Nov LAOC Audio Society meeting

Mad DOg

« on: 8 Nov 2005, 05:46 am »
Dear Members and Friends,

****OUR NOVEMBER 20TH EVENT WILL BE HUGE!

****Meet Albert Von Schweikert in Person and Hear his Ultimate Statement VR 9 Loudspeakers.

****Win a brand new pair of VR 1 Loudspeakers or one of dozens of DVD Movies from Sony!

****Enjoy the music, the friendship, and dinner, too! All in the elegant and spacious Sierra Ballroom.

****It's all on Sunday, 5-8pm [setup 3-5pm], November 20th at the Holiday Inn at 7000 Beach Blvd. and The 91.         [In Buena Park]

You can't ask for more fun than this! Even free parking! And loudspeakers "to die for" tweaked out to perfection!!!!

Put the date on your calendar and don't miss it. Please note the special event  time of 5-8pm. Guests and new members most welcome!!!

And peruse the pics from our previous events all on our website at www.laocaudiosociety.com .

Great listening to all and we'll look for you on the 20th,

Bob Levi

President

Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society

America's Premier Audio Society      Celebrating Our 12th Anniversary Year!!

Phone: 714-281-5850 for Society Information or email Bob@Boblevi.com

Mad DOg

Reminder!
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2005, 07:12 am »
Dear Members and Friends,

Even More MUSICAL  GLORY!!!

Get the "CES VIP" Treatment THIS Sunday!!!

This Sunday, our friends at Von Schweikert Loudspeakers are bringing out their best designers to treat the entire Sierra Ballroom with diffusers and tube traps to create the very best sound for their flagship VR9SE Loudspeakers! PLUS, Albert is bringing his COMPLETE line of loudspeakers to show off to the Society!! He's then presenting his loudspeaker goodies personally just for us! And buying us dinner, too!!!  Plus...

****Major raffle featuring brand new Von Schweikert VR1 Monitors [$1000 MSRP] and a ton of Sony Movie and Series DVDs!

ONLY This Sunday....5-8pm.....Holiday Inn Buena Park 7000 Beach Blvd at The 91...

PFO Issue 22:

Well, sports fans, 2005 gave me a chance to return to the world of Von Schweikert Audio late in the year by way of their smashing VR-9 SE loudspeakers, a magnificent achievement in loudspeaker technology. I've been in touch Von Schweikert products over a number of years now, having owned the original VR-4's, the VR-4 Silvers, and the VR-6's. CES 2005 gave me a chance to hear the VR-9 SE's in a surround configuration, as I outlined in one of my CES reports (see PFO Issue 18, at http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/ces05dr3a.htm). I was really taken by the sound, and was able to arrange delivery of a demo pair with the help of my good audio friend, Jonathan Tinn. I've been listening to them continuously since September, and I can say that the VR-9 SEs are the finest speakers that I've ever had in my listening room. Transparent, utterly authoritative, highly detailed without fatiguing the listener, possessing an incredible ability to project and control a soundfield while nearly vanishing in the process, moderately high efficiency (94 dB/Watt/meter) and reasonable load (6 Ohm average), and almost ruler flat in my listening room…the VR-9 SE's have it all.

As I said, these are utterly the best loudspeakers that I've had in my listening room over the past 16 years.

Highest praise to Albert Von Schweikert and Kevin Malmgren for producing a world-class reference speaker that has transformed my listening room at PFO!                             David Robinson

Albert Von Schweikert IN Person With EVERYTHING he builds! If you call yourself an Audiophile, you'll be there!!! New members and guests most welcome!

See you THIS Sunday at 5pm...come early for best seating,

Bob Levi

President

Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society

America's Premier Audio Society   www.laocaudiosociety.com   714-2815850

P.S. November 21...last day to reserve for 12th Anniversary Celebration and Banquet with Harry Pearson and $8000 in Door Prizes!

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2005, 03:02 am »
This should be another GREAT Meeting :dance:

See you all there.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2005, 08:12 am »
As expected, another great meet thanks to everyone involved.  Some Pic's

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5595/vr9se5yl.jpg" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us" />
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4594/vr9seback2nm.jpg" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us" />
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1083/vr4jr6wq.jpg" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us" />
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/3682/oracleelectrocompanietvacciad2.jpg" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us" />

Oracle transport->Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC-->VAC Standard LE preamp-->Channel Island Audio D-200 digital amp-->VR9SE or VR4Jr speakers.  Those humongous speaker cables are Von Schweikert cables using 4" wide copper foil.  

As expected, VR9SE had impossibly wide dynamic range, bass extension, and resolution.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the speakers sounded like what one would expect by looking at them:)  

I'm not entirely convinced the choice of gear was all that synergistic with VR9's today, but I'm sure those who can afford this $60K speaker ($70K with finish shown) can assemble a SOTA system with careful system building.

VR4Jr's continue to be wonderful speakers at the paltry $4K price range.  I've heard VR4Jr's sound better on other occasions, but the room today was simply too large for VR4Jr's to fill effortlessly.  

I hope to get a chance to listen to VR7 speakers soon, which are supposed to be VR9's without the internal amp and large back bass driver.  Price is also only 1/2 of VR9.  

See you all next time!

shokunin

« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2005, 06:21 pm »
Missed another great event... is that Russ looking some VSA VR-9's.  Maybe we can get MD to get some VR-7's  :mrgreen:

I'm a little suprirsed by their choice of gear, but I wasn't there and didn't hear how it sounded so i'm in no position to make any judgements.

Alex_G

CI D-200 Impression?
« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2005, 04:21 am »
Hello Jon,

I have VR-4JR's.  What's your impression of CI D-200?

Best regards,
Alex

Jon L

Re: CI D-200 Impression?
« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2005, 09:44 pm »
Quote from: Alex_G
Hello Jon,

Best regards,
Alex

From the brief listen, CI D-200 did fine driving VR4Jr.  This combo sounded more forgiving than the VR9SE/D200 combo, but a lot of it had to do with how loud that system was being played in that huge room.

Mad DOg

Re: CI D-200 Impression?
« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2005, 11:49 pm »
Quote from: Alex_G
Hello Jon,

Best regards,
Alex

it would not surprise me in the least that the D-200s would sound fabulous w/ the 4 Jrs as i believe Dusty uses the 4 Jrs in his own system...

Mad DOg

« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2005, 11:51 pm »
Quote from: shokunin
Missed another great event... is that Russ looking some VSA VR-9's.  Maybe we can get MD to get some VR-7's  :mrgreen:

I'm a little suprirsed by their choice of gear, but I wasn't there and didn't hear how it sounded so i'm in no position to make any judgements.

good to see you around, shokunin!

given the room, the VSA speakers sounded very good like they generally do.  8)