Aaron Hernandez CNN Special

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Aaron Hernandez CNN Special
« on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:01 am »
Hi,I after watching the NFL for 47 years, I was 10 when I witnessed the the Dallas Greenbay Icebowl,1967, I saw the Aaron Hernandez story the other night on CNN. I'm an age old Patriot fan but can't bring myself to ever watch the NFL again after watching that and seeing whats going on in the league today. Ironically I still have some papers aging in my old desk of the O.J. Simpson fan club which I joined in the 8th grade, a simple news letter mailed to you monthly. As  youth I idolized Lilly,Butkus,Page, Buchanan,Kapp,ect...race didn't factor in....what happened?...Mark Korda

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Aaron Hernandez CNN Special
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:30 am »
Guys like Butkus and Lilly worked off season jobs to make extra bucks.  They weren't idolized from the 7th grade up.  So many "stars" have never had to go by the rules, principals looked the other way, teachers fudged grades, in college they didn't even have to go to class.  DUI? hey, boys will be boys and no charges filed.  The sense of entitlement creates a lack of character.  Some programs have had enough... Charlie Strong at UT has shown 9 players the door since he took over last year. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2014, 10:43 am »
Also back then there wasn't 24 hour news digging out every detail of their personal lives.  Lots of very, very bad behavior wasn't reported back then.  It was considered off the field and not suitable for responsible reporting.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2014, 12:20 pm »
Guys like Butkus and Lilly worked off season jobs to make extra bucks.   So many "stars" have never had to go by the rules, principals looked the other way, teachers fudged grades, in college they didn't even have to go to class............... 

In the mid-60s, All-Pro cornerback Bobby Boyd of the BALTIMORE Colts was a teacher in the off-season.  He worked for my father.    Other Colts you'd see in the neighborhoods, buying gas,, groceries, etc.   Those were the days............

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2014, 12:58 pm »
Bla Bla Bla...
Everything used to be sooooo much better. :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2014, 04:38 pm »
Yeah, like when "Father Knew Best".

That shit's long gone now that women rule the world.    :lol:

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2014, 04:46 pm »
Bla Bla Bla...
Everything used to be sooooo much better. :thumb:
There have always been misbehaving athletes... but yes, it was better decades ago.  However, I must admit that I was moved by the intellectual nature of your argument.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2014, 08:57 pm »
This guy takes the cake.  I could never trust a dude with tattoos all the way down to his knuckles.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2014, 09:29 pm »
Yeah, spend thousands on tattoos to prove you're tough.  If you're lucky you can get a gig in a commercial when you're 100+ lbs heavier, recreating an obnoxious end-zone dance you did 20+ years ago in what, Houston?   :shake:

Same with all the cars, huge houses, entourage, etc.   

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2014, 11:24 pm »
Every once in awhile you hear a story about a pro athlete that saves his money, buys a modest home for his mom, and gives to charity, but that wouldn't be as good of a story.  Then again, maybe it would, just sayin.

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2014, 11:52 pm »
Every once in awhile you hear a story about a pro athlete that saves his money, buys a modest home for his mom, and gives to charity, but that wouldn't be as good of a story.  Then again, maybe it would, just sayin.
I suspect every team has several high character guys, they just don't get the ink.  With the Cowboys, the community leader is Jason Witten (and used to be Demarcus Ware)... and from what I read, Dez B is very active in charity work.  I only know one NFL athlete- at least for one more season.  Colt McCoy has saved his couple of million, is expecting to have a life after football.  Family guy and straight shooter.  Although he would disagree, riding the bench for $750K makes a lot more sense than starting and getting your brain turned to pre-Alzheimer jelly for $10mil per year.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2014, 11:58 pm »
These guys never let up. One indiscretion follows another. Now it is being reported that Colin Kaepernick has just been fined $10,000 for submitting to an interview while wearing Beats headphones around his neck. Apparently he was in violation of an agreement between the league and Bose concerning a Bose headphone exclusivity.

That should be enough to quell any arguments about the good intentions and legitimacy of the NFL. What can be done to precipitate vacation of their not for profit status? Clearly they are about nothing else.

Lets take the focus off the players and put it on the league where it belongs.

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2014, 12:04 am »
These guys never let up. One indiscretion follows another. Now it is being reported that Colin Kaepernick has just been fined $10,000 for submitting to an interview while wearing Beats headphones around his neck. Apparently he was in violation of an agreement between the league and Bose concerning a Bose headphone exclusivity.

That should be enough to quell any arguments about the good intentions and legitimacy of the NFL. What can be done to precipitate vacation of their not for profit status? Clearly they are about nothing else.

Lets take the focus off the players and put it on the league where it belongs.
I just saw this and was going to post some smartass comment... Macro beat me to it. 
Yep, the almighty $ rules the NFL

sts9fan

« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2014, 12:19 am »
This guy takes the cake.  I could never trust a dude with tattoos all the way down to his knuckles.

Good point!!

sts9fan

« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2014, 12:21 am »
FYI, NFL players are arrested at the national average.

craigh

« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2014, 01:16 am »
Here's the problem as I see it.  All professional athletes in the major sports are overpaid.  Especially in football, all the scum of the earth are all pumped up on steroids & they think they can get away with anything.  I'm glad I'm old enough to have been able to watch & appreciate sports when they all played for the love of the game.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2014, 04:12 am »
Hi, all you guys had great oppinions! Thanks for sharing. Now I'm going to change course. In 1986 or so Jim McMahon the QB of the Bears got fined for wearing a headband that said Nike. There are rules that deal with uniform appearance, your socks have to be right up to the knee,or a fine. So the Pats played the Bengals the other night. I don't mean to sound limpwristed, not that theres any thing wrong with that?, but the Gronk had a great night and with a nice Samsung TV I kept laughing because his underwear was hanging over his football pants and it spelled out Hanes, like the ones I just got at Wallmart. Will the Gronk get a fine?......you guys are great football minds, love this site...Mark Korda

mav52

« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2014, 12:38 pm »

That shit's long gone now that women rule the world.    :lol:

No that will happen until after the next presidential election in the US

sts9fan

« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2014, 02:50 pm »
Here's the problem as I see it.  All professional athletes in the major sports are overpaid.  Especially in football, all the scum of the earth are all pumped up on steroids & they think they can get away with anything.  I'm glad I'm old enough to have been able to watch & appreciate sports when they all played for the love of the game.

Why are they over paid?  Should the owners get all the money?  They are the product and deserve the money.