Tubes from Upscale Audio

DTB300

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov 2005, 02:16 am »
Okay...to calm all of this down...let me "re-word" the question...

How are the Tubes from Upscale Audio?

I do not care about the owner, his attitude or not, his phone manners, the name of his dog, just the quality of the tubes - period.  

Thank you to those who discussed the tube subject already.

BTW, as I posted, I received a very quick reply from Upscale and they pointed me in the direction of a tube or tubes (different price ranges) that would be satisfactory for the ARC SP16.

Dan

DTB300

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov 2005, 02:55 am »
Merle...I sent you and email...

Thanks...Dan

bunky

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2005, 02:55 am »
Quote from: DTB300
Okay...to calm all of this down...let me "re-word" the question...

How are the Tubes from Upscale Audio?

I do not care about the owner, his attitude or not, his phone manners, the name of his dog, just the quality of the tubes - period.  

Thank you to those who discussed the tube subject already.

BTW, as I posted, I received a very quick reply from Upscale and they pointed me in the direction of a tube or tubes (different price ranges) that would be satisfactory for the ARC SP16.

Dan
if Kevin Deal recommends certain tubes for your particular preamplifier you can take it to the Bank. this guy wrote the book on tubes and is generaly acknoledged as one of the foremost tube audio experts in the world. this guy knows his stuff! thanks....WCW III

DTB300

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #23 on: 13 Nov 2005, 02:05 pm »
Quote from: bunky
if Kevin Deal recommends certain tubes for your particular preamplifier you can take it to the Bank. this guy wrote the book on tubes and is generaly acknoledged as one of the foremost tube audio experts in the world. this guy knows his stuff! thanks....WCW III

Thanks Bunky...

Dan

audiojerry

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2005, 03:00 pm »
Two other very good sources for tube advice and tubes:

Bill O'Connell, the MiniMax guy - he apparently has an amazing collection of tubes with an equal degree of knowledge. He loves to talk tubes, and he is a really nice guy to boot.  

Bruce Wangerin of BWS Consulting. www.bws-tube.com. He specializes in vintage tubes with a depth of knowledge. I've had excellent help from him. He has sent me several sets of tubes at a time based on what I was looking to achieve, and allowed me to experiment, then purchase the set that I like, and send the others back. He's located in Arlington, VA. He also hand builds tube components built to your specifications.

Chris_B

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2005, 04:14 pm »
Here is a great example of why local circles are helpful.  Bruce Wangerin of BWS is less than one mile from my house and I never heard of him before.  I will definitely give him a call and try some of his tubes.

awm

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2005, 05:37 pm »
Hi, Dan -- not a member of MAAC here, but I've dealt with Kevin several times.  He's obviously busy, but his tubes are first rate.  Also, despite what  the prevailing impression might be, I researched my several purchases and while he wasn't the cheapest, he was definitely not the most expensive.  So, premium product for premium, but not the most expensive, price.  

Good luck,
Andy

bunky

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2005, 06:17 pm »
Quote from: awm
Hi, Dan -- not a member of MAAC here, but I've dealt with Kevin several times.  He's obviously busy, but his tubes are first rate.  Also, despite what  the prevailing impression might be, I researched my several purchases and while he wasn't the cheapest, he was definitely not the most expensive.  So, premium product for premium, but not the most expensive, price.  

Good luck,
Andy
we would love for everyone who belongs to the audiocircles to post in our little circle because we are all crazy about audio. as a matter of fact some of us may just be plain crazy! :lol: thanks....WCW III

audiojerry

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #28 on: 13 Nov 2005, 06:45 pm »
Quote from: Chris_B
Here is a great example of why local circles are helpful.  Bruce Wangerin of BWS is less than one mile from my house and I never heard of him before.  I will definitely give him a call and try some of his tubes.

That's terrific! I haven't talked to him in a couple of years. If you visit him, you may be in for a real treat. I've heard he has some amazing stuff that he demo's. Tell him that Jerry Slavata of Brookfield, Wisconsin says hello.

bunky

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov 2005, 07:34 pm »
Quote from: Chris_B
Cool,maybe he has a Quad of Amperex or Seimens 7308s with my name on them. thanks audiojerry!

TheChairGuy

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #30 on: 14 Nov 2005, 05:57 pm »
Not a MAAC member...but lived in DC for 9 years.  Member in honorarium, maybe?

Kevin Deal is a driven business guy with a love for music.  I caught him in the store the other morning at 8:15AM...with another fella' that helped me. I think I've called there 4x in total, and only once was he overtly 'friendly'.  The other three times he was, and sounded, rushed....because he runs a busy place because, except for a lack of overt friendliness, he does things right.  I'm kinda' used to it having been born in NY, tho  :wink:

He sold me the absolutely worst and most expensive tubes I've ever bought for my PAS-4...some Russian NOS 6H23's.  They were $35 per and sound gross in my application.  I don't hold it against him...I am SURE they sound great in other applications used. So, just in case he should steer you in a wrong tube direction...his heart is in the right place, it's just a bit of guessing game that tubes are...electrical parameters of your gear and your own subjectivity are complicating matters.

audiojerry

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #31 on: 14 Nov 2005, 06:10 pm »
That's why I really liked dealing with BWS-Tube.com. Bruce let me experiment with different tubes before commiting to a purchase or no purchase. Bill O'Connell was the same way.