Plastic pipes don't rust, but....

Guy 13

Plastic pipes don't rust, but....
« on: 31 May 2016, 08:02 am »
When we got our house built four years ago,
we decided to get a solar water heater to have free hot (Read: burning) water.
It supplies hot water to my wife and I (I use lots of it,
not so much my wife, she says planet Vietnam is hot
and she only need to cool water.) and three in laws living downstairs.
We don't have any electric water heater in the building
and we never run out of hot water.
If it's rainning or cloudy for a few days,
there's enough hot water in the holding tank
to get in the worst case warm water until the sun comes back.
The investment was about 750USD parts & labor
and I believe that the payback might take
five years, so our return on investment is almost completed.
Now, the plastic pipes started to desintegrate, break and crack.
The hot water was pissing on the roof so bad,
that we sometimes did not have any even warm water,
plus the water meter was spinning like crazy.
So, my wife called the plumber and look at what he did.
An amateur job, nothing straight, it does not leak anymore,
but for how long ?
If I would have know, I would have done it myself, next time I will.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Plastic pipes don't rust, but....
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2016, 11:48 am »
 :rotflmao:

Guy,

In another ten years, you'll look back fondly at all the craziness. Imagine the pressure the repair guy was under.  :lol:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2016, 12:43 pm »
Guy - I'd suggest you find some pipe insulation & wrap it all. Heat, & solar (UV) exposure effectively cooks all plastic pipe, and in time it will crack/fracture. If it's only been 4 years since you did the original install, and the original was plastic pipe, then without other consideration you can probably figure to be re-doing it again in another 4 years. A foil wrapped insulation would probably be best as it will reflect the sunlight. Preventative maintenance, and likely cheaper in the long run, over re-piping on a regular schedule.

Good luck.

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2016, 12:53 pm »
Guy - I'd suggest you find some pipe insulation & wrap it all. Heat, & solar (UV) exposure effectively cooks all plastic pipe, and in time it will crack/fracture. If it's only been 4 years since you did the original install, and the original was plastic pipe, then without other consideration you can probably figure to be re-doing it again in another 4 years. A foil wrapped insulation would probably be best as it will reflect the sunlight. Preventative maintenance, and likely cheaper in the long run, over re-piping on a regular schedule.

Good luck.

Hi Arthur,
I don't know why I did not think about that !  :duh:
Good suggestion, thanks.  :thumb:
Yes, I will see if I can find foil insulation
or maybe it will be easier to find-buy the white water resistant insulation
they use for the air conditionning tubing.

Guy 13

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2016, 01:33 pm »
In fear of stereotyping, workmanship that I'd expect in the 3rd world (or some parts of the U.S.).

I'd replace the PVC piping/joints before jacketing it.

Glad you're taking advantage of free sunshine.  My new photovoltaic solar installation is close to generating $200 this month (but unfortunately my system cost much more than yours).

And unfortunately wifey decided to build the framing to hold her rabbit cages out of PVC (saw some goofy schematic example on the net).  I stayed away for as long as possible (you could see the train wreck coming from a mile away) but finally she came screaming into the house demanding that I finish the project.  Working with the PVC was easy enough after figuring out what it was she was trying to build (the worst part of it all) but it figuring out what to do for the accessories that was another set of issues.  Naturally she wasted a bunch of material as she didn't believe in measuring anything.  The rabbits stay in the garage but I expect the PVC will fail sooner than later, so we can try again.   :roll:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2016, 02:13 pm »
SMT these pvc pipes are cool water tubes, they arent suited to hot water.

bearman2

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2016, 03:30 pm »
PVC pipe is good up to 130 degrees, CPVC is good up to 190 degrees. Guy, if you want it to last use copper.

jpm

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2016, 05:01 pm »
Your plastic pipes have the same appearance as the stuff they use when they build pools or install irrigation systems here in AZ.  (these two may not necessarily be the same ... not an expert by any means) 

When used for pools, the builder is supposed to paint the exposed pipe to protect it. If you don't need the properties of insulation, you can use a can or two of Krylon or similar spray paint to protect it.

Good luck!

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2016, 06:36 pm »
This has a chart for PVC operating temperatures - http://www.coleparmer.com/TechLibraryArticle/688