Need help with placement

davejcb

Need help with placement
« on: 31 Aug 2004, 01:01 am »
Hi all,

Finally getting to set up the system, looking for some help from experienced audio nuts with the 3A speakers.

My room is 210" long, 194" wide, and 77" high, so damn near square. :( I've taken a look at the Cardas method and tried the Speakerworx software, doesn't work, wants my speakers halfway across the room and me past the wall, not gonna work.

I've just started placing the Royal Masters, and I'm using Visual Ears by KB Acoustics. Got some 705-FRK, but haven't started placing that stuff yet.

This is what I've come up with so far... How does it look? Here are the measurements VE gave me on this placement, keep in mind top left is 0,0,0.

Also, I have this very nice irregularity to deal with in the room, anything I can do to compensate placement-wise, or I'll just have to deal with it when I set up room treatments?

It sounds nice right now, but it's boxy, no imaging, and no centre image at all.

Thanks!

davejcb

Need help with placement
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2004, 04:07 am »
Another thing I forgot to mention is that the image shifts to the left a lot, no matter what I seem to do...

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Need help with placement
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2004, 06:30 am »
Personally I like to start with the DC's/RM's closer together then work my way out with their width.  I maintain the equilateral triangle position with placement of speakers and listening seat.

Maybe start with them 6-7ft apart and you seated 6-7ft from each speaker.  This will be pretty much nearfield listening but it will give you more room to work with movement of the speakers.  To address the center imaging problem, move the speakers closer together then work them out towards the walls slowly.  This can be done more quickly simply by moving your listening seat closer or farther away from the line of the speakers.  Did you get speaker stands or are they still on the floor? :wink:

The stairs could be fixed if you placed your speakers on the other wall or perhaps at an angle but that might put your listening seat in an awkward spot.

Go crazy with experimenting as it will help you to get more familiar with the room acoustics in that setting.

As for the heavy left side of sound...check all connections, polarity, equipment (bias your tube amps if needed), just doudble check the balance on your preamp if there is one.  If you still can't pinpoint it, try to get a friend to come over with a receiver and see if you still experience the same problem.

Here is another possibility:

davejcb

Need help with placement
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2004, 02:13 pm »
Yeah, they're on stands...  :lol:

I'll try a diagonal placement and see what that sounds like.

Thanks Ryan!

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Need help with placement
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2004, 06:56 pm »
Here is another idea for your room:

Bass trap and bass panels.  I just ordered a box of six panels that cover 48sqft for$107.  The panels are Knauf Insulation Board 2" thick 6.00PCF panels that are faced with FSK (an aluminum backing on one side).  

If you need some high frequency absorbtion I would get 3-4" thick panels but less density; around 2.25-3.00 PCF (lbs/ cubic foot).  

The Basstrap in the picture I think should also have just regular fiberglass stuffed down behind the main panels for even more absorbtion.  You would probably have to make some kind of wooden frame to help it all stay in there and keep it's shape.  

I personally am excited to actually get some of these panels made soon.  Of course the wife is going to freak out when she sees these big hideous monoliths hanging from the walls in our living room. :wink:

melville

Need help with placement
« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2004, 05:05 pm »
I have the Royal Virtuoso speakers, and they do not disappear very well.  All of the reviews that I have read have them placed well out into the room and well away from side walls.  I am not able to do this because of the size of my room and because it is my living-room (SAF, etc.).  Things improve a lot if I listen in the nearfield, but this is not optimal for more than one person.  My room is 16X10X8 ft.,  and I have the speakers 20" out from the short wall and about 18" from the side walls.  I use no toe-in.

They image and soundstage well in this configuration, but do not disappear.  I am very impressed with their sound in spite of this shortcoming.  It is only an issue with me because they are universally extolled as masters of the disappearing act.

I know that this does not help you with your problem.  I just thought that you might like to know that there is someone with the same speakers experiencing a similar problem.

davejcb

Need help with placement
« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2004, 09:28 pm »
Have you tried bringing them out further when the wife is gone just for shits and giggles?