2014 Formula 1: an audiophile experience no more.

Crimson

I'm not a fan of the quiet races. Melbourne and KL were underwhelming; the aural experience is gone.

Call me sad.

Davey

Re: 2014 Formula 1: an audiophile experience no more.
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2014, 01:05 am »
If they keep going at this rate Formula 1 will be fully electric in a couple of years.  I think Formula 1 should be much more about performance vice technology demonstration, but they've chosen a little different path.  :)

I don't think the sound change is that big of an issue.  Nothing translates well via the television anyway.  I've been to a few NHRA events and also a few Indy car races.  The sound at a real event is AWESOME and can't be conveyed at all to your TV room.

Dave.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2014, 03:21 pm »
I disagree about the sound. As soon as I heard the first race, I thought, OMG, they've destroyed F1! As long as you're not at the race, the screaming sounds of 18K RPM was a major part of the experience. Years ago I D/Led I think an MP3 recording someone had made with stereo mikes of a F1 race including 2 pit stops. I play it occasionally and never tire of the part where those damn cars sound like jet fighters. Amazing stuff. They've ruined it as far as I'm concerned.

Gene

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2014, 04:22 pm »
I go to at least one race a year. This year I've got Montreal and Austin on the calender. I'm really bummed. I don't mind the sound of turbos and tires, but it's not F1.

loki1957

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2014, 04:26 pm »
But what about the races themselves? So far I think they've been entertaining in the midfield.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2014, 06:12 pm »
The only F1 race I have seen is in Montreal, and it was in the late 90's.

I will never ever forget the sound of those cars hard on the brakes, or full on the throttle.  It is an angry screaming they used to make.  I raced motorcycles for years and have experience with high RPM tuned motors, but NOTHING like those motors full on the boil out of a corner.

Impossible to stomach without earplugs.  I tried it, and lasted about 15 seconds before putting them back in.

I really don't watch much F1 anymore, but I did love the sounds they used to make.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2014, 08:25 pm »
Not sure I would have ever called it "audiophile" but loved the sound of those screaming engines.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2014, 09:39 pm »
I have been to more than a few F1 races live, and the old V12 and V10 and V8 sounds were simply too loud.  Me and my son used foam ear plugs and over the ear protectors both and still we felt the sound, not just heard it.  I am glad we did or I would not be in the audio business right now.  WHAT ???  Please speak up.

Its the technology, driver skill, team skill, and overall atmosphere I enjoyed live, not just the much higher sound levels then a rock concert.

Nobody complains about turbocharged Indy cars being too quiet.  Remember a turbocharger is a great big muffler, very effective at it.

Frank VA

loki1957

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2014, 09:53 pm »
People seem to have forgotten the 80's and the turbo cars of that era. They made crazy horse power but were quiet. I still say it's more about the actual racing.

Crimson

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2014, 10:41 pm »
Of course it's about the racing. But it's also about the whole F1 experience: goose bumps and all.