Another Response Audio flood the next 24 hours?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Another Response Audio flood the next 24 hours?
« on: 29 Aug 2006, 03:25 am »
 We have been issued flood watches and warnings thorughout the area starting tonight. They are now saying we could see as much as 3 inches of rain in the next 24 hours which is about the same amount that caused the early July flood.  :scratch:
 I will be watching the Doppler very close the next 24 hours as well as the potential of the Hurricane currently in the South. If this thing tracks up the Eastern seaboard, things could get nasty once again.  :|

EDS_

Re: Another Response Audio flood the next 24 hours?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2006, 04:47 am »
We have been issued flood watches and warnings thorughout the area starting tonight. They are now saying we could see as much as 3 inches of rain in the next 24 hours which is about the same amount that caused the early July flood.  :scratch:
 I will be watching the Doppler very close the next 24 hours as well as the potential of the Hurricane currently in the South. If this thing tracks up the Eastern seaboard, things could get nasty once again.  :|

1. Stay safe.
2. I hope your business is not harmed.
3. Hopefully, you folks will have nice late summer showers-not serious storms
4. Keep us informed.
-Ed

Frihed91

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2006, 05:39 am »
If it is any consolation, Bill, the press in its reporting Ernesto has wildly amplified the probability of hurrican winds as reported by the National Hurricane Center.  Remember: the media loves bad news!  Good news is bad news for them.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2006, 11:49 am »
Bill,

Last one was dubbed a storm of 2 centuries.  You are safe for next 199 years!  :lol: Seriously though, remember all the remnants of hurricanes and other storms that did not flood?  I understand that you are a little wary right now but I think this will blow over.  But I wouldn't blame you if you lifted your electronics off the floor in your basement just in case.   :wink:  Wish you the best. 

Frihed91

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2006, 01:53 pm »
Some kind of hurricane watch has been issued by the National Weather Service, but when you go to the National Hurricane Center's webpage and look at the geographic probabilities of hurricane force winds, the probabilities are now all between 0-5% in Florida.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this one.  No need to take those amps to higher ground!

F-100

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2006, 02:04 pm »
It's time to move West for you, Bill :)
We have no rain out here in Southern California, only earthquake but you should be used to them if you have a big subwoofer in your house. :)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2006, 02:25 pm »
 Hi everyone,

Last one was dubbed a storm of 2 centuries.  You are safe for next 199 years!
You don't understand my luck. I think they meant the storm of 2 months. :lol:

I'n not too concerned about Hurricanes coming up the coast but when you see such a large rain maker that can potentially sit over you and drop over 3 inces of rain in a 24 hour period (as they mentioned last night), you get a bit nervous. I guess people around here are still a bit on edge. We have had severe, unussual flooding the last 3 years and those who reside along the river and were devestated in July are still cleaning up.

It's time to move West for you, Bill
We have no rain out here in Southern California, only earthquake but you should be used to them if you have a big subwoofer in your house

At least with floods, you get some advance warning and have time to get to higher ground. There is no hidding or getting away from an earthquake.
 By the way, I don't even own a subwoofer.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2006, 11:19 pm »
Bill,
    Looks like the rain is over by Endicott, as per the radar. I just got back from Scranton, just south of you....rained heavy going there Sunday, rained heavy coming back today... :evil:
   So....how's your basement ? You have a pump handy....just in case ?

Chris

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2006, 11:29 pm »
 Hi Chris,
 Looks like we didn't get the 3" predicted. Some minor flooding locally but nothing to cause any major concern.
 Pump??? Oh yes, ready at the flick of a switch now!!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2006, 11:33 pm »
Hi Chris,
 Looks like we didn't get the 3" predicted. Some minor flooding locally but nothing to cause any major concern.
 Pump??? Oh yes, ready at the flick of a switch now!!
Thats good Bill !! I think that PA got most of the rain....it really poured. :evil:

OTL

« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2006, 12:09 am »
Got the sump pump kickin' in about every 5 minutes here in Stamford, CT.  Glad to here you're OK up there.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2006, 01:21 am »
Well, looks like we will definitely have to keep an eye out this coming weekend as Ernesto makes it's way up the coast.
 The weather channel already mentioned that the Susquehanna River in this area will be under a heavy flood watch with the rains starting Friday night.
 Let's hope they are off by a few inches.

For everyone throughout the East Coast that has already been hit by this storm, I hope things are not too bad. I see some areas will see up to a foot of rain? Holy Cow, we would be washed off the map with that kind of water.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2006, 04:14 pm »
Hello Everyone,
 I have been receiving a few PM's and emails of concern. I want to thank those who expressed their concern for the potential weekend flooding. Here is a response to one of the PM's I just received.

Believe me, I am watching closely. The Weather channel is now mentioning Binghamton NY (that's me) on a regular basis with estimates of 2-4 inches likely. Due to our current situation of already high creek and river levels, anything over an inch is going to cause problems. A major, large creek is within 100 yards of the store which empties into the Susquehanna River, it the river gets too high, obviously the creek has nowhere to go and backs up. This is what cause the July flood in my neighborhood.
 I had to take the day off from "actual work" to get things prepared. Making sure the sumps are operational and so on. The problem we have is that if this turns out to be anything like early July, our efforts will do noting to prevent a recurrence.
 We'll see what the weekend brings.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2006, 04:22 pm »
Wish you a dry basement.  Good luck.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2006, 07:58 pm »
Wish you a dry basement.  Good luck

In all honesty, I am not really too worried about this as the chances of it getting as bad as it was in July are slim (I hope). The frustration for me comes in when watching the weather channel. When they do the local forecast, the mention only about 1 -2  inches but when they speak of the storm and follow the path, they are indicating 2-4+ inches for Binghamton NY. Who do you believe? I guess the truth will come over the weekend.

If it does get as bad as before, there is NOTHING we can do as the pumps in the area simply get overwhelmed and shut down.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2006, 01:36 pm »
Looks like we will not get as much as expected. Some localized flooding but nothing major is expected over the weekend. The rivers will crest tomorrow but probably not over their banks.
 That's two weekends in a row we have escaped the wrath of Mother Nature. :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2006, 04:38 am »
Everything ok in the basement Bill ?
Something I've been thinking about....you had considered a move to PA before you took this location your in now. How did that area fair during the last flood ? Thanks.....Chris