A new direction ... from tube to solid state

GreatDane

A new direction ... from tube to solid state
« on: 18 Nov 2014, 12:31 am »
It may be time to change things up a bit. I've been running a big, hot, heavy tube power amp for over a year now, and getting that itch to (a) try something different, and (b) downsize/simplify things a bit.

Part of (a) is perhaps getting back into solid state, part of (b) is moving from a pre/power amp configuration to an integrated solution.

I have sampled the latest line of TEAC digital products, and found them really good. So I'm thinking of trying out one of their integrateds. TEAC really seems to making a resurgence.

I'm thinking either the:

1) AX-501 http://www.teac.com/product/ax-501/

or

2) AI-2000 http://www.teac.com/product/ai-2000/

Anyone have experience with either one of these?

Thanks in advance.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: A new direction ... from tube to solid state
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2014, 12:33 am »
The AX-501 looks nice.. Specs look decent too.
Let us know where you end up!

GreatDane

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2014, 12:35 am »
I gotta admit the AX-501 is some serious eye-candy, with the retro meters.

The AI-2000 may be more of a heavy hitter with the dual transformers. It is also AB, whereas the 501 is Class D. Apples to oranges, I suppose.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2014, 12:53 am »
The meters are very nice I must admit!!

*Scotty*

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2014, 02:02 am »
Both are available from Amazon, you could order both of them and return the one you didn't like or both of them for that matter. Amazon is very good about returns.
 The two amps quite likely sound very different from one another.
Scotty

Bigfishhk

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2014, 02:13 am »
It may be time to change things up a bit. I've been running a big, hot, heavy tube power amp for over a year now, and getting that itch to (a) try something different, and (b) downsize/simplify things a bit.

Part of (a) is perhaps getting back into solid state, part of (b) is moving from a pre/power amp configuration to an integrated
I haven't heard the TEAC but I recently auditioned and liked Rogue audio,s Pharoah and Sphinx integrated amps, combining class d amp with tube line stage. Runs cool, minimal maintenance on 2 input tubes, one box. Might be a nice hybrid tube SS solution.
Tb

DustyC

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2014, 04:14 am »
Yep, did the same thing, went from big, hot running tube stuff, to big hot running Class A solid state, to a integrated that keeps the signal in digital form all the way to the speaker outputs. And runs cool.
The NAD C390DD digital amplifier.  8)
Plenty of power and lots of features. Made use of most of them.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2014, 04:38 am »
GreatDane,

I'm afraid I can't offer experience on either TEAC unit, but the AI-2000 sure looks attractive for the price IMHO.

I know nothing about your system, but what occurred to me as a suggestion was the Sony HAPS1/S (or '/B') with 50W/ch and a 500 GB HD to store your music files. I don't know if it fits your style.

Dusty,

The NAD C390DD digital amplifier is precisely the amp I had placed in the top 5 choices for my upgrade right before I discovered AC. Now I'm surrounded by equipment and components from various vendors who have a presence on AC. I'm quite happy I found this place.  :banana piano:

DustyC

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2014, 04:11 am »
mresseguie,

So whatever is the "the bomb" on Audio Circle is what you buy? :? I'd rather listen first.  :)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2014, 06:16 am »
mresseguie,

So whatever is the "the bomb" on Audio Circle is what you buy? :? I'd rather listen first.  :)

The bomb? No. I'm afraid many of those  come with premium price tags. About 1/3 of my components were purchased used. I've used this approach as a stepping stone; I improve my systems' SQ and I get an education to boot. As I gain a better understanding of what better components can do for my sound, I upgrade. I'll happily buy someone's no longer wanted preamp, DAC, etc. if it fits my upgrade path.

I believe nearly all the vendors have reasonable (and some are downright generous) return policies, so I do get to listen first in my own home. I now own two AVA amps, but I had the option of sending them back if I were disappointed in any way. I'd pay shipping, but that is equivelant to the $$ I'd pay to drive to good audiophile shops.

No one in my vicinity sells NAD anymore, so I would have had to buy first from Spearit Sound or Crutchfield anyway.

I think the biggest risk I took recently was to order a Satori driver based speaker kit from Meniscus Sound, "Adelphos". Not only had I never heard a speaker using the SB Acoustics Satori drivers, but I was committing to building my own cabinet. [If you knew about my wood working skills, you'd shriek in fear.] It turns out my wood working skills are getting a wee bit better, and the speakers sound fantastic! For approximately $1k I got close to Scan Speak Revelator/Illuminator sound quality. Sweet!

Great bang for my buck here IMHO. YMMV.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2014, 10:21 am »

Now I'm surrounded by equipment and components from various vendors who have a presence on AC. I'm quite happy I found this place.

Funny, I realized one day that that had happened to me too!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2014, 10:52 am »
After 40 years of solid state, I now run both: Jadis Operetta RC2000S pre with Channel Island Audio D-100 (subwoofer, DAC, 100 watt modded Hypex mono-blocs) vs. Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Integrated (modern design, 40 wpc, uses a variety of tubes). 

I prefer the tube sound, but can easily live with the solid state during the week and just leave it on as I slip in and out of the man-cave.