Windows 10 - Tips, Tricks, and Other Helpful Information

WGH

Re: Windows 10 - Tips, Tricks, and Other Helpful Information
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jun 2016, 04:17 am »
So far I like the Windows 10 upgrade but there are some quirks, the The Ultimate Windows 10 Cheat Sheet: Everything you need to know was very helpful fine tuning the OS:
http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-download-install-tips-tricks/

But... I was beginning to think I was getting forgetful in my old age, I thought I put the computer to sleep but when I get home it was running. Turns out Windows 10 has a least one program that will wake your computer, so much for energy conservation. But there is a solution if your new computer seems to have a mind of it's own and it's not really that hard.
Tips found at: http://windowsreport.com/windows-8-windows-10-wakes-sleep-fix/

In the search box type “Cmd” without the quotes.
In the command prompt window you will need to copy and paste “powercfg –lastwake” without the quotes. This will show you which device woke up your Windows 10 operating system last time.
In my case it was mcupdate_scheduled, a media center update.

In the Search Windows box type "Task Scheduler"
Go into the Task Scheduler Library, click Microsoft, Click Windows, scroll down and click Media Center the scroll down to mcupdate_scheduled.
As seen in the screen shot the "Wake the computer to run this task" box is checked in the "Conditions" tab.

Right click on mcupdate_scheduled and choose disable.

Or you can click on "Action", then "Properties" and uncheck the "Wake" box.

Another problem solved.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #41 on: 24 Jun 2016, 10:45 pm »
I've been wondering why my machine wakes up all by itself.  :scratch:

Very cool tip, Wayne. Thanks!!

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #42 on: 25 Jun 2016, 01:50 am »
You probably qualify for a ghost buster award!

So far I like the Windows 10 upgrade but there are some quirks, the The Ultimate Windows 10 Cheat Sheet: Everything you need to know was very helpful fine tuning the OS:

WGH

« Reply #43 on: 25 Jun 2016, 02:13 am »
Deactivating all the new "features" of Windows 10 reminds me of Dave:

Deactivation of Hal 9000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8N72t7aScY

ctviggen

« Reply #44 on: 25 Jun 2016, 10:16 am »
One of the reasons I haven't gone to Windows 10 is because it doesn't have media center.  (I use windows media center on Windows 7 to watch and record TV.)  Are you sure mcupdate was for media center?

srb

« Reply #45 on: 25 Jun 2016, 01:54 pm »
Are you sure mcupdate was for media center?

That's a task that should have been removed or disabled when upgrading from Windows 7.  That task doesn't exist in a fresh Windows 10 install (or an upgrade from Windows 8 where the optional Pro Pack or Media Pack wasn't installed).

One of the reasons I haven't gone to Windows 10 is because it doesn't have media center.  (I use windows media center on Windows 7 to watch and record TV

If your using Windows Media Center to record OTA TV or unencrypted Cable TV channels, you could also do that in JRiver Media Center (and upgrade to Windows 10).

I'm also using Windows Media Center in Windows 7, but to record encrypted Copy Once programming with a CableCARD which JRiver can't do.  There was a JRiver Kickstarter campaign to raise money for TV Plus, a JRiver Media Center add-in which could record encrypted Copy Once programming, but there obviously wasn't enough interest as they only managed to get $7,871 pledged of the $100,000 goal.

Steve

WGH

« Reply #46 on: 25 Jun 2016, 04:03 pm »
That's a task [mcupdate] that should have been removed or disabled when upgrading from Windows 7.  That task doesn't exist in a fresh Windows 10 install (or an upgrade from Windows 8 where the optional Pro Pack or Media Pack wasn't installed).

Steve

Yes, the upgrade was from Windows 7, must be a bug. With all the horror stories I never messed with Windows 8. I vaguely remember reading media center was removed in Windows 10 which explains why there was a file not found error when mcupdate ran.

Wayne

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #47 on: 25 Jun 2016, 10:19 pm »
One of the reasons I haven't gone to Windows 10 is because it doesn't have media center.  (I use windows media center on Windows 7 to watch and record TV.)  Are you sure mcupdate was for media center?
Unfortunately many Win7 tasks still reside in the scheduler after a win10 upgrade.

You can get media center for win10:

http://www.windowscentral.com/install-media-center-windows-10

srb

« Reply #48 on: 25 Jun 2016, 10:31 pm »
You can get media center for win10

Yes, but to what functional extent?  Windows Central says "Due to our configuration we have not confirmed how well it runs with a TV signal setup, so your mileage may vary."

Even if does work with digital OTA tuners, I'm guessing that it won't be integrated with PlayReady DRM decryption for encrypted cable channels with CableCARD tuners.

Unfortunately I can't test it because my Ceton tuner is a PCIe card and the Windows 10 computer is a laptop.

Steve

charmerci

« Reply #49 on: 28 Jun 2016, 10:34 pm »
Windows 10 is weird.

It adds a System Volume Information folder to every external drive (and why the $recycle.bin folder?) and I found a _disk.id.pod file too.

srb

« Reply #50 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:04 am »
These folders are not unique to Windows 10 and also exist on Windows Vista / 7 / 8.  It just sounds like you happened to have enabled viewing of hidden and/or protected operating system files.  They've always been there but were hidden.

The $Recycle.bin folder exists on all your internal drives and partitions and most USB external drives, but not necessarily small USB flash drives.

System Volume Information folders are where Windows stores Restore Points.  You can go to Control Panel > Recovery > Configure System Restore if you want to turn off protection for a particular drive or manage/delete restore points.

Steve

charmerci

« Reply #51 on: 29 Jun 2016, 03:57 am »
Got it. Thx, Steve.

It's a new Windows10 machine - it's just automatically enabled I guess.

srb

« Reply #52 on: 29 Jun 2016, 04:54 am »
It's a new Windows10 machine - it's just automatically enabled I guess.

The default should be to hide both "hidden" and "protected operating system files"

In a Computer window select the View tab

• Click the Options button at top right, select "Change folder and search options" and select the View tab in the Folder Options window
  • Under "Hidden files and folders" select "Don't show hidden files, folders or drives" *
  • Check "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
* The "Hidden items" checkbox in the toolbar ribbon controls the same setting as the "Don't show hidden files, folders or drives" radio button in Folder Options, it's just worded inversely - check to show, clear to hide - and duplicated in the toolbar for convenience

« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2016, 01:38 pm by srb »

charmerci

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jun 2016, 05:03 am »
Awesome! They're gone, thx agin!