Can you guys use a new member?

hartwerger

« on: 6 Mar 2006, 07:52 pm »
I live in Baltimore County and have been looking to be involved with a group of audiophiles for quite awhile, but have had limited time to do so.  In fact, wondering if you guys are the same ones from Baltimore that started on Audiogon back in September/October? If so, I had hoped to attend the first meeting, but my schedule got screwed up.  My work and family life seems to be easing somewhat and I am in a better position to make a commitment.  I think I read that your group has 25 members.  That's a lot of people.  Are you still accepting new members? Where are you holding meetings? I don't think I could fit 25 people in my listening room.  Anyway, I have been smitten with audiophile nervosa for the last few years.  Though my family and friends share my eclectic taste in music, they don't seem to share my neurosis for good sound.   As previously stated, my taste in music is fairly eclectic; I enjoy almost all music--classical, jazz, rock, folk, bluegrass, country (more alt. country than mainstream), and world music.  Probably easier to list what I don't listen to than what I do listen to which is opera and hip-hop, though I can tolerate both genres much more than most people my age.  My current system is:  Ah Tjoeb CD player w/ upsampler, Rega P2 turntable w/ RB300 tonearm and Grado Sonata Cartridge, Mapletree Audio Ultra 4A (with some modifications) tube preamp, Ice H2O amp, Magnepan 3.6 speakers.  Be happy to provide more info about me, if needed.  Just let me know if you guys are accepting new members.  If not, that's ok too.   Thanks.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2006, 08:38 pm »
I don't think we are the same one as the Audiogon group you mention but you are quite welcome to join our circle.  The only initiation rite is that you have to wear a scarlet letter A for a day to work and explain that you suffer from audiophila nervousa when asked why.  :mrgreen:  :lol:  :mrgreen: Seriously, welcome to the circle.  Post often and let's get together on our next meeting.  I have a small gathering this Saturday to compare some power conditioners - Felicia, EPA EP15A, RSA Haley and Audiophile APS Purepower 1050;  Bolder Ultimate PS for Squeezebox against stock, HP/Agilant lab grade PS, stock PS and a RWA unit; and demo a pair of Response Audio Bella SP/AV1.  You are welcome to participate if don't mind driving to NOVA.

hartwerger

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2006, 08:58 pm »
I don't think I'll have to wear the scarlet letter as my co-workers already know there is something wrong with me.  I recently had a co-worker come to my home and he saw my Magnepan speakers, which are very tall and thin.  He had never seen a planar speaker before and I got the usual reaction of "what the hell is that".  The next day at the office I had several people come up to me with questions about my "strange" stereo.  Since then, I have had to explain how planars work to a sea of blank stares and that I have nothing agains iPods (kind of like them actually). Anyway, thanks for the welcome and sorry for the confusion with the other group (there's a group of Baltimorons meeting out there somewhere, but I don't know where they are).  I saw a post on the MAAC that you had a previous meeting in Catonsville which is not far from me so I thought you guys were more Baltimore based, but I now realize you are all over the Mid-atlantic.  That's fine.  I don't know if I'll be able to make a meeting of Saturday in Northern VA.  If I can, I'll bring a Brickwall surge protector which has some EMI/RF filtering, ie., some conditioning.  Anyway, I'll be lurking around here and will try to get involved when I can--I'll be the poster with the scarlet letter A.

Dave G

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2006, 12:39 am »
Hey, I hope you join us, if not at Woodsyi's this Saturday, then at future meetings.  I really like your equipment (esp. the Mapletree preamp) and your taste in music.  

Woodsyi has a truly outstanding system, by the way.  If you're at all able to get free this Saturday, you ought to join us there.

Hope to see you soon.

Dave

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2006, 12:40 am »
Yes, my old member isn't performing the way it......oh, wait, wrong forum......

Dave G

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2006, 12:48 am »
Thanks for the laugh, John!    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Gordy

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2006, 05:05 am »
Well, we ended up with 5 member's, functioning or otherwise, at Woodsyi's today.  We had a chance to compare 5 or 6 types of sushi, 3 or 4 micro brews, 3 power conditioners, 3 versions of moded SB's/PSs's and even had a chance to give the new Bella SP speakers a listen...  8)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2006, 07:27 am »
Quote from: Gordy
Well, we ended up with 5 member's, functioning or otherwise, at Woodsyi's today.  We had a chance to compare 5 or 6 types of sushi, 3 or 4 micro brews, 3 power conditioners, 3 versions of moded SB's/PSs's and even had a chance to give the new Bella SP speakers a listen...  8)
Great !! Can't wait to hear your comments on the micro brews....ugh, I mean ...the power conditioners and Bella Speakers !! 8)

Dave G

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2006, 01:50 pm »
LW2,

I'll let someone else go first on the power supply and SB comparisons, but I brought a six-pack of my current fave micro brew -- Nugget Nectar ale from Troegs Brewing Co. out of Harrisburg, PA.  Highly-hopped, but full-bodied, unlike some hopped up beers that are too dry for my taste.  7.5% alc/vol., so be careful!

Dave

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2006, 03:46 pm »
Quote from: Dave G
LW2,

I'll let someone else go first on the power supply and SB comparisons, but I brought a six-pack of my current fave micro brew -- Nugget Nectar ale from Troegs Brewing Co. out of Harrisburg, PA.  Highly-hopped, but full-bodied, unlike some hopped up beers that are too dry for my taste.  7.5% alc/vol., so be careful!

Dave
Thanks Dave for the info....looks interesting..... :thankyou:
    Chris[/list:u]

maxwalrath

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2006, 05:13 pm »
If you have the chance next winter, give Troegs Mad Elf a try. Great seasonal brew...also strong.

SWG255

Too bad I missed it
« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2006, 09:06 pm »
I really regret not making yesterday's gathering at Woodsyi's. I really wanted to compare those micro-brews, but I was feeling a little under the weather. I'm not sure i could've contributed anything meaningful to the audio comparisons either, my ears were a little plugged-up. Woodsyi did really try to get me to come though.

Anyway, we are not an exclusive bunch, and we should find a way to get some gatherings up in the Baltimore area, somehow. Woodsyi's hospitality is famous though, and believe me, very hard to turn down.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2006, 05:52 am »
woodsyi:
    I have a small gathering this Saturday to compare some power conditioners - Felicia, EPA EP15A, RSA Haley and Audiophile APS Purepower 1050; Bolder Ultimate PS for Squeezebox against stock, HP/Agilant lab grade PS, stock PS and a RWA unit; and demo a pair of Response Audio Bella SP/AV1. You are welcome to participate if don't mind driving to NOVA.
    [/list:u]
      So....how'd it go...any comments ? Thanks !!! :wink: [/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]

woodsyi

• Volunteer
    • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
    « Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2006, 02:27 pm »
    The Ultimate Power Supply (UPS) did not arrive until Monday and it arrived with a broken board.  How is this for a caption:  FEDEX destroys UPS! Anyway I temporarily glued the board back with liquid nail and tape.  It is working fine.  I have been listening for a couple of nights and a couple of guys are coming over to listen tonight.  After that we will follow up with a detailed report.  Here is a little teaser:  Bolder UPS does make you listen to music instead of notes.

Gordy

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2006, 02:49 pm »
    FedEx destroys UPS... or vice versa... happens all the time  :?