New omega RS5 monitors

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: New omega RS5 monitors
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2017, 12:14 am »
I want to do something similar. Maybe you can help me. We might have even discussed this in the past but here is my situation. I currently own a pair of Supercharged Omega3XRS's. So with the built in active 8inch sub that is located on the back. Louis is building me some High Output Omega 3XRS's that have the dual RS5 Drivers. So what I am going to do, is use my current speakers just for the subs alone once I have the new dual driver speakers. I am just going to put them right behind the new speakers. Then I want to add two more subs later for the real low stuff, including movie soundtracks. How, and what is the best way to accomplish all of this?

I don't want to get to far off in Nocturne's thread.  I've answered in my old thread that has lots of detail:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134489.msg1583688#msg1583688

........Peter

Dsaldivar

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2017, 10:26 pm »
Hi!
Sorry to ask, what's the price? did not find these speakers model over the omega website.
Thanks,
Dan

witchdoctor

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2017, 10:33 pm »
Very nice!  Congrats.

As minor a part of his work overall, I am repeatedly impressed with the new badge.  Very professional and imposing.

Here they are rotated............

Seriously, the badge??

pstrisik

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2017, 11:07 pm »
Hey, don't dis the badge!  The veneer work, drivers, etc. get all the attention.

witchdoctor

« Reply #24 on: 22 Jan 2017, 12:30 am »
Hey, don't dis the badge!  The veneer work, drivers, etc. get all the attention.

Looking at those beautiful speakers and citing the badge is like commenting on the hood ornament of a Mercedes.

pstrisik

« Reply #25 on: 22 Jan 2017, 01:27 am »
Looking at those beautiful speakers and citing the badge is like commenting on the hood ornament of a Mercedes.

Which, in my opinion, is a prominent aspect of the car!  :thumb:

Too bad they lay it flat these days.  But I think the ones that stood up were getting stolen.

Nocturne79

« Reply #26 on: 22 Jan 2017, 02:54 am »
Hi!
Sorry to ask, what's the price? did not find these speakers model over the omega website.
Thanks,
Dan

Hey no worries I would just call Louis thats how i ordered my speakers. I dont think he has updated his website, so its always best just to call him.  He is amazing to deal with on the phone,

hope this helps have a great day

Nocturne79

« Reply #27 on: 22 Jan 2017, 02:54 am »

yeah have to say i love the badge too its really nice like the icing on the cake kind of thing lol

Carl V

roscoe65

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jan 2017, 03:55 am »
I do find it curious how people don't want to tell how much Louis charges for their speakers.  Prices for his standard models are posted and we would expect that he would be consistent in his pricing for nonstandard models.

I've encountered this with other small volume manufacturers as well.  Its as if people think they are getting a special insider price and are not allowed to share it.  Frankly, if I found out I paid 20% more for the same product because I wasn't on the inside I would be irritated.

I'm not talking about upgrade or frequent flyer pricing, but rather people asking the normal question of the price of a product they might consider buying.

That being said, if I were a betting man I would guess the price on the 1.5 Monitors with Level 1 finish is $995.    This price point threatens to cannibalize the Super 7 Monitor Mk2.  Frankly, looking at the model range I am having difficulty seeing where the Super 7 Monitor fits in.  The Super 3 1.5 offers similar or superior performance at a similar price point.  I can see maybe keeping the Super 7 XRS in Level 1 finish as a reasonably priced floorstander with higher output than the Super 3 XRS, but when we get to the Super 7 XRS in real wood at $1,900 it again starts to tread on the toes of the new Super 3 1.5 tower.

I would like to see Louis focus on the Super 3 and Super Alnico lines, especially in the omni and 1.5 way configurations.  Some other things I would love to see include:

1.  An omni speaker using a forward facing Alnico driver and upward facing RS5 driver.  Peter used a pair of up-firing Yamaha tweeters in his Super Alnico  system.

2.  A true two-way configuration using a whizzerless alnico driver as the main driver.  I would like to see this driver roll off naturally with no crossover.  An RS5 could then be brought in using a single cap as a high frequency driver.  As long as the main driver makes it to 3khz before rolling off it is still covering the majority of the musical range.

3.  A true two-way using an Altec/GPA 414C and an RS5.  The same crossover guidelines apply.  The Altec runs 96dB and extends to 4khz before rolling off at 6dB/octave.  We could bring the RS5 in at 5khz or so with a single cap.  This driver is rated by Louis at 94.5 dB, but i suspect it might be a little more efficient high up.  There is a history of fantastic sounding paper tweeters (e.g., JBL LE26) and the low moving mass of the RS5 implies it would be a good "tweeter".  The 12" alnico driver would have great midbass performance as well.  This might be a genuine competitor to speakers such as the Devore Orangutan 0/96.  I suspect the real efficiency will be significantly higher than the Devore.  One downside is that this arrangement will not be a deep bass powerhouse despite the size of the driver.

RDavidson

« Reply #30 on: 22 Jan 2017, 04:15 am »
Roscoe65, a lot of things you're "asking" for aren't simple and probably need their own thread. Many of Louis's design decisions have been posted in other threads and as you can probably tell, he likes keeping things pretty simple / uncomplicated....but is open to somewhat more complex experimentation if someone wants to pay for it (and the experiment doesn't stray far from his design ideals). Keep in mind he doesn't have to do this stuff for people if he doesn't want to. Note, the 7 MK2 exists because it still makes sense for those who want a largish single driver speaker but don't have the $ for the Alnicos. Pretty straight forward, if you ask me. Also note, people may feel it isn't their place to post pricing on non-standard / one-off models. I guess you have a problem with good manners? While we're at it, maybe we should be more polite to the OP and stay closer to the thread topic.

roscoe65

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jan 2017, 04:52 am »
Most threads tend to wander and most of us tend to throw new ideas out there.  If you have a problem with my manners then PM me.  Otherwise feel free to mind your own business.  Unless you're the moderator here maybe you should keep your mouth shut.

RDavidson

« Reply #32 on: 22 Jan 2017, 04:58 am »
Most threads tend to wander and most of us tend to throw new ideas out there.  If you have a problem with my manners then PM me.  Otherwise feel free to mind your own business.  Unless you're the moderator here maybe you should keep your mouth shut.

This is a forum. Anything you post is everyone's business, including bad manners. Instead of hijacking someone else's thread with all your questions (that have little to do with the thread topic), why not start a new thread? Is this difficult? I'm pretty positive this is a general rule around here, not to mention having good manners. John R will shut you down if you make telling people to "keep their mouth shut" a habit. Good luck.

roscoe65

« Reply #33 on: 22 Jan 2017, 05:09 am »
Maybe you should sober up before posting.  Like I said:  feel free to not read my comments, just as I am free to ignore those of others. 

RDavidson

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jan 2017, 05:39 am »
Maybe you should sober up before posting.  Like I said:  feel free to not read my comments, just as I am free to ignore those of others.

Again, rude. I'll readily admit I made the mistake of sounding harsh with my assessment of your post, or you're very sensitive. Sorry for that, either way. Blame the Trump inauguration. Beyond that, man up, admit you're wrong and just start your own thread. Maybe it'll produce fruit if you plant the seed the right place! Here's a name for it "Questions and Ideas for Omega." Boom. Done. Easy. Please, let's get back on topic ; One I'm actually interested in because I'm very fond of the RS5 based speakers and am very intrigued by the dual RS5 approach. I and others would rather not wade through muddy waters to get to the information in the topic title "New Omega RS5 monitors." Thank you.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #35 on: 22 Jan 2017, 06:52 am »
I do find it curious how people don't want to tell how much Louis charges for their speakers.  Prices for his standard models are posted and we would expect that he would be consistent in his pricing for nonstandard models.

Not necessarily.

I've encountered this with other small volume manufacturers as well.  Its as if people think they are getting a special insider price and are not allowed to share it.  Frankly, if I found out I paid 20% more for the same product because I wasn't on the inside I would be irritated.

That's understandable.

I'm not talking about upgrade or frequent flyer pricing, but rather people asking the normal question of the price of a product they might consider buying.

Nonstandard models are not produced in the predictable manner of standard models. Availability may not even be possible.