USB Off-Ramp Turbo 2 versus Pace-Car + modded SB3

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
USB Off-Ramp Turbo 2 versus Pace-Car + modded SB3
« on: 9 Sep 2007, 11:04 pm »
Hi Steve, and others...

I'm in somewhat of an impasse. I'm sending out my cd's to get archived onto a nice 500GB hard drive so I'm looking for the best way to play  my audio.

Why do people choose the Squeezebox SB3 + Pace Car over the Off ramp Turbo 2? Is there a huge amount of convenience with wireless if the laptop is going to be in the same room as your audio system? I mean a 5M USB cable is about 15 feet which is pretty long.

An Off-Ramp Turbo 2 is about $990 plus shipping, while a Pace Car + SB3 is at least $1500. I realize a Pace Car reduces jitter to vanishingly low levels but the Off-Ramp Turbo 2 sounds like no slouch in that department either.   :roll:

Just curious,

Anand.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2007, 06:16 pm by poseidonsvoice »

audioengr

Re: USB Off-Ramp Turbo 2 versus Pace-Car + modded SB3
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2007, 07:10 pm »
Hi Steve, and others...

I'm in somewhat of an impasse. I'm sending out my cd's to get archived onto a nice 500GB hard drive so I'm looking for the best way to play  my audio.

Why do people choose the Squeezebox SB3 + Pace Car over the Off ramp Turbo 2? Is there a huge amount of convenience with wireless if the laptop is going to be in the same room as your audio system? I mean a 5M USB cable is about 15 feet which is pretty long.

An Off-Ramp Turbo 2 is about $990 plus shipping, while a Pace Car + SB3 is at least $1500. I realize a Pace Car reduces jitter to vanishingly low levels but the Off-Ramp Turbo 2 sounds like no slouch in that department either.   :roll:

Just curious,

Anand.

Like all things (usually), you get what you pay for.  The only disadvantage of the SB3 is that it will not do 24/96 and the Off-Ramp will and you need a USB cable - 16 feet is no problem, the new Off-Ramps come with this.  There are also lots of plug-ins for Foobar, such as crossfield headphone DSP's and equalization etc...

The Pace-Car/SB3 will outperform the Off-Ramp because the Pace-Car has lower jitter, plus you get a wireless interface with some nice features that Foobar does not have. 

If you put a Pace-Car on the Off-Ramp or a Freeway, or even on a S/PDIF from a laptop, it will be equivalent to the Pace-Car/SB3 combo.  Everything coming out of the Pace-Car is equally high quality. The USB and computer direct type 2 Pace-Car requires that you send your laptop to Empirical in order to tune the Pace-Car to it.

See the updated Pace-Car webpage for details - do a "refresh".

Steve N.