Property managment company charging for floor waxing?

Folsom

I'm a bit ticked, why would you rent an apartment and then charge for regular, fully expected, unavoidable, maintenance? I wasn't charged when they fixed the roof. They never ask anyone if the floor needs waxed?

Thoughts? It wasn't abused. The only spots showing wear ironically were ones I didn't touch. They claim it was waxed before I moved from another unit to it, but I'm not certain they did because I moved in right after they painted, before they deep cleaned.

They've reduced my bill by complaining, but honestly I think it's BS.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Property managment company charging for floor waxing?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2015, 06:44 pm »
You didn't walk on the roof…

If you left it clean there shouldn't have been any charges.

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2015, 07:02 pm »
I went back to clean things more, that they had marked. Then they came up with new things I didn't clean but didn't tell me. When I said I went back and cleaned more, the lady said, "not really." But they didn't report me not cleaning the things they originally did? I moved out for health reasons related to the place...

I guess what really blows me away is that people like pestering people over extremely petty crap for a few dollars. It's not like they didn't make off awesome from 4 years of timely rent compared to nearly everyone else at the place screwing them over with BS. Those apartments have high turn over, way quicker than the lease. And many residents have cost them a bundle of money.

*Scotty*

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2015, 08:58 pm »
The only way to have proof, is to document everything with photos or videos, before and after cleaning. It is also wise to document any damage you see to a place before you move in so that you cannot be blamed for preexisting damage.
Scotty

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2015, 09:05 pm »
Rentals are expected to have normal wear and tear, they are only allowed to charge you for excessive wear (due to a pet usually) or damage. Definitely not waxing the floor, that's complete BS.

Tell them you have photographic proof of the condition of the place on moveout and you'll challenge any charges you receive.  :)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2015, 11:11 pm »
Along those same lines, our school district wants more millage for expected maintenance work (replacement of 40 year old boilers and re-roofing).  Don't suppose they'll be rebating the taxpayers for the energy savings from more efficient boilers.  Note that the increased boiler efficiency could have a 3 - 5 year payback, but the millage would go for 30 years.

Also along those same lines, my electric utility wants me to pay for damage to their equipment that is in my yard.  Just another example of trying to get the other guy to pay, regardless of the circumstances.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2015, 01:18 am »
Nope. Sounds like crap to me.  :nono:
Waxing floors is maintenance.
Fixing a roof is repair/maintenance.

Neither is the responsibility of the renter to pay for.
"Damage" to the interior of the apartment IS your responsibility, but then again, you have a deposit for that.
Sounds like they're hosing you.

You have a written contract that everybody signed that says what is your responsibility and what is there's?

Bob

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2015, 01:58 am »
We can all offer pronouncement about what is right or fair or moral, however the rules vary from one jurisdiction to the next. Here in Colorado we have a law that requires the landlord to itemize any deductions from the original security deposit and return the balance within 30 days unless the lease stipulates a different time frame. Failure to meet these requirements on the part of the landlord results in the tenant being awarded triple the original award that the small claims court recognizes.

I've been a landlord now for more than 25 years. In my leases I include in writing the policy for carpets. The carpeting is professionally cleaned before you move in and it will be professionally cleaned at you expense when you move out. It is agreed upon verbally before the lease is signed and it is always added in writing as an addendum. No one has ever objected.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2015, 12:10 pm »
But a roof?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2015, 09:30 pm »
We can all offer pronouncement about what is right or fair or moral, however the rules vary from one jurisdiction to the next. Here in Colorado we have a law that requires the landlord to itemize any deductions from the original security deposit and return the balance within 30 days unless the lease stipulates a different time frame. Failure to meet these requirements on the part of the landlord results in the tenant being awarded triple the original award that the small claims court recognizes.

I've been a landlord now for more than 25 years. In my leases I include in writing the policy for carpets. The carpeting is professionally cleaned before you move in and it will be professionally cleaned at you expense when you move out. It is agreed upon verbally before the lease is signed and it is always added in writing as an addendum. No one has ever objected.

I've also been a land lord for about 23 years. My lease also states that the carpets will be cleaned before you move in and you will be charged for them to be cleaned when you leave. This is a non refundable part of the agreement and it doesn't matter if the tenant thinks they need it or not. We do it for every tenant and they pay for it. Also, everything that is wrong with the place is documented when we do a walk thru before the tenant moves in, so that gives them a chance to write down on the agreement what they see wrong.

We also charge as part of the lease for the landscape/lawn mowing service so it is built in to the cost of renting the home. That way the place always looks good from outside and you don't have to worry about whether the tenant is going to do it on a regular basis.

If it's no written in the lease that you have to pay for the floors to be waxed you shouldn't have to pay for them.

The roof on an apt. building is shared so I can't imagine a landlord trying to get that out of the tenants.