Repair ribbon speaker cable termination?

jpm

Repair ribbon speaker cable termination?
« on: 22 Apr 2023, 02:23 pm »
Does anyone have any tips on how to repair the termination of a ribbon speaker cable? The cable itself has snapped just behind the banana plug.

I found one article that suggests using a very fine grit sandpaper to strip the insulation. Is this the best way to expose the copper or has anyone had success with other methods?

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Repair ribbon speaker cable termination?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2023, 07:22 pm »
Does anyone have any tips on how to repair the termination of a ribbon speaker cable? The cable itself has snapped just behind the banana plug.

I found one article that suggests using a very fine grit sandpaper to strip the insulation. Is this the best way to expose the copper or has anyone had success with other methods?

If ever a thread called for a pic, this is it.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2023, 08:39 pm »
Agreed, a picture is worth a thousand words in this case.  But, I'll take a stab at it.

Do they look similar to these?

If they are then know that they are ultra delicate (oh, you already do).

Do you know what material the insulation is made of?  Is it a coating such as lacquer or a jacket of made some plastic?

If it's a jacket then just stripping the ribbon back may be difficult depending how tough the material is and using a razor knife will be really hard to cut just the jacket without scoring the ribbon.  Any scores or cuts in the ribbon create a new weak spot and a possible increase in resistance.

If it's a lacquer similar to magnet wire then sanding will be the only way to do it and again you must use care and go slow.  I suggest you start with some 220 grit and see how it does.  Hardly touching it?  Drop down to 100-120 grit but I would not use anything coarser.  Just get the bulk of the coating off and then switch to a finer grit and maybe even a wet/dry sandpaper.  Once the metal is clean then you can solder them back together if there is enough material there.  Oh, and it will affect resale value.

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2023, 09:56 pm »

Not as exotic looking as JakeJ's pic but I've been very happy with them, LFD Hybrid cables from Gene Rubin.

I'd been wondering if there are any accessible chemicals that would soften the insulation enough to remove it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that would put me on some Homeland Security watch list :/

Fortunately I won't have to dissect and operate - I reached out to Gene about the possibility of getting them repaired and he'll take care of it. No word about cost, but honestly I'm happy not to be tackling something that looks so delicate. My soldering skills are competent but average and I don't have the patience of a perfectionist.

I do appreciate the input and now I'm even more curious how these cables get terminated, in case anyone knows.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2023, 10:11 pm »
Great solution!  You may even get a new warranty with the repaired cables.