"30.7 for Condos" - Audio Connection NJ

MarcL

"30.7 for Condos" - Audio Connection NJ
« on: 19 Dec 2019, 06:37 pm »
I attended the demo at Audio Connection Dec 18.  Plenty of time to listen and discuss the idea with Wendell and others.

First, no new info on what it is - the "secret sauce", as it was referred to, remains a secret. We saw no more than everyone else has seen: two conventional-looking panels like the smaller part of the 30.7, and two triangular modules about 3ft tall located a couple feet behind the conventional panels and close to the wall. The room has Vicoustic 2D diffusors on the side walls (behind the curtain) covering about half the front end of the room and extending a couple feet in front of the speakers. Wood 1D diffusors on the front wall, and more Vicoustic 2D diffusors on the rear wall. No bass traps that I could see.

I always wish for more music and less talk, and I always regret not bringing my own reference recordings. But I think I heard enough to say they sound every bit as good as the 30.7 - as compared to my listening at a different dealer back in the spring. From the bass upward there is extraordinary transparency and clarity and impact. The soundstage is uniform and huge ... wall to wall, floor to ceiling ... and with great "you are there" imaging. The bass was excellent, precise, well-matched to the overall sound.

Most notable to me in defining the sound were two orchestral pieces: Nilolai Rimsky-Korsakov: The Snow Maiden - Dance of the Tumblers, and Stravinsky: The Firebird Suite. These pieces have exceptionally wide dynamics and build to a crescendo in several places punctuated by bass drum and tympani. I have never heard a better rendering. Some in the room who were unfamiliar with the music jumped at the impact.

They certainly sound better than my 3.7's do without subs. Compared to when I heard the 30.7, I would say the different room and different program material make judgement on low bass extension difficult, but otherwise every bit as good if not better. Yes, my remaining question is about the low bass extension ... so maybe I'll get the answer if another tour comes nearby, and I DO bring my recordings with 40Hz bass drums and 20Hz bass and piano.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: "30.7 for Condos" - Audio Connection NJ
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2019, 10:06 am »

MarcL

Re: "30.7 for Condos" - Audio Connection NJ
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2020, 04:39 pm »
Magnepan 30.7 Panel Loudspeakers For Condos On the road at Audio Connections. Review By Jules Coleman

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0120/Magnepan_307_Panel_Loudspeakers_For_Condos_Review.htm