Don't Like What Wendell Did Here...

josh358

Re: Don't Like What Wendell Did Here...
« Reply #20 on: 31 Oct 2015, 04:54 pm »
That's why at this point, I've given up on products carried by local dealers.  There is one (not counting something like Best Buy's Magnolia which is about a dozen miles from me) real audio store within 40+ or so miles from where I currently live.  They are open 3 days a week and it is not a huge store (I have more systems in my house).  There's probably a couple things in the store (no Maggies) that I certainly would find likeable sound quality wise, but there are alternatives on direct to consumer sales.  The question becomes how much value added does the local dealer provide in the event of an issue.  If one buys a well built product from a reputable direct to consumer company for me the answer is that the local dealer provides almost no added value.
it's true but for one thing -- how do you compare components? I used to be able to go over to Lyric say and compare stuff, but now that I live in the boonies I don't have that opportunity. And show sound sucks, they're typically playing useless demo tracks too loud in rooms with bad power and worse acoustics. So now I look at reviews, see what people say online, etc. Then buy online or used. But it's still pot luck, sometimes I get something that delights me, sometimes not. Buying something from a dealer wasn't 100% but you could tell in about 5 seconds if something was interesting enough to take home.

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 31 Oct 2015, 05:52 pm »
it's true but for one thing -- how do you compare components? I used to be able to go over to Lyric say and compare stuff, but now that I live in the boonies I don't have that opportunity. And show sound sucks, they're typically playing useless demo tracks too loud in rooms with bad power and worse acoustics. So now I look at reviews, see what people say online, etc. Then buy online or used. But it's still pot luck, sometimes I get something that delights me, sometimes not. Buying something from a dealer wasn't 100% but you could tell in about 5 seconds if something was interesting enough to take home.

My main system is to the point as of today that unless something happens, probably will not be major changes (perhaps down the road a new DAC or music server).  I've actually had good luck at shows.  Two years back at a show, a review site had 5 DACs with levels equalized for comparison and I ended up buying a DAC for a secondary system based on the demo (and I did it at a time when it wasn't crowded).  I also bought a demo preamp at the same show for the secondary systems under a similar situation. Many companies today will let you have a home trial (and in many cases the worst you're out is one way shipping).

If I were to change something like speakers, I've already heard enough things and have preferences of what I'd want to get.  More or less, I have the same feel for electronics with the exception of digital components which change more rapidly.  I've found going to dealers results in a limited demo of what they carry (and I'm not talking about a dealer like Lyric that may carry many things - I used to live in NYC).  Even where I used to live, where there were more dealers (probably about 6 to 8 within 25+ miles), a demo was only of limited value.  One dealer carried one brand which probably was 60-65% of what was on his floor.  Another did not have a good reputation.  Another would bad mouth everyone else's stuff, another was just so opinionated and not all that knowledgeable about what other people sold, although he thought he was, etc.  I once took a ride (where I used to live) to hear something an hour and three quarters away (one way) and left after 10 minutes and drove all the way home as the guy was an audio joke. 

As an example the one local dealer I have now (open 3 days a week) has a small house as a store.  There is one decent sized room with a hallway with one system, a small/average room with another system and one bigger room that had enough components to maybe have 3 systems of electronics and he has a few pair of speakers in the hallway to swap in.  So honestly I do have more components in my house currently and of what he carries there is nothing speaker wise for the money I'd really want and a couple of brands of electronics I could consider (I like the sound quality) but honestly I would probably choose something else given the dollars they cost.  I can honestly say that over the past dozen years, I heard one demo at one store where I used to live that was really impressive (and definitely more money than what I would spend).  I've heard really expensive systems and gone home and preferred what I have (not that mine is cheap).

I've owned so many things over the years and sold so many things that now I just rotate things to back-up systems.  I just bought a receiver for a back-up HT and moved things around and have 12-13 year old Sony ES receiver I was using in my office that I'm going to give to a friend.  Where I used to live, I'd say it was probable I could hear something at one of the local dealers that might be of consideration somewhere for sure in one of my system.  Right now, I don't see a possibility of that happening where I live.  I really like the Maggie dealer I visited in FL on one trip down while my house was being built.  He had lots to choose from and was knowledgeable.  It is 2.5 hours one way for me (and assuming decent traffic). 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #22 on: 31 Oct 2015, 08:05 pm »
What I would like is a smaller 20.7! 
Hell, I'd buy that one and I'm sure you'd see a lot of 3.7s being traded in because the sound quality would be such a huge step up.
Be too big for factory direct/30 day trial, though. 

josh358

« Reply #23 on: 31 Oct 2015, 08:20 pm »
My main system is to the point as of today that unless something happens, probably will not be major changes (perhaps down the road a new DAC or music server).  I've actually had good luck at shows.  Two years back at a show, a review site had 5 DACs with levels equalized for comparison and I ended up buying a DAC for a secondary system based on the demo (and I did it at a time when it wasn't crowded).  I also bought a demo preamp at the same show for the secondary systems under a similar situation. Many companies today will let you have a home trial (and in many cases the worst you're out is one way shipping).

If I were to change something like speakers, I've already heard enough things and have preferences of what I'd want to get.  More or less, I have the same feel for electronics with the exception of digital components which change more rapidly.  I've found going to dealers results in a limited demo of what they carry (and I'm not talking about a dealer like Lyric that may carry many things - I used to live in NYC).  Even where I used to live, where there were more dealers (probably about 6 to 8 within 25+ miles), a demo was only of limited value.  One dealer carried one brand which probably was 60-65% of what was on his floor.  Another did not have a good reputation.  Another would bad mouth everyone else's stuff, another was just so opinionated and not all that knowledgeable about what other people sold, although he thought he was, etc.  I once took a ride (where I used to live) to hear something an hour and three quarters away (one way) and left after 10 minutes and drove all the way home as the guy was an audio joke. 

As an example the one local dealer I have now (open 3 days a week) has a small house as a store.  There is one decent sized room with a hallway with one system, a small/average room with another system and one bigger room that had enough components to maybe have 3 systems of electronics and he has a few pair of speakers in the hallway to swap in.  So honestly I do have more components in my house currently and of what he carries there is nothing speaker wise for the money I'd really want and a couple of brands of electronics I could consider (I like the sound quality) but honestly I would probably choose something else given the dollars they cost.  I can honestly say that over the past dozen years, I heard one demo at one store where I used to live that was really impressive (and definitely more money than what I would spend).  I've heard really expensive systems and gone home and preferred what I have (not that mine is cheap).

I've owned so many things over the years and sold so many things that now I just rotate things to back-up systems.  I just bought a receiver for a back-up HT and moved things around and have 12-13 year old Sony ES receiver I was using in my office that I'm going to give to a friend.  Where I used to live, I'd say it was probable I could hear something at one of the local dealers that might be of consideration somewhere for sure in one of my system.  Right now, I don't see a possibility of that happening where I live.  I really like the Maggie dealer I visited in FL on one trip down while my house was being built.  He had lots to choose from and was knowledgeable.  It is 2.5 hours one way for me (and assuming decent traffic).
That's really sad, but pretty much the way things are now. I wish I'd been at that DAC demo, it's one of the things that I'm trying to suss out now, right now I've stolen the Dragonfly from my computer (which is actually a very creditable DAC) but I'll need something permanent. Otherwise, I haven't heard much since I (also) moved from NYC. So I can tell you what stuff sounded like in 1985, but that isn't of much use any more! I end up trying stuff at home, e.g. an XPA-2, A21, and 2500's, but I could save a lot of effort with a quick listen, I'm rushing now to test the 2500's while I can still send them back to Amazon. I'd love to hear e.g. the Pass and the Magtech, and so many more. You still ultimately have to try them at home, but the dealer comparison narrows the field. Fortunately I know what I like in speakers and I'm inclined to modify older ones now, I'm going to be putting Neo 8's in my Tympani IVA's and biamping or triamping them with DSP, then I'll move on from there, I'm full of ideas on how to improve these things! (Which are already sounding wonderful.)

I'll have to get to a show too one of these days, I could certainly do New York and I'm traveling out west a lot so something might line up.

josh358

« Reply #24 on: 31 Oct 2015, 08:36 pm »
Hell, I'd buy that one and I'm sure you'd see a lot of 3.7s being traded in because the sound quality would be such a huge step up.
I've long thought they needed a smaller high end model. My personal favorite idea is a modular Tympani -- make a panel that plays from 100-20 K with the quality of the 20.7i or better, then offer separate bass panels for those who have the space, and those who don't can go with a sub. I have a feeling my own speakers are going to evolve along these lines, because while I'm starting to get great results I can't spread them far enough apart in my tiny room to accommodate a projection screen. (I'll also try running them in split configuration, I made a brief attempt that didn't sound very good at the 250 XO point but I suspect I can do better with experimentation and delay.)

(After some repairs and a few days' intermittent tweaking, the IVA's are starting to sound magnificent, BTW. I'll post the system picture as promised many moons ago when everything is a bit more together. They're basically the largest earbuds ever, because right now, I'm actually running them off my phone, since I haven't had time to assemble my new HTPC. ES File explorer streams the files from my computer over wifi, and they get sent to USB Audio Player Pro, which sends them at up to 96/24 via an OTG cable to a Dragonfly DAC and thence to the A21. The primary advantage of this setup is that my phone battery dies after about 3 hours, forcing me to stop listening and eat.)

ajzepp

« Reply #25 on: 31 Oct 2015, 08:43 pm »

As an example the one local dealer I have now (open 3 days a week) has a small house as a store.  There is one decent sized room with a hallway with one system, a small/average room with another system and one bigger room that had enough components to maybe have 3 systems of electronics and he has a few pair of speakers in the hallway to swap in. 

My favorite local audio dealer has a similar gig. He is an owner of one of the best concert venues in the Atlanta area, and he runs a high end audio dealership out of his home. The demo room is literally his listening room - and what a listening room it is. He keeps an inventory of demo products on hand, and he'll set them up before you arrive. No additional overhead to worry about, and he maintains a nice group of manufacturers he works with. I love going out there and giving him my money.

Aside from Magnepan, my other favorite speaker company right now - and for the last few years - is RSL. I gave them an audition not only b/c of the reviews, but because they stood behind their products by providing an in-home audition period and paying shipping both ways if you decided not to keep them. This is where I feel Magnepan should stop, because I think it's the perfect way to stand behind your products. It would obviously put a tremendous amount of strain on a company to continue paying shipping fees on every demo, so I think it says a lot when a company has the confidence to offer and succeed with such a system.

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 31 Oct 2015, 09:02 pm »
That's really sad, but pretty much the way things are now. I wish I'd been at that DAC demo

It was 2013 - http://www.enjoythemusic.com/capitol_audiofest_2013/part1/page2.htm

It is down the page.  I bought my Meitner lightly used from a guy on Audiogon who bought it lightly used from someone else and it was barely broken in.  He didn't have enough digital and bought a Benchmark, one of the DACs included in the stack.  I was with someone in the room early on Friday afternoon and besides John Gatski of Everything who had the room only Alan Silverman (the recording engineer who was speaking at the CAF) was there.  I had a thumb drive and of all the DACs on PCM, I preferred the Teac.  I told the guy I bought the Meitner from.  He bought one and after comparing it to the Benchmark sold his.

I agree it's sad

josh358

« Reply #27 on: 31 Oct 2015, 09:12 pm »
It was 2013 - http://www.enjoythemusic.com/capitol_audiofest_2013/part1/page2.htm

It is down the page.  I bought my Meitner lightly used from a guy on Audiogon who bought it lightly used from someone else and it was barely broken in.  He didn't have enough digital and bought a Benchmark, one of the DACs included in the stack.  I was with someone in the room early on Friday afternoon and besides John Gatski of Everything who had the room only Alan Silverman (the recording engineer who was speaking at the CAF) was there.  I had a thumb drive and of all the DACs on PCM, I preferred the Teac.  I told the guy I bought the Meitner from.  He bought one and after comparing it to the Benchmark sold his.

I agree it's sad
Doesn't surprise me, Teac has done a lot of things right in that DAC -- Burr Brown converters, selectable filter characteristics, etc.

a.wayne

« Reply #28 on: 31 Oct 2015, 09:26 pm »

You mean a 17.2 ................  Wendell maybe working on one .... :)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #29 on: 1 Nov 2015, 12:12 am »
The primary advantage of this setup is that my phone battery dies after about 3 hours, forcing me to stop listening and eat.)
:D :D :D

We'll see about 17.2s - I've been pestering them for years to make a high end model that will fit in the average sized living room. 
Once you hear "that" sound you're kind of ruined for life.  They'd sell.

Speaking of eating, the wife is calling.

Robin Hood

« Reply #30 on: 2 Nov 2015, 06:46 pm »

What do you guys want - a 20.7 for the desktop? :nono: 

Just kidding, perfect 20.7 dimensions for me would be 79"(H) x 20"(W) x 2.5"(D). That would shave 18" off the width of a pair.  I'd even use it with dual DWMs.  Now let's see what Magnepan can offer.

Joe Nelson

« Reply #31 on: 2 Nov 2015, 07:02 pm »
What do you guys want - a 20.7 for the desktop? ...

YES!

Finally, someone thinking outside the box.

josh358

« Reply #32 on: 2 Nov 2015, 07:55 pm »
What do you guys want - a 20.7 for the desktop? :nono: 

Just kidding, perfect 20.7 dimensions for me would be 79"(H) x 20"(W) x 2.5"(D). That would shave 18" off the width of a pair.  I'd even use it with dual DWMs.  Now let's see what Magnepan can offer.
Agree. I've long argued for a modular Tympani -- thin true ribbon, dual magnet panel with response from 100-20K. Then you could buy separate bass panels if you had enough space, or use two DWM's, or a dynamic sub, or a combination depending on your needs.