HT3 Kit On-Order!

audioferret

HT3 Kit On-Order!
« on: 8 Dec 2005, 01:39 am »
Well, I took the plunge...let's see how it turns out.

I will create a web site to document my progress as I build these babys and keep the circle informed on my progress.   :mrgreen:

-AudioFerret

audiojerry

HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2005, 02:56 am »
Great idea - keep us posted and thanks!

kenk

HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2005, 04:19 am »
Good to hear.   One thing to consider as the WR125 took forever to break-in, I actually took them out and ran them directly from my amp w/o any boxes (in full range) to loosen them up.

Ken

kfr01

HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2005, 06:44 am »
Start sorting out your poorly recorded music now.  The WR125 is one revealing little sucker.  :-)

audioferret:  first kit?

audioferret

First Kit
« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2005, 07:21 am »
Yep, my eyes are larger than my skills...

I have soldering and woodworking experience, along with tweaking my other electonics...I will ask for help as soon as I step outside of my comfort zone.  I don't want to screw this up.

As soon as I get them, I will knock out the crossover and start them in an open baffle to get them burned in and work out the stiffness of the drivers.

I think I will knock out a Felicia Power Conditioner first.  I was really enjoying my "Phantom of the Opera" soundtrack until my wife pressed the garage door opener.  The "Music of the Night" suffered.  :x

audioferret

HT3 kit in the house!
« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2005, 11:02 pm »
My first web entry for my planned construction of the HT3 is posted below.

Thanks to all the folks at RAW for quick delivery of such a fine product!

http://www.geocities.com/ghaunadaur99/audio/ht3.html

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2005, 11:16 pm »
Enjoy...I have a finished pair in my system right now. I just spent my luch hour listning to Tim Reynolds - Nomadic Wavelength...lets just say I was late getting back to work!

audioferret

Wood on Order!
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2005, 05:29 am »
I have just ordered two sheets of wood to build my speakers.  I visited the local Lumber Company (NOT Home Depot...) and they helped me source some B2 Grade, 14 ply, .75inch Baltic Birch Plywood.
  This wood is normally used in the construction of pianos.  Even the C Grade 7-Ply they had on hand was far superior to what I could find at HD.  I can't wait to see the B2 Grade!
  What really blows my mind is that Sonus Faber 1. Makes their own plywood. 2. Applies it in THIRTY-TWO-PLY thickness!!!  Wow...

I just love this hobby, you learn such neat things! :P

audioferret

Question about Crossovers
« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2005, 05:21 pm »
In the HT3 Kit, the crossover schematic does not show any series connections for each crossover.  I take it that that means that I should run them in parallel with a full-range signal going to each crossover?

Thanks

RAW

HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2005, 07:25 pm »
Yes run the 3 boards + to + and - to -
Just sent a sample layout.
via Email to you.
 8)

audioferret

First Cuts are made!
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2005, 05:21 am »
All parts are in...
...all planning is complete...

I spent $30 to rent a nice table saw from Home depot today and made all of the cuts for my HT3s! (I needed to do that so I can fit the wood in my Jeep)  I will be TDY (military types know what that means) at FT Huachuca AZ for the next month.  The post has a free Crafts shop that I can use to do the detail work.  My weekends will be filled with speaker making and web site updating!  As soon as I finish with my Felicia testing, I will start adding the pages for the HT3s to my web site.

-AF

audiojerry

HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2005, 07:12 am »
It's a good thing you are building floorstanders. Those bar stools you are using are pretty sorry versions of speaker stands     :lol:

audioferret

Yeah...I know
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2005, 07:11 pm »
They're the right height, I had them on hand, and they match the decor of the rest of the room.  It is really hard to explain a $100.00 pair of speaker stands to the S/O.  Bar stools will do for now :wink:

On another note, I just got my phone bill.  $48.00 to call Canada with some questions on the HT3s.  Ouch!

-AF

audioferret

Preliminary Testing
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2006, 05:54 am »
Well,  I have finally finished the speakers.  I just have some detail work and veneering/staining to do.  I think I might have screwed up on the veneering.  It just occurred to me that I should do the veneering BEFORE mounting the drivers and speaker posts...

Oh well, I will figure a way around it.  I will post pictures to my website this week as I settle back down from my Army Training Stuff....

First Song: Hotel California - Hell Freezes Over
2nd: Blue - Playboy Jazz II, Disk 2
3rd: Stairway to Heaven - Zoso

So far, INCREDIBLE.  

-AF

kenk

Re: Preliminary Testing
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2006, 07:12 am »
Quote from: audioferret
Well,  I have finally finished the speakers.  I just have some detail work and veneering/staining to do.  I think I might have screwed up on the veneering.  It just occurred to me that I should do the veneering BEFORE mounting the drivers and speaker posts...

Oh well, I will figure a way around it.  I will post pictures to my website this week as I settle back down from my Army Training Stuff....

First Song: Hotel California - Hell Freezes Over
2nd: Blue - Playboy Jazz II, Disk 2
3rd: Stairway to Heaven - Zoso

So far, INCREDIBLE.  

-AF

Hi audioferret,

FYI, the midrange will take at least 40-60 hours to break-in.

Enjoy as I love my HT3.

Ken

audioferret

Crossover Fixed
« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2006, 03:02 pm »
I was doing some testing and determined that on one of the crosovers, I had placed the 2.7mh inductor in the wrong place.   :oops: The correction made, the speakers sound much better.  WOW!   :D

The imaging snapped into place and is really clear.  I was wondering if the imaging issues I noticed were just from driver break-in, but the crossover was the problem.  The speakers now have about 20 hours on them.  :wink:

-AF

BradJudy

HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2006, 04:42 pm »
AF -  Out of curiosity, what local wood place did you go to for your ply?

audioferret

Plywood Source
« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2006, 03:18 pm »
I went to Boulder Lumber off of Valmont.  They special-ordered me two sheets of 13-Ply Piano Grade Baltic Birch.  About $45 for a 5' x 5' sheet.  

Very Nice Stuff!

-AF

audioferret

Website Updated
« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2006, 03:32 am »
I have added the first two pages documenting the construciton of my HT3s!  8)
http://www.geocities.com/ghaunadaur99/audio/ht3.html

http://www.geocities.com/ghaunadaur99/audio/ht32.html

-AF

audiojerry

HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2006, 03:07 am »
Thanks for sharing your project.
I wish more members were willing to contribute and share.
Please keep us posted on your progress.