Preamp help

Countrypie

Preamp help
« on: 5 Jan 2023, 03:45 am »
Ok I am brand new here but I need some help on picking the correct Pre-amp for my Odyssey Stratos Mono's.   I use a rega elex R now and it's it not bad but I keep reading i need tubes..   Prima?  what should i buy under 2k?  if this is not appropriate I am sorry..

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Preamp help
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2023, 03:48 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
I will move this topic to the Odyssey Circle for your convenience.

JCarney

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2023, 04:01 am »
Your best bet is to call Klaus directly. He is in Indianapolis which is EST. Call him after 10:00 or 10:30pm EST and you improve your chances  of reaching him. Email is sketchy and he may not check his circle as often as he would like. Calling is what he suggests as well. Be sure you know what add ons if any you may want. For instance a phono stage. He'll treat you right and steer you in the right direction. He'll also want to know what speakers you are running and source to aid him in giving you the best advice he can.

Best of luck,
JCarney

JMW73

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2023, 01:59 pm »
Your best bet is to call Klaus directly. He is in Indianapolis which is EST. Call him after 10:00 or 10:30pm EST and you improve your chances  of reaching him. Email is sketchy and he may not check his circle as often as he would like. Calling is what he suggests as well. Be sure you know what add ons if any you may want. For instance a phono stage. He'll treat you right and steer you in the right direction. He'll also want to know what speakers you are running and source to aid him in giving you the best advice he can.

Best of luck,
JCarney

This, This, This,  a thousand times this.   :popcorn:

But, as this is a discussion board and I would actually like to participate in the discussion, I would like to add my opinion so when you talk to Klaus you have some fodder.  And also, there is at least one other thread with a lot of pre-amp discussion in this Odyssey Circle.  I would recommend scrolling through and seeing what others are saying.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155610.0

I had gotten Kismet in Stratos and thought I was all set.  Ran them with an Emotiva Pre-amp (whatever their top line one was at the time).  Something was missing.  Spoke to Klaus and he recommended the Candela pre.  Thought about it a bit, and what tipped me off was this; in every picture or video I could find of him at an audio show, there was a Candela running the stack.  And he would often be showing the Khartago amps, but there was that Candela.  I will sum it up by saying, it was the best addition to my system I've made.
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2023, 03:14 pm by JMW73 »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2023, 03:04 pm »

I have used an Erhard Audio Aretha preamp https://www.erhard-audio.com/Aretha_MKII.html
and an Audio Research LS26 preamp. Sound has been stellar with both.
Tube preamp with Odyssey is a great combination.

Countrypie

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2023, 02:36 am »

Best of luck,
JCarney

Thanks JCarney-  I emailed and called.  Voicebox full.  LOL.   Sounds like Candela is best way to go based on all the other posts. 

JCarney

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2023, 03:53 am »
Just keep at it, you'll catch him. He keeps bonkers hours most mortals could not maintain. :lol:

JCarney

GentleBender

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2023, 10:09 am »
+1 on the Candela. I love mine!

Dishman442

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2023, 09:56 am »
Another +1 on the Candela preamp as a great choice.

dpatters

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2023, 10:21 am »
I see there’s a Candela for sale on this site.

Don P

JCarney

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2023, 04:41 pm »
dpatters beat me to it. Chrome face plate, mundorf caps, Symphonic remote for $1200. Better hurry, someone already replied they are interested.

JCarney

Countrypie

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2023, 09:46 pm »
dpatters beat me to it. Chrome face plate, mundorf caps, Symphonic remote for $1200. Better hurry, someone already replied they are interested.

JCarney

Thanks.. I bought this unit and it's great but it has a hiss (mostly on side)...  Any idea why or how to fix?

Loki57

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2023, 10:33 pm »
Tubes?

Ron D

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2023, 10:36 pm »
Not knowing the layout ( number of tubes) once the tubes have cooled down you could swap them and see of the hiss travels to the other channel, if so likely the tube.

Countrypie

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2023, 10:52 pm »
Not knowing the layout ( number of tubes) once the tubes have cooled down you could swap them and see of the hiss travels to the other channel, if so likely the tube.

I believe the candella has 2 tubes?  Any recommendation on tubes for this unit?  this unit has 1960's vintage short plate Mullard Gf1 ECC82 / 12AU7 tubes... 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2023, 11:59 pm »
I don't have a Candela but needed to reduce the output of a DAC recently.
Sylvania 12AU7s worked out really well.

Countrypie

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2023, 12:15 am »

thanks!  Good idea.   

GentleBender

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2023, 01:08 am »
Klaus recommended the Northern Electric tubes. They have been great in my Candela, but they take a little time to burn in. No tube noise with mine going on around two years now. I haven’t even tried my PSVanes.

Countrypie

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2023, 01:22 am »
Klaus recommended the Northern Electric tubes. They have been great in my Candela, but they take a little time to burn in. No tube noise with mine going on around two years now. I haven’t even tried my PSVanes.

thanks!  this one?  also,  is a tube hiss distinct?  the noise is sorta of not consistent like a hum but sounds like static bouncing around.  that the best way i can describe it. 

https://www.thetubestore.com/northern-electric-12au7

qdrone

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jan 2023, 01:56 am »
If it is a tube may I suggest pop the top wiggle the tubes. I do this when I start hearing burping or hiss in the sound chain. More than not the tube is not seated. It works for more than you think. You would think since the tube has just been sitting there that they don't unseat,you would be surprised and yes I have the unit on when I do this,that way you can adjust tube for silence if it is the problem.
 :duh: