Where is everybody???

DTB300

Where is everybody???
« on: 7 Dec 2005, 05:48 pm »
Kind of dead here lately....too much Turkey for everyone and still on that lull?

Things have been a little busy for me audio wise.  

I received my new tubes 12AX7 for my Pre and really liked the change I heard.   Picked up 3 RCA 1950's Long Plates.

I am auditioning some interconnects to find the one (or other one) I like in my system.  I have 6 IC's that I am going to start listening to and find the one I like.  I have 3 name-brand and 2 DIY's.   It may be time to have a few folks over to get their impressions on the IC's, but remember I make the final decision Ha Ha Ha!!!!  - anyone up for it?

Oh...and I should be getting a new power cord for my amp this week...but the company has told me this before (a couple of weeks ago it should have arrived) so only time will tell when it will get here.

Dan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Where is everybody???
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2005, 06:07 pm »
I have been thinking the same.  Seems very quiet.  I haven't done much since our meeting.  I have the CDWG ordered for my speakers which should get here next week.  I have another PS for my TT which is a big improvement.  I also have been breaking in Bolder modified SB2 for a while.  Once I get the wave guide and do the Black Hole damping, I would like to have a few people over to check out the sound but I think somebody else should step up for the next meeting.  Unfortunately the rest of the year is booked with holiday parties of all sorts.  Dan, I would like to come over to hear yours stuff early next year.  Let me know when is good for you.

Joules

Where is everybody???
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2005, 08:11 pm »
Well - I'm still here. things are a bit distracted this time of year, with the hollidays and all. I'm still tweak'n and peek'n my new system. It'll soon be ready for prime time. At wich point I'll open my door for you guys and gals to audition  :D

Hey Woodsyi - how does that Sq Bx sound compaired to your cd player. I'm giving PC CD great concideration. Can you also play CD's real time with that too?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Where is everybody???
« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2005, 08:52 pm »
Quote from: Joules

Hey Woodsyi - how does that Sq Bx sound compaired to your cd player. I'm giving PC CD great concideration. Can you also play CD's real time with that too?

I am going to reserve commenting on my Bolder modified (full with silver bybee on the digital out) SB2 until it's definitely broken in and I am sure the wireless connection is as good as it gets in my house (more fiddling with settings and relays and what not).  A quick comparison among SB2 analog out, SB2 digital out to my DAC and my transport to the same DAC shows difference in output volume.  I expected analog out would be lower than digital out to my DAC but what what surprises me is that digital out from SB2 into my DAC is lower than the same music played through my transport into the same DAC.  The only difference is that SB2 digital out goes into SPDIF input on my DAC via Bolder digital cable with silver bullet where as my transport connect to RJ45 terminated I2S input (directly upsampled to 192) via Revelation Audio prophecy cable. A review will come soon as I will have more time now that my golf season  seems to be over with snow covering the course.

bunky

Where is everybody???
« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2005, 09:14 pm »
i ordered some NOS Amperex 7308s from Bruce Wenger of BWS consulting in Arlington Va and i am very pleased to report that they sound great in my Anthem Pre 1L linestage.there is not alot going on right now as i am busy with work and the getting ready for christmas routine. thanks....WCW III

Chris_B

Where is everybody???
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2005, 01:56 am »
I've also been playing with tubes for my preamp (Modwright SWL 9.0SE).  I just auditioned a pair of cryo'd Amperex 7119 NOS from Bruce Wenger.  Other than that, I have been enjoying the Christmas music.  

Dan - I am up for an IC audition session.

Woodsyi - I am still kicking myself for missing the meeting at your place.  If we can work it out, I would love to stop by at your convenience to hear your speakers.  I have always wanted to hear the RM40s and the SB.

DTB300

Where is everybody???
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2005, 02:20 am »
Quote from: Chris_B
Dan - I am up for an IC audition session.

What are you doing Saturday  :?:   Wife is working all day, so it makes it a perfect time and I will have all the 6 cables I want to try out.  If you are up to it, PM me.  I know it is short notice for you or any others that want to come over.  

Like I stated earlier, I will have three name brand models, and a couple of DIY models.  Not a "significant test" but a test of some cables that I have available to compare.  You are also welcome to bring some others.  I usually do my testing from CD/SACD player to Pre Amp as I have two outputs from player and it is easy to change from one cable to the other without having to stop, switch, then play.

Dan

DTB300

Today...
« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2005, 07:49 pm »
Chris stopped over today and brought with him his Modwright 999ES player along with some Quattro Reference IC's.  Thanks for stopping by Chris!!!

I had just picked up some JPS Labs IC's this week and really liked what I heard compared to my previous IC's from Audioquest and DH Labs, but the Quattro Reference was a really nice sounding IC.  The JPS was slightly brighter sounding (could be due to how new it is...but it was brighter).  Vocals were about the same along with Bass.  I made a post over at the Odyssey forum...anyone here know the cost of the QR with WBT's???

The Modwright 999ES was also played compared to my 999ES which only has OpAmp's replaced.  The Modwright had more detail, instruments had much better seperation (music sounded more congested on my player), and the Bass reproduction (Chris has a Harry Connick disc) of a stand-up bass was much better.  Vocals were similar on both players, but the Modwright just had a better overall sound than the "fairly" stock player that I own.  The Modwright player really showed how good or bad the source being played was.  A true sign of a good component.

We really did not change many cables out as all the othe cables I had were not as good sounding as the JPS Labs cable I just picked up.  Let me also say here that the JPS Cable has changed over the past couple of days and it will be interesting to see if I hear any more changes.  Maybe I can get Chris to bring his QR cable over again or borrow it to see if the JPS cable changed.  Sometimes I feel that some of the changes we hear are from getting used to the sound rather than something actually changing...the listener breaks-in over time :)

Anyhow...it was a nice short afternoon as Chris was beckoned home by the wife for a minor home crisis that needed to be addressed.  Hope everything was ok Chris...

Dan

Chris_B

Where is everybody???
« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2005, 01:22 am »
Dan,

Thanks again for having me over for a quick listen.  It was a short visit but very enjoyable.  We did a pretty good job comparing cables and redbook/sacd sources.  I was able to quickly stop the leak in our down stairs bathroom so crisis averted :).

For everyone's enjoyment - Dan has a very nice sounding system with the Martin Logan CLSII planars.  This is only the second time I have listened to MLs and each time I am very impressed.  I love the "wall of sound" effect they have.  It is a really engrossing experience. As you would guess, they are different than the dynamic driver speakers that most of us are used to.  If you want a truly big sound, it is hard to top a big speaker.

As Dan said, a few things stood out.  The Odyssey Quattro Reference IC are pretty good.  This was the first time I actually compared two sets of ICs by switching source outputs via a preamp remote.  ICs really can make a difference with timber and tone based on the rest of your system.  Our comparison of the near-stock Sony 999ES and my Modwright 999ES was pretty interesting too.  Bottom line, the reviews you have read about Dan Wright's mods should be believed.  

Dan also has a very effective subwoofer EQ tool in the Velodyne SMS-1 http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=15&sid=923p967j.  It made me think about putting a sub into my 2 channel system again.  In my experience, almost every sub has been too boomy and loose for 2 channel.  The SMS-1 balanced out Dan's sub perfectly.  I have a decent 15" sub sitting around doing nothing.  If I can find a SMS-1, it would make my sub really fill out the bottom of my system.

Thanks again Dan for having me over.  I learned that it is really fun to listen to planars, the SMS-1 is a great subwoofer EQ and that my ICs and redbook/sacd player are pretty good components.  I am looking forward to having you and other MAACers down sometime to return the favor.

take care,

Chris

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Where is everybody???
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2005, 05:23 am »
Sorry I missed it.  I had a Christmas party to go to.  That Velodyne unit looks very cool.  I have set up my mom with a pair of Soundlab A5's and 2 SVS subs with an active x-over but the subs are not well integrated in her room.  This may be what's needed to get those subs to sound right.    Dan, I will have to check your system out to see how you do it.  Chris, I will have to get you over to check out my subs in my 2 channel set up.  They are not boomy.  8)  I also have the (in)famous VMPS CDWG for my RM40s coming next week.........

DTB300

Where is everybody???
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2005, 01:58 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
Chris, I will have to get you over to check out my subs in my 2 channel set up.  They are not boomy.

Woodsyi....the bass on your setup was very good, and all the Real Traps in the room (12 pieces if I remember correctly), plus other room treatments has to also help with what you have achieved.

I just could not afford all that room treatment, and the SMS-1 for it's price did a heck of a job for me.  A good result for the price I could afford.

Dan

Chris_B

Where is everybody???
« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2005, 03:41 pm »
woodsyi - I am looking forward to hearing your system.  Dan commented on how good the bass was.  

My 2 channel rig is in my family room.  I have 2 realtraps in the corners behind the speakers but that is about as many room treatments that I can get past the wife.  The SMS-1 may be the next best think for taming subwoofer induced bass boominess.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Where is everybody???
« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2005, 06:42 pm »
Chris or anybody else interested.  I just had a tearful  :wink: send off of my wife and daughter to Philadelphia for 3 days.  She has a couple of presentation to give at a convention.  She will be back Wednesday.  So for the next 3 nights I will be a batchelor.  What to do.... We can hook up Monday or Tuesday evening for an audio session.  I still got a bunch of fine beer left over from the meeting and I, of course, keep a good supply of single malt Scotch and red wine. :mrgreen:

Joules

Where is everybody???
« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2005, 07:07 pm »
woodsyi - your Great !
Getting around this area in the week day evnings is not for the faint of hart. - tho tempting.  :D
I wanta her that sq bx vs cdp compairison and you have just the system for a good compairison !!

wje

Where is everybody???
« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2005, 02:34 pm »
I've been working on the "honey do" lists of late.  Items keep getting added.  Fortunately, I still have over a week to get things wrapped up before the guests arrive.  

Unfortunately, no new toys for me (hardware related) due to the purchase of new kitchen appliances.  However, I did get some more music and videos.  Cream - Live at the Royal Albert Hall (2005 edition) is a great DVD.  Thanks for the recommendation, Dan.

-- Wayne

Dave G

Where is everybody???
« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2005, 03:14 pm »
Well, I should be joining the Squeezebox club later this week, when I receive my Red Wine Audio-modded Squeezebox 3.  I've been diligently loading my CD collection on to our home office computer and, presuming I've done that correctly (thanks for your help, Woodsyi!), I should be ready to play anything in our collection on my system down in the basement via a wireless connection.  All reports are that I should get sound quality that is significantly better than what I've been getting from my decent, but not outstanding NAD CD player.  I can't wait!

The report on Dan's SMS-1 is very interesting.  When and if I introduce a subwoofer into my system I'll have to take a look at it.  

I've been having a lot of fun listening to new music I got out of the session at Woodsyi's house -- the Russell Dawkins Prokofiev recording, the jazzy bluegrass stuff (Skip, Hop & Wobble), and some Neil Young.      

Woodsyi -- would you please explain to me how your wife went on a business trip and took your daughter with her?!!? All I know is that when MY wife goes on a business trip, I'm a single parent to 3 kids until she gets back.  What's your secret?   :D

Chris -- you must live close by.  We live in McLean near Kirby Road.

DTB300

Where is everybody???
« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2005, 03:22 pm »
Quote from: wje
Cream - Live at the Royal Albert Hall (2005 edition) is a great DVD.  Thanks for the recommendation, Dan.

If you are a Cream fan, it is really a nice DVD and has a great collection of Cream songs.  Glad to hear you liked it!!

Dan

DTB300

Where is everybody???
« Reply #17 on: 12 Dec 2005, 03:27 pm »
Quote from: Dave G
The report on Dan's SMS-1 is very interesting. When and if I introduce a subwoofer into my system I'll have to take a look at it.

I tried to talk about the SMS-1 a little bit during the first MAAC meeting, but it did not seem to go over too well :)  I guess hearing the unit in action is much better than reading some literature :D  It has been a great addition to my system and the sound quality.  Now with the bass tighten up and the boominess removed, I am now working on taming down the high end that used to be masked by the boominess.

Audio geeks in general get too wrapped up into new additions to our system with components and cables, and we forget that the room is one of the best things we can tweak for better sound.  The SMS-1 targets the lower frequencies for EQing the sound, and it really does not come across as a great improvement until you bypass the EQ and hear the differences - which Chris attested to.

Dan

Robert57

Where is everybody???
« Reply #18 on: 12 Dec 2005, 03:33 pm »
Woodsyi--what a great offer. I'm still inspired by our last gathering.  It would fun love to listen to your fab. system some more and see how the SB2 digital mods are shaping up. I have three Bolder SB2 full mods in the queue and am still debating how far to go in hot-rodding at least one  as my main source--maybe the deluxe (or Ultra?) power supply, and/or bybees. I also just ordered a Running Springs Audio Haley power conditioner- for the emerging new system. I'd love to hear more from Woodsyi and Chris_B. about their tube rolling on the Modwright SWL SE to see how to add a tad more richness to the tone. And I too am very intrigued by the Velodyne room correction system (DD10) and would love to hear from others how far this goes toward the full benefits a digital TacT RCS 2.2x-type approach can bring, without the WAF issues of traps.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Where is everybody???
« Reply #19 on: 12 Dec 2005, 03:58 pm »
Woodsyi -- would you please explain to me how your wife went on a business trip and took your daughter with her?!!? All I know is that when MY wife goes on a business trip, I'm a single parent to 3 kids until she gets back. What's your secret?

The secret is that I have to leave before my daughter's daycare opens.  So we are spending the bucks (not reimbursable due to prior abuse of it by corporate folks who were ditching their kids at skischool while they "went" to a 7 AM seminar followed by all day skiing) to put her in child care at the hotel while she is tending to business.  I get the dog and cat duty!