolloff (set at the same frequency, they combine to achieve 12db/octave). Integration is seamless. My next step will be putting bass traps in a small dedicated listening room, which hopefully will tighten the bass more. Ultimately I'd like to give the Deep Hemp a shot.

BTW: Omega is getting some play in the Single Driver Circle.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2007, 07:30 am »
Another tweak I'm thinking about for my new listening room is (...I'm building a new house, and won't do this till early next year) -- once I find the right listening position and set up for my gear -- driving screws through the carpet into the wood subfloor. Then set the sub and speaker spikes directly on the screws. That should give solid coupling to the subfloor. A friend did it for monitor speakers, and he liked the results.

Mapleshade sells carpet piercing brass feet that are nice. I used them with my last sub, but sold them with the sub.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2007, 07:34 am »
I have GIK 4" bass traps in the front corners of my listening room. I plan to get more. Twin subs would be nice. I have the ACI Titan which works well although I'm sure that it could be better with more tweaking. I must get a sound level meter. Most of the time you can't tell if it is on so it must be integrating well.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2007, 07:38 am »
My sub has brass cones and sits on a  3' x 3' granite slab which is laying on carpeted wood floor. I do like the idea of the screws through the carpet coupling scheme.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2007, 04:52 pm »
Smccul has 2 subs running w/his Maxhemps, 10" Adire xbl^2 subs in a sealed cab (I have one of the same sub). I would prefer stereo subs myself, but my room is too small. I think you will get a more even response, but positioning the subs is still critical. The Adire subs are downfiring, I elevated mine about 1.5' and rotated the cabinet so its now front firing. This works much better for my space. I have 2 large bass traps and 40 sq ft of 3" acoustic foam in the room.

I am experimenting with coupling/decoupling as well. I moved into a place that has carpet over concrete, which seems to be a challenge. I don't think I want to couple to concrete, it doesn't seem like a good thing to do, and I've read some comments suggesting decoupling in this case. I have XRS speakers, sitting on a couple of cheap bamboo cutting boards, with Auralex MoPads between the cutting boards and speakers. I think this works well, better than sitting the speakers directly on the boards. I would like to try using a more substantial block of wood, so I'm looking at some 12" x 12" x 3" Maple blocks used as bowl-turning blanks. These can be had for ~ $20. Then I'll try with and w/o the MoPads...

BTW, the felt surrounds Jim Goulding is selling do work. I tried to work out something with him, but ended up buying (2) 11" x 60" pieces of 3/16" thick SAE grade F3 felt from Sutherland felt co and cutting them to fit. This is easy to do with a bit of careful measuring and cutting with an exacto and sturdy scissors for the top and bottom edges.

http://www.sutherlandfelt.com/?gclid=COCg86_v648CFQfmYAodVCZuMQ

There is a $50 minimum, so I actually bought enough to completely cover 4 XRS front baffles...

some pics (I plan on building some sort of subwoofer stand at some point  :oops: ):

miklorsmith

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2007, 05:31 pm »
Covering Louis' beautiful work with, well, a carpet.  Oh the humanity!   :D

Please tell me it's not glued on.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2007, 05:52 pm by miklorsmith »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2007, 05:55 pm »
I wouldn't think you need to cover the whole front of the speaker.... :o

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2007, 06:09 pm »
Covering Louis' beautiful work with, well, a carpet.  Oh the humanity!   :D

Please tell me it's not glued on.

:lol:  No, I used double sided temporary tape. Its just enough to hold it on there.

I guess I didn't need to cover the whole front baffle, but I figured it couldn't hurt. The Omegas are the best sd speakers I've heard, but the wide baffles do make the speaker box more audible, at least compared to a small monitor. The felt detaches the sound from the speaker, also extending the soundstage beyond the speakers. Also, it cleans up the tone so you can hear more detail and texture in the sound.

I wonder if a 3-d wooden diffusor pattern (similar to the acoustic panels you can buy) on the front baffle would do a similar trick, while maintaining aesthetics...

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2007, 06:51 pm »
People do not find this sub-forum as easy.  It is like out of site out of mind.

All,

Louis will soon become an Audiocircle Sponsor and his forum will get better visibility.

As you all know, Louis has had a difficult year personally (a good friend passed away, his parents were in a bad car accident and his father is still in the hospital) and he has made this forum less of a priority (taking care of family matters and trying to fullfill orders from customers is a lot for one person), but he told me that he will be posting here again very soon.  

Louis also mentioned very exciting updates coming for 2008:

-- An 8" Alnico Hemp Driver (high Qts) is in the works.  He will be using it to finally come out with his Open Baffle speaker.  It will also feature the DeemHemp sub built in on the bottom.  This is going to be something very special!

-- A 6.5" Omega Hemp Driver is in the works

-- The DeepHemp sub had taken off in a big way and he still needs to make a webpage for it!  He is going to be offering special package deals with the DeepHemp.  

-- New website updates will follow, and there is going to be a "custom shop" section.

I'll wait for Louis to post more to this thread soon.  Here is to wishing Louis all the best in the near future and beyond!

Vinnie

ZLS

« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2007, 12:47 am »
Hey Vinnie,

Good standing up and watching out for Louis.  I only wish that I had the qualities that would allow me to have such loyal friends. 

As for Louis's new products; I want; I want it all!

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2007, 04:10 am »
Thanks for the update Vinnie.

Hey Lou, if you are tuning in from afar, keep on truckin' my friend!

Best,
gb

schotter

« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2007, 12:35 am »
felt

ouch. Sorry to say, but this is fugly.