Dishwasher brands - recommendations?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Dishwasher brands - recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 4 Feb 2014, 04:53 am »

Also Bosch - going on 10 years for this unit and it's been very good. Watch it blow up tomorrow... :green:

D.D.

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 4 Feb 2014, 05:54 am »
Well, golly gosh, we also have a Bosch.

Not having thought about it before, but wrt whitegoods I've been very pleased with the Germans (Bosch, Miele) and not so much with the Kiwis and Koreans (Fisher and Paykel, LG). However it would also be fair to say that this observation could be restated as I've been very pleased with the more expensive appliances and less so when we've bought budget-oriented items.

Nick77

« Reply #22 on: 4 Feb 2014, 11:21 am »
Our new GE GDT580SSFSS not only looks great but so quiet we can hardly hear it running. Has a nice short cycle which we love and the rack system slides effortlessly. I wouldnt shy away from a nicer GE, we considered Bosch but we got a sizable rebate by purchasing several GE appliances.
http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=GDT580SSFSS
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2014, 01:20 pm by Nick77 »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 4 Feb 2014, 01:12 pm »
I've had ASKO for 16 years. Sold the first one after 3 years with sale of the house. Current one has been in place since 2000. We have never had any kind of problem at all and have no thoughts of replacing it. Also have ASKO washer and dryer which we brought from our previous house, which makes them 17 years old. Because of these units I have experience with ASKO service which varies widely depending on your area, so you may want to check into that matter for your location. Problems with W/D combo have been mostly simple belt replacements and the like. Dishwasher has never hiccuped. 100% reliable.

Incidentally, anytime I am tempted to consider a Consumer Reports recommendation, I check out what they are recommending for audio. That cures me of trusting them at all.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 4 Feb 2014, 02:51 pm »
No one's mentioned Samsung except the OP, but we like ours a lot, very quiet, you can't tell it's on except for the buttons being lit up.  Cleans everything completely on normal cycle even when using cheap detergent.  It has a sanitize feature as well, can't say I've ever used it as we're trying to use less energy, not more.

BobC

« Reply #25 on: 4 Feb 2014, 06:48 pm »
I have had good experiences with Bosch dishwashers. I just replaced my 19 year old Miele with a Bosch and am impressed by two things. First it gets dishes and especially glasses sparkling clean. Second, it is even quieter than my Miele was. At about $800, it is impossible to beat.

+1 for a Bosch reco.  Works great and really really quiet.  It shines a little red light on the floor to tell you it's running!  Also has an internal water softener and can adjust for optimal hardness...but need to add special salt.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #26 on: 4 Feb 2014, 07:39 pm »
+1 for a Bosch reco.  Works great and really really quiet.  It shines a little red light on the floor to tell you it's running!  Also has an internal water softener and can adjust for optimal hardness...but need to add special salt.
Yes, some of the latest Bosch units have a built in water softener. They addressed the problem of white powdery film depositing on the dishes from using phosphate free detergents.
If you live in a hard water area consider a water softener, built in or otherwise, mandatory for clean dishes.   Greg

jackman

« Reply #27 on: 5 Feb 2014, 03:31 pm »
It looks like the reputation of Bosch is shared by many people.  They appear to be well designed and reliable.  Here is a ranking I found recently.  Our Kitchen Aid has worked well and I would recommend it.  We bought it because it looked cool and had stainless interior and exterior.  It's very quiet and the price was pretty good. 

http://www.cdtv.net/newswire/node/1130

ctviggen

« Reply #28 on: 5 Feb 2014, 03:42 pm »
I'm on my third Bosch dishwasher (one in each house).  They are very quiet and work very well.  The current model has a third rack specifically for silverware, and I like this option.  The only thing I don't like is they reserved a space on the bottom rack for a silverware container (which is included but we don't use), and that's basically an empty space.  They didn't put any tines there.  Otherwise, I really like Bosch dishwashers, and they have a large price range from reasonable to expensive. 

craig223

« Reply #29 on: 5 Feb 2014, 05:01 pm »
Must be unlucky.  Purchased top of the line Bosch in 2007.  Several repairs to replace faulty control board and other issues came to over $400.  Last week the motor burned out.  Had to pay repair guy $80 to check it out.  He wanted another $460 to replace the motor.  Going to try a new Samsung rather than replace the motor.  The Bosch was quiet and cleaned well.

ctviggen

« Reply #30 on: 5 Feb 2014, 06:52 pm »
if you work on your own appliances, Bosch is also really nice that way too.   Some companies will not provide the service manuals, but Bosch generally will, especially if you call them.  I've had some appliance manufacturers that refused to give me a manual.

Thirsty

« Reply #31 on: 5 Feb 2014, 07:47 pm »
I put in a Whirlpool when I bought my house 21 years ago, still running strong.

BobM

« Reply #32 on: 6 Feb 2014, 01:57 pm »
Yeah, the Bosch units are very nice. But they are built on a European style, meaning they are much smaller inside than the typical American machine. We opted for a Kitchen Aid because of that and have been very happy. If you have a 2 person household then it may not be an issue, but with 2 kids going through plates and glasses we needed something that could handle the never ending load.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 6 Feb 2014, 02:01 pm »
Yeah, the Bosch units are very nice. But they are built on a European style, meaning they are much smaller inside than the typical American machine. We opted for a Kitchen Aid because of that and have been very happy. If you have a 2 person household then it may not be an issue, but with 2 kids going through plates and glasses we needed something that could handle the never ending load.
The exterior dimensions of dishwashers appear to be standardized. How could the capacity vary very much?

BobM

« Reply #34 on: 7 Feb 2014, 01:55 pm »
Just open the door of a Bosch unit next to another non-European brand side by side. Look inside. It's fairly obvious.

sounddog

« Reply #35 on: 10 Feb 2014, 03:06 am »
I agree with Bob. We switched from Bosch to KitchenAid for the same reason. Also the KitchenAid dries better than the Bosch and at least the model we got is as quiet.

jopagi

« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2014, 08:30 pm »
We switched from a KitchenAid to a Bosch four years ago.    It's been very quiet and reliable.   

As nice as it is however, it was not the best move for us, specifically because of the capacity issue mentioned above.   The Bosch is quiet partly because it has a lot of insulation, which takes space.   The walls are noticeably thicker than our old KitchenAid.

The top rack has a flap designed to allow glasses to stack; I think most dishwashers have this feature.   On the Bosch, however, only very small glasses can fit underneath the flap.   None of our cups or glassware is small enough to fit under there.   That significantly reduced the useful capacity of the dishwasher for us.

It was our mistake to not bring some of our dishes and glasses along to verify that they would stack well.   It didn't occur to us at the time, but after the fact I read several recommendations to do just that.

Good luck with your search.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2014, 08:51 pm »
Agreed, the bosch is smaller because of the added insulation.  We just run it more frequently, which I don't feel bad about since it uses so little water and power.

fado

« Reply #38 on: 10 Feb 2014, 10:02 pm »
We have had a Miele dishwasher for about 16 years without any issues. It is quiet and very water and energy efficient. I don't know how capacity compares with other brands but has worked fine for a family of three. We also have the Miele clothes washer and dryer which I think are superb. The Miele will be more than $1000 however.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #39 on: 14 Feb 2014, 02:25 pm »
All I can say is that our old machine gave up the ghost a few years back after a part broke that was no longer available. It cleaned the dishes very well, but was not considered "energy efficient" by today's standards.

We looked at a few and spent extra for a high end KitchenAid model that was full of extra features, "quiet", and recommended.

We've been fairly disappointed. The same part has broken twice (first time covered by warranty, not the second time).

Doesn't clean worth a d@mn. If you make a full load, count on several pieces not being clean.

But Hey! It's energy efficient!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
RANT/VENT  :banghead: :cuss:

Same blasted part broke AGAIN!!!

This is turning into the most troublesome POS I've ever owned.

:cuss: :cuss: