Winder blues?

SWG255

Winder blues?
« on: 9 Feb 2006, 01:25 am »
It's been too quiet around here for the last three weeks. Now that I'm feeling better maybe it's time to make some noise.

So, what are folks listening to, to drive away the mid-winter blues? I've been listening to Imogen Heap, Alejandro Escovedo, Los Lobos, Stravinsky, Duke Ellington, Cowboy Junkies and Crosby / Nash.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Winder blues?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2006, 03:10 am »
Good to hear you are well again.  I had a touch of that dastardly winter coughs for a few days too.  I have a bundle of audio things going on at the moment the chief one being breaking in a pair of Bella SP/AV1.  I am listening to Freedom CD from Earth Beat Record featuring Sweet Honey In the Rock among others, L'Elisir d'Amore featuring Domingo and Cortrubas, Cowboy Junkies 21st Century Blues, and the Best of Burning Bush.

DTB300

Winder blues?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2006, 02:42 pm »
Amanda McBroom - Live at Rainbow and Stars
Danzi - String Quintets
Holly Cole - Shade
Enya - Amarantine
Tim Timmerman - Life as we know it
Gary Stadler - Faire Heartsongs
Handel - Concerto Grossi Op 3

wje

Winder blues?
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2006, 06:28 pm »
The best way to beat the winter blues is to stay busy. :)

I've been carrying a full load this winter - lots of changes.

New job: was hired in in a full-time position, rather than as a consultant.  It's great to have some cheaper benefits, again.

Vintage gear: Purchased 3 vintage Sansui receivers that I'm going through at the moment.  I'm sure I'll sell them all off after the work has been done.  I love the sound, but don't feel I'm prepared to give them the proper attention to keep 'em running.  They're built like tanks, but I might as well buy some stock in De-Oxit to keep the pots clean.

Newer gear: I have a Music Hall integrated amp on the way.  Looking forward to seeing how it performs in the next week or so.

House sale: We're prepping to list our home in a month.  I had an appraisal done yesterday to pin-point a selling price.  We're going to stay in FFX county as my daughter needs a school with a capable orchestra as she's a violinist.

Home renovations: I've done some outside work over my free weekends by installing crown moldings and painting bathrooms for some extra $$.  

That's about all.  I guess I don't feel any boredom setting in.  However, I do miss my music at times when things get too busy.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Winder blues?
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2006, 07:54 pm »
Keeping busy is good. Sounds like you got a full plate.  What school district are you looking at?

bunky

Winder blues?
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2006, 02:43 am »
I have been as busy as a one armed paper hanger. all of the gasoline terminals on the east coast are installing piping systems to blend ethanol with thier gasoline and my company is doing fourteen systems in four states. in my limited spare time i managed to order a BAT VK 3i preamplifier from upscale audio in California and i recieved it yesterday.  i am very impressed with the build quality and it sounds very nice in my system.thanks...WCW III

wje

Winder blues?
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2006, 02:39 pm »
Rim,

We're looking at Robinson, Lake Braddock and parts of Herndon - which feed into Oakton.  There's some good places out there and I'm kind of surprised at how good the prices can be.  

Bunky,

You sound crazy busy.  Good to hear you had some time for picking up some gear, though.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Winder blues?
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2006, 03:03 pm »
Quote from: wje
Rim,

We're looking at Robinson, Lake Braddock and parts of Herndon - which feed into Oakton.  There's some good places out there and I'm kind of surprised at how good the prices can be.  

I grew up in KPW and walked to Robinson.  We moved to Burke in my senior year but I drove to Robinson instead of going to Lake Braddock.  My mom is still there.  Herndon is growing up like weed.  They won't be going to Oakton for long -- a new HS has to be built out there. By the way, both Robinson and Lake Braddock already integrated fairly well but Oakton is still predominantly WASPpy  with a lot of spoiled brats (with demanding parents who want all As but don't care if they actual learn anything)-- this is what I hear from my sister who teaches there.  So, take that information with a grain of salt.    :wink:

ricmon

Winder blues?
« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2006, 03:45 pm »
I'v been listing to to lps.  Since I built my diy TT iso platform.  wood frame tennis balls and a concret paver form HD.  The B52's great sound plenty of bass, Parlement Up for the down stoke, The Talking Heads and some new stuff from the Elusive Disk (CASSANDRA WILSON/TRAVELING MILES 180g 2LP and ERIC CLAPTON/JOURNEYMAN 180g LP ).  My home made iso platform has made a huge differnce aslo Geroge Clintons new cd How Late Do U Have 2 B B 4 U R Absent?