HT8 Construction has begun

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
HT8 Construction has begun
« on: 2 Oct 2006, 10:47 pm »
Hi

After a lot of research and listening, i decided to purchase the RAW HT8 kit with the upgraded caps and have them built.  I grabbed the kit from Al just before moving to Brisbane Australia (used to live in Vancouver Canada)

Here's some shots of the project underway, the cabinets being built by a local speaker builder here in Brisbane, Phil:  http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/wip.html

This is part of a larger, entirely DIY stereo project, which i'll compare to my entirely non-DIY system.  The looser gets sold off!

DIY setup:
Sources: 
  • Modified Slim Devices Squeezebox http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html.  Mods include bypassed output section with blackgate caps and improved linear power supply.  This is no toy, do a search, it's a serious source component. The power supply and analog output mod makes a large difference to an otherwise incredible device. The thing is $299 USD and rivals sources 10 times that price (after the mods)
  • Greg Ball's stunning GB150 amplifiers http://www.diyhifi.org/amplifierguru/guru_002.htm  The $200 ampilfier that topples the giants
  • Al's RAW HT8's, which need no introduction here - fantastic! see my earlier review: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=29885.0
  • All cables and interconnects built by me from 30AWG pure silver solid core wire with cotton dielectrics. 2 conductor for the interconnects and 6 conductor per side for the speaker cables. Theoretically this is about as good as one can get
  • All source, speaker wiring and internal amplifier wiring done in 30AWG pure silver. Probably negligible difference, but i bought 300 feet of the silver wire and might as well use it!
You might be wondering... where's the preamp?  There isn't one.  The Squeezebox plugs straight into the amps.  You have to hear it to believe it.

Non DIY setup:
  • Nakamichi MB-4s CD player, decent
  • Yaoin tube preamp.  It's a Chinese copy of a highly regarded European design.  It has a phono section too that i use with a Rega P3 turntable, for the vinyl factor.  I'll keep this setup regardless
  • No-name Chinese single ended KT88 tube monoblock amps.  These are actually very impressive for the price.  18 watts of pure SET sound
  • Speakers include Klipsch RB-10 reference series (interesting, but not that great), and some older Mission 753's, which were their flagship model a number of years ago
  • Cables are Kimber woven (brown/black ones) for the speakers and Kimber Hero's for the interconnects

Overall, the two systems cost about the same to put together, factoring depreciation of Missions in a used market (and not counting the vinyl aspect in either)
A fair or equal comparison?  Yes and no.  The DIY setup is going to murder it! but it obviousy takes time to put it together.

I'm really looking forward to the HT8's and Greg's GB150's.  I think this just might be the ultimate DIY combo... :notworthy:

Photos of Al's HT8's as they come.  They're being painted Audi silver  :drool:

Cheers,
/Adam

« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2006, 09:10 am by AdamM »

RAW

Re: HT8 Construction has begun
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2006, 09:09 pm »
Looking great Adam.
I would take it as your container has not yet arrived from the trip from Vancouver yet.
This would be why your kit is not available yet, I would guess!
Moving from Vancouver to Australia what a change but good for a gamer :icon_lol:
By the way your woodworker looks well set up for the task.

Finish you going to get them sprayed at a body shop?

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2006, 12:34 am »
New progress is up!
http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/wip2.html

Yes, my container hasn't arrived yet, so no speaker kit parts (or furniture, or anything!).  Everything is in customs right now, hopefully released next week.  I've been sleeping on some foam for over a month!  Empty apartment - very Zen :)

The woodworker Phil is great.  I owe him substantial amounts of beer over the comission price as further compensation!

Regarding the paint, it's not finalized yet.  Phil might have a contact which i'll investigate.  I'll want them to be very smooth when done, so lots of primer and sanding.  A nasty job....   The HT8's in some veneers look fantastic, but i just think that automotive silver paint will look drop dead gorgeous!

Now, only if i could change the colour of the copper phase plug....

The amp components should be done this week, so maybe in another month this will all come together. 

I'll be sure to hold an audio club meet here, once they're all broken in, so interested folks down under can hear some Raw Acoustics  :D

Cheers,
/Adam

www.robotbreeder.com

klh

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2006, 04:12 pm »
Good work... it's nice to follow along with your progress. It's especially good for those who haven't done the DIY approach. It helps us understand how long and labor intensive it actually is. Keep 'em coming!

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
Renders of potential paint options
« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2006, 07:10 am »
I modeled the HT8's in a 3D visualization program (XSI) and am trying out a few potential paint / finish options.

It's interesting to see them in different colours.  What do you guys think?

Next step will be to take a photo of my living room and composite the CG speakers into the picture, so i can fully previsualize them in a variety of colours to determine the best fit with the decor.

And for fun :)

More shots here:
http://www.robotbreeder.com/photography/v/projects/RAWHT8/

Cheers,
/Adam

www.robotbreeder.com

R_burke

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2006, 02:42 pm »
Nice, the blue catches my attention the most  :thumb:

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2006, 09:08 pm »
Like the Blue myself.

Adam they are almost ready for paint I think you said.
The site is not up to date.I think!

greenie512

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2006, 12:11 am »
More build shots I'm on page 4 of WIP at the moment see ... http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/wip4_glue_up.html

Cheers - Phil

Al Garay

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2006, 04:04 am »
Very nice work. Why didn't you glue the back panel at the same time as the front baffle and braces?

RAW

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2006, 04:48 am »
AL
I believe he does the same we do.
Build from the front to the back then attach the back panels last.
This allows you to position braces etc with no issue of fitting them in place :idea:

By the way build is looking very good.
Well done so far.
Now this little work in the pair of HT8 you can see why the Apex II is so heavy as well as the price for them finishes is what it is.
The Bracing and cutting all the holes is very labor intensive.Then add our shaped mid range compartment that is angles this makes all angled cuts for assembly of the HT8 and Apex II a little more involved than the smaller HT3.

Keep them pictures coming very good job so far.

And Phil had a chance to listen to the WR125ST (16ohm) full range , a little surprised I see what these little drivers can do.

greenie512

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2006, 07:35 am »
Al, I’d read good words about the CSS drivers before Adams commission, so had a set listed on my ever expanding list of project that I will never get around to. So when I saw the drivers for your kit – I smiled and thought what a lucky boy I am – go play.

My build method means I do not have to accurately cut every panel. Internal pieces cut to exact dimensions and control the external panels which can/are routered flush for exact finish.

Al, I don’t what to highjack this thread but can not resist asking. I was thinking of buying the FR 125’s and trying Planet 10’s miniOken cabs - http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/p10-FR125-miniOnken-map.gif what do you think or should I stick to the straight CSS 7 litre ported box.

RAW

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2006, 08:08 pm »
Phil
On the FR125S full range drivers we prefer them in a 7ltr cabinet a little over size  aa with other shapes inside the cabinet.
If you want email me direct I will explain.The full range cabinet we do is just not a box.

Glad you like the sound of the drivers, just wait till you listen to the HT8 when they are complete.
Will you be doing the final assembly or is Adam?

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2006, 09:10 am »
Phil and i will be doing the final assembly of the HT8's - this weekend!
Phil will do all the smart complicated bits, and i'll act as the hired help doing the low-fidelity efforts.

The crossovers aren't yet done.. but hopefully i can finish them before Sat.
I'm still looking for some 1" foam here for the internals....  Should be easy to get, but all the stores are different here in Australia!

Here's something you northerners might get a kick out of: We plan to start VERY early on sat AM, so we can get a bunch done before it gets too hot.  It's around 35 degrees by 11:00 AM ! (yikes)

/A

grommit

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2006, 12:03 pm »
So Adam was a bit premature with the above post but I finally got him working ..

for a few more xover pics see .. http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/xovers.html I'm sure Adam will add his thoughts later, once he gets back home.

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2006, 01:15 pm »
Lots of work, lots of fun!
Phil has done such a great job with the boxes - thanks Phil!
These HT8's are on the home stretch now.

There's a fair number of people who are excited to hear these things once complete.  Hopefully my neighbors won't share overly inverse emotions about them !

/A

mpauly

« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2006, 02:33 pm »
Wow, those are some huge stacks of Caps.  Al, just wondering do they affect the internal volume of the enclosure?  Or were they taken into account in the enclosure's design?  I know, stupid question, but I was just wondering.

Michael

RAW

« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2006, 04:07 pm »
Phil , Adam
Well done :thumb: Those HT8 in Australia are looking very good for sure.
Keep the pictures coming others like to see the kits going together and as well these photos to show what kind of work is involved aa

The crossovers are looking great by the way as well lay out of the crossovers looks correct so far.

The question about the caps yes Adam wanted the Sonicap upgraded stack for the midrange cap.That large stack of Sonicap capacitors along with all the crossover parts have been accounted for yes in the volume of the  cabinet.This is why all the crossover parts in the HT3,HT8,Apex II all are located at the bottom of the cabinet.This also adds more stability to the designs with more added weight to the bottom of the cabinets.

Well done phil

greenie

« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:45 am »
I was just thinking today that last nights pictures of the crossover work might give the impression the boxes are glued up but the front/woofer side + bracings were simply placed loose on the second side to see how the two woofers fitted and how the crossovers fitted under them.

We initial had ideas about placing them elsewhere in the cabinet but I was concerned that if in the future a part failed (highly unlikely) we needed a certain degree of accessibility. Opposite the woofers is actually the only solution in this scenario.

Adam has to finish the wiring, and then I’ll fix/screw the xovers on to the second side and glue the whole side panel in place.

We’ll then wire the drivers in and test – the back will be temporarily clamped on during this period just in case we need to fix any cock-ups. Then when we are certain all is in working order I’ll glue the back on, rout all edges flush and round over vertical edges.

RAW

« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2006, 03:44 pm »
Phil
If you can put the crossovers as follows.
Mid crossover on the lowest brace in the bottom, if not position it across from the woofers and to the rear.
Then on the front wall close to the bottom locate the tweeter crossover and on the bottom brace put the woofer .

Looking good.

PhilG

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2007, 07:46 am »
After a bit of a delay for Christmas, I finally got Adam back and we finished off the wiring between crossovers and drivers. We tested the tweeter xover firstly on a Mid and that see'd fine so we proceeded to connect up and power up off my "second system".

A few more pics can be seen at the bottom of this page http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/ht8s5.html

We had the speaker on trestles and facing in opposite directions but Adam thought the tweeters might be wired out of phase. We hadn't spotted but the ribbon does come marked with +/- (odd?) and we hadn't made a note of the terminals the coloured binding ring came off. However anfter a bit of swapping cables around we decided we where correct the first time and when we moved the cabinets vertical into normal position the sounded great even with one clamped side and no back.