My RAW home theater build (5 speakers) *with pics*

IronForge

My RAW home theater build (5 speakers) *with pics*
« on: 14 Jul 2007, 04:43 pm »
Hello.  I have been visiting the audio circle forums for about 3 years.  I wouldn't classify myself as an audiophile or expert, but rather an informed consumer with some technical knowledge.  A kit makes much more sense than dropping the same amount of $$ in a big box store.  Also I do not have measurement equipment, only my ears.  My only purchase up to now has been the 12" subwoofer/passive radiator combo from GR-Research.  To add to my collection I recently purchased three OB2X speaker kits (for front left, center, front right) and two RAV1X speaker kits (for rear surrounds).  Originally I was going to go with something more like 5 RAV1X kits.  Al pointed out the OB2X and OB3X threads and I looked into those.  The flat pack was also a good incentive.  I use an infocus projector, so I don't have to worry about the OB2X speakers getting in the way of the screen.

Currently I have all of the crossovers done for the OB2X kits, 9 total.  The RAV1X kits I will start on next.  Two of the cabinets are done, courtesy of Al and Danny.  Being the first to order Al sent me the two test cabinets for the cost of shipping along with one flat pack.

You can see one of them setup below, with crossovers being tested.  GR sub is also in the background along with the speakers I am replacing (to the far right).

Forgive the mess, you know how things get when you are putting kits together.  Not to mention I am in the middle of rearranging my home theater.  (going to paint, add some velvet curtains, run wire in the wall, room treatments, etc.)

My (humble) equipment/setup:
Panasonic XR-25 digital amp receiver (100w x6@6ohm, 100hz is receiver cutoff between speakers/sub)
Rythmik Audio 350 for sub (380W RMS@4ohm <0.1%THD, 245W RMS @8ohm <0.1% THD)
Bravo D1 DVD player (hooked up via DVI, with capacitor mod)
Charter Moxi HD-DVR (hooked up via component)
Infocus SP4508 projector
Harmony 890 RF remote
DIY screen
3 Berkline motorized theater recliners

The screen: (about 80" diagonal)

Initial Impressions:
Al has been very helpful.  I have sent him e-mail several times and spoke with him on the phone.  There was a small snag in some parts missing but Al was great to help clear it up.  Originally the OB2X kits were missing the inductor for the woofer, but Al sent some out to me and now they are hooked up.  Thanks Al! 

OB2X speakers:  I played a few CD's which included: demo CD sent by Al, Ghostbusters soundtrack, a classical compilation cd, Michael Jackson history disc, and a few others.  The sound quality is very good.  Everything I played was clear and detailed.  For HT use, this is a true performer.  The vocals are very clear.  Small details (such as breathing, footsteps, etc) are outstanding.  One such example is in Star Wars episode 3, in Yoda's fight scene with the emporor he is hanging on the edge of one of the "booths".  His nail scratches as he was losing his grip were unreal.  Off axis response is very good.  The only time I notice a serious drop is steep vertical angles, such as if I am on the floor.  Horizontal response is very good, which will be great for HT because I have three theater chairs and do not want a small "sweet spot".  It has been mentioned that the tweeter is "bright".  Overall I would say it is not bright.   Some listening has caused my ears to perk up, but a majority of it is very smooth.  I will reserve further review until all of the speakers are assembled and broken in.

RAV1X kits: Pending Assembly.

Other comments:  Blends very well with the GR SW12A subwoofer.   Again the HT sound quality is incredible even with just one speaker hooked up, can't wait to get them all done.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2007, 06:27 pm by IronForge »

IronForge

Re: My RAW home theater build (5 speakers)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2007, 05:16 pm »
The flat pack is not rounded over and does not have the angled cut by the tweeter portion of the baffle.  I'm going to buy a roundover bit to match the speaker to the current test cabinets.  It is actually hard to find a 3/4" round over bit locally.  I did not see one at home depot, will try sears.

All speakers will be painted black to match.

The RAV1X cabinets I will be making from scratch.  It should be easy but the tweeter cutout looks tricky. :)  I don't have a jasper jig, but will make one just for these cuts.

Similar to how he did it:

RAW

Re: My RAW home theater build (5 speakers) *with pics*
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2007, 07:06 pm »
Yes the round over was 3/4" We purchase from routerbits.com

The tweeter piece of cake.
Cut a 3 1/8" ID hole, then use a 1/2" rabbet bit to have the OD.
Then place the ribbon as shown on the CD and mark the spots to trim for the motor of the ribbon.You can us a jig saw or a rasp file to do this.Both work just fine.
I believe this was also on the OB2X CD showing how to do this.

Looks great so far well done.

IronForge

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2007, 04:32 am »
Glued the crossover boards into the OB2X cabinets.  It was tough to get the woofer crossover installed into the premade test cabinets.  The iron core inductor was just a hair larger than the hole.  I had to install it at a steep angle, and even then it took a couple of love taps to get it in.  It was almost a no-go.  Would have had to cut the ziptie and break the inductor free from the glue, then reassemble through the port hole.  But it worked out so I'm happy.

Oh and about the router bits, I was talking to a friend who used to do car audio installs for a living, he has a full set of bits.  Going to take the baffles to his place and round them over.

IronForge

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2007, 12:21 am »
Here are some pictures mounting the crossovers inside of the cabinet.  I put one on left/right side and the smallest (tweeter) along the front side.  All of them were put in place through the port hole. After I was sure they would all fit I hotglued them down to the cabinet.  Just the glue by itself with no screws forms a very strong bond.

After hooking up all of the speaker wire to the terminal cup, and routing to where the speaker terminals would be, i filled the back with polyfill and attached the port.