want to build a RA-8

winggee

• Turborocco
want to build a RA-8
« on: 24 Aug 2006, 05:45 pm »
I'm seriously considering buying this kit. I really enjoy building things and it would be awesome to say I built these. I'm still debating if i want to build the front first or wait off and build the pair first. I hope I can save up enough money by sept 1 to get the deal on $1 shipping.

I'm all about very wide and deep sound stages. From what i've read, these have very good imaging and wide sound stage.

A few questions though. I know i can build the enclosure no problem. My concern is the finishing work. I want to make sure build these right and have a really nice look to them as well. I've never used a router before. I don't know how to make nice rounded edges and do veneering. I heard quotes for veneering in the $1k range.. that's just too much for me. Rather do it myself.

If anybody has any pointers on the building and finishing work, that would be awesome!

I'm pretty stoked about this. I built a st35 from diytube.com and want to match them up with these in the time being. I'm all about diy. :D

Please help build the hype up for me. ;)

Thanks
Wing

Berndt

Re: want to build a RA-8
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2006, 06:26 pm »
You mighty consider the color impregnated mdf.
http://www.archipedia.org/materials/mdfcolor

All you have to do is seal them after construction.

You can also powdercoat mdf...
http://www.powdercoating.org/wood/content.htm

R_burke

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2006, 07:06 pm »
If I had any skills I'd go with the colored MDF, powder coating is nice, but another step in the process that makes the project longer and more steps = more chances for errors

Here's a site that has the colored MDF

http://www.greatlakesmdf.com/spectratech.php

winggee

• Turborocco
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2006, 08:10 pm »
That's kinda cool. I didn't know colored MDF existed. My only problem with it, is that screw heads would show. I'd like a classy look, but just not sure how involved it is. I could use fabric but that doesn't really appeal to me.

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming.

Thanks!
Wing

Berndt

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2006, 09:48 pm »
You could use a nice screw, instead of hiding the screw show it off.
I am thinking of a stainless steel flat head that uses a snake eye drive.

http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_sp_ohsts.htm

samplesj

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2006, 09:53 pm »
My only problem with it, is that screw heads would show.

Screw heads???  What screws, as long as you have enough clamps to hold it while it dries wood glue is just fine.

What is wrong with paint though?  There are tricks to get a nice deep finish, but even a rattle can might pass muster depending on how picky you and/or your SO are.

My HT speakers are just flat black.  My wife's pair in the den are just a few coats with a rattle can.  I toyed with the idea of my wife's dad painting them since he has done auto painting a lot, but it just wasn't worth the extra cost of the material (he wouldn't have charged for time, but the nicer paint isn't cheap).

Jeremy

winggee

• Turborocco
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2006, 10:56 pm »
I guess my thinking was. I'm already spending alot of money on this kit, might as well go the extra mile to make it look nice. I guess "nice" is all relative to people. heh. theres always formica, but i don't know if theres anything that would look decent. There's always flat black formica.

As for screws. I rather have screws holding in the braces as i'm not confident in my carpentry skills.

Keep all the finishing suggestions coming. I have no idea what people are using for their diy speakers and so far the response has been great.

Thanks!
Wing

samplesj

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2006, 11:22 pm »
High gloss paint finishes like Piano Black don't absolutely require a spray gun.   If you look around you'll find lots of people that have done it with just multiple coats and lots of sanding.

R_burke

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2006, 12:59 am »
Annodized screws could work, as could plated ones.  I know I've seen black annodized ones as well as brass and gold plated screws.

Lots of choices to go with either colored or painted mdf

GO FOR IT  :thumb:

Midnite Mick

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2006, 02:37 am »
I am currently using formica on the ones that I am building.  I found one that is a shiny black with a bit of texture kind of look, almost sparkly to the texture.  Just thought I would throw that out there.

Screws are a waist of time IMO, unless you intend to use them for cosmetic reasons.

Mike

winggee

• Turborocco
« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2006, 02:10 pm »
Welp. WAF kicked in. Talked to the GF. When I mentioned high gloss piano black, she loved the thought of that look. She said she would prefer high gloss piano black instead of a wood veneer. soo.. I guess I better start looking on how to paint. Has anybody done a high quality paint job before? I'm sure it's much more involved than primer, paint, clear coat. seems easier than veneering wood. :)

Thanks
Wing

Midnite Mick

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2006, 09:47 pm »
Found an excellent link on this.  I haven't tried it myself.  I'll post it when I find it.

Mike

EProvenzano

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2006, 09:48 pm »
Having done both, it's much more difficult to achieve mirror gloss black than applying wood veneer.
I have access to down draft paint booths, HVLP spray guns, and automotive high solids primers, base coats and clear coats.  Do yourself a favour and use a gloss black laminate and apply it like you would any veneer.  BUT be careful this is still much more difficult that using real wood veneer. The laminate can chip and is nearly impossible to make spot repairs.

After doing a couple projects, I think veneering is a piece of cake.  You'll only need a few cheap tools and materials.  If you decide to use real wood (easiest), the finish can be as easy as 2 coats of wipe on Tung Oil and you're done.  If your significant other enjoys a more contemporary, dark look perhaps she might like some nice ebony or dark walnut veneer.

Good luck!

Midnite Mick

« Reply #13 on: 25 Aug 2006, 09:53 pm »

Berndt

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2006, 12:04 am »
I might reconsider using the colored mdf with a interesting clear coat, pearlecent or light metal flake, giving a candy finish...
The through color makes damage repair as painless as reshooting the clear.
I think the colored mdf is a new exciting avenue for diy.

EProvenzano

« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2006, 12:09 am »
His technique and method will work.
It's not exactly how I rub out paint but there's no one way to do this.  I would caution the use of the palm sander.  Yes it will make quick work, however, if you're not extremely careful you'll easily burn through the edges.

After reading only two paragraphs of his tutorial, it cemented my belief that real wood veneer would be much easier to apply.

Whatever you choose, with a little time and care you'll end up with a finish worthy of your living room.

Have fun!

Midnite Mick

« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2006, 12:45 am »
Yeah, finishing can be really tough.  That coloured MDF looks very interesting to me and may yield some unique finishes.  Would make things a lot easier as even vaneers can be damaged by trimming, etc.  However, I have yet to see that product in my area.  Something to look forward to.  How does the price compare to regular MDF?

Mike

fajimr

« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug 2006, 01:20 am »
wing... i just wanted to chime in how difficult (but not imposible from what I have seen) that piano gloss finish is to get as I am working on some shelves now and thought I'd give it a try.....  I've already went through a number of cans of primer and gloss paint!!!!  (albeit there is a lot of surface for 4 18"x24" shelves)

if you go for it, make sure you've got a nice coat of primer on the mdf- if you don't have a nice even coat over the entire surface, you'll have to start all over again- take it from me  :lol: 

jim

winggee

• Turborocco
« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2006, 09:11 pm »
Interesting.. I never thought the finish was going to as difficult as i originally thought it was. How do other speaker manufacturers do it? do they use some sort of laminate? how do we get these laminates?

Thanks
Wing

R_burke

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2006, 10:47 pm »
It's only a guess, but I would think that speaker manufacturers use a spray booth similar to car paint booth.  Spray painting, sanding and painting again and again isn't difficult with the right equipment, but few of us have the right equipment at home for our DIY projects.

Got any friends or relatives that work at an auto body shop  8)