Anyone know what key areas Home Inspector should be looking at?

Don_S

Please (gently) tell me if I am wrong on this.  I do not think there is any requirement that all items be brought up to current code (e.g. upgrading to 100 amp service). I think upgrading to current code is only required at the time replacement/repair work or remodeling is done.

Obviously hazards should be promptly repaired. Otherwise grandfather rules apply.

For example a 60 amp service would not be required to be upgraded to 100 amps unless there was a problem with it or it was unsafe due to added circuits like a home addition or workshop. The service should have been upgraded when those were added. Maybe the home did not have A/C and it was added. At which time the electrical service should have been upgraded. At any rate, my thinking is a 60 amp service would not meet code if power demand conditions were added.  Otherwise it is grandfathered.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2013, 05:51 pm by Don_S »

rif

• Not a cowboy

I don't think my lender and VA will approve the loan if these things are not fixed. Thoughts??

Check on this ASAP. I have heard of it before. It works both ways, but It's a real PITA for the seller - can't sell the house if no one can get a mortgage from the bank. So the seller ends up making "repairs" to bring it up to code without a buyer lined up. That's $ they'll never fully recoup.

ctviggen

Please (gently) tell me if I am wrong on this.  I do not think there is any requirement that all items be brought up to current code (e.g. upgrading to 100 amp service). I think upgrading to current code is only required at the time replacement/repair work or remodeling is done.

Obviously hazards should be promptly repaired. Otherwise grandfather rules apply.

For example a 60 amp service would not be required to be upgraded to 100 amps unless there was a problem with it or it was unsafe do to added circuits like a home addition or workshop. The service should have been upgraded when those were added. Maybe the home did not have A/C and it was added. At which time the electrical service should have been upgraded. At any rate, my thinking is a 60 amp service would not meet code if power demand conditions were added.  Otherwise it is grandfathered.

Usually, they don't require bringing up to code even with changes (the NEW stuff will be up to code, but the OLD stuff will not).  Because if they made you redo everything up to code, it would be a bear.  For instance, in my house, all of my "old" outlets are installed with the ground toward the ground.  All of the "new" outlets are installed with the ground toward the ceiling (which is the new code). 

60 Amps is a pretty small amperage.  The house must have gas everything (heater, water heater, clothes dryer, range, stove). 

rif

• Not a cowboy
Usually, they don't require bringing up to code even with changes (the NEW stuff will be up to code, but the OLD stuff will not).  Because if they made you redo everything up to code, it would be a bear. 

That's a big assumption to make and depends on who is setting the rules. I believe in the case I'm thinking of it was the local town {which is a bit of a misnomer since it encompasses dozens of towns itself - hundred of thousands of people). It didn't matter if it was up to code when the changes were made. It had to be brought up to current code.  Describing it as a "bear" is an understatement. It took about a year iirc.  That's just because buyers couldn't get mortgages otherwise. 10 years ago it would have been a different story

geowak

The house was built in 1966.

Yes I agree with the comments about the 60amp box being enough when the house was built. The house is in a smaller town next to a medium metro area. I certainly appreciate all the comments coming in. I am trying to put myself in the place of an average buyer and just asking for reasonable fixes. I know that a contractor can come in and buy "as is", fix it and flip the house for a profit. I just don't have the time (or energy) to do this. Plus, the VA will not approve a loan if the house will NOT meet certain standards even if the seller reduces the price.

Before I go for a VA appraisal, (they are a bit expensive in Ohio) I want to know if they agree to making the repairs to the house.

geowak

Well thanks again to all. I will take this advice with me as I continue to look at other homes.

Seller will not agree to $5K in repairs house needs according to home inspection. Oddly, my realtor has stated to me that the seller and their realtor do NOT have to include the inspection I paid for as part of the disclosures on the home for future potential buyers to see, UNLESS the seller asks if a home inspection was done. WOW!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Yea, that seems deceptive. Because before they could play "stupid", but now, they and the Realtor both KNOW what's broken.
Just another example of simple things in the judicial system that should be changed.

I helped build my house about 12 years ago. I've done extensive alterations and modifications to almost every aspect of it since day one.
I've thought about paying an inspector to check the place out, just to make sure there aren't glaring faults that I'm blind to since I see them every day.

As far as I'm concerned, the seller should pay for the inspection. It sucks the buyer has to pay to have somebody elses house analyzed.  :?

Bob

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Well, if you paid for the report, YOU own it, not the seller.  You could offer to sell it to the cheap-ass seller for 50% of the costs, or offer the same deal to the seller's realtor but I doubt they'd go for it.

Is there a local real estate forum where you could publish your experience, and offer the report to potential buyers.

That refusal to correct the problem could ultimately cost them a lot more than $5K.  That's chicken feed on a house sale.  Dumbasses!   :nono:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Well, if you paid for the report, YOU own it, not the seller.  You could offer to sell it to the cheap-ass seller for 50% of the costs,..........
I was thinking the same thing, but since Geowak already said, "Here's a list of what was found messed up", then the seller already knows the major faults.
But Hell yea, You bought and paid for that report. It would be nice if they didn't know the results unless they "cashed up", but it sounds like they don't care anyway.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
That cost kept you from making a mistake.  Money well spent, IMHO.  Sure would be nice to get some of that back.

Know any audiophiles in the neighborhood?  We could tour the house one-by-one and make low-ball offers........... :icon_twisted:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
That cost kept you from making a mistake.  Money well spent, IMHO.......
Absolutely, I agree 100% (I see it in the used-auto industry)
But how many houses does the innocent guy pay to have inspected?
Damn, after a while, I'd get kind of tired paying to have 50 year old houses checked out.

What does it cost now-a-days to have a house inspected?

geowak

Absolutely, I agree 100% (I see it in the used-auto industry)
But how many houses does the innocent guy pay to have inspected?
Damn, after a while, I'd get kind of tired paying to have 50 year old houses checked out.

What does it cost now-a-days to have a house inspected?

Bob, in Ohio $460 and that includes a Radon monitor. We have an odd amount of Radon gas here in the Great Lakes area. Also, get this, the sellers realtor wanted my realtor to make my "good faith" deposit of $1K non-refundable after 10 days into my first offer for the house. Why? Because I cancelled the VA appraisal of the house that he made, and I would have had to pay $400 to do. All this before the house had a certified inspection!

I could have kicked that realtor in the family jewels for a three point field goal.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Good that you walked away.    :roll:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
"People suck".  :duh:

Glad you skipped that one though.

geowak

I have revived this topic since so many of you here have given a helping hand. Bob in St Lo, Thunderbrick, rif, ctviggen, Don_s, Mcgsxr and really all of you. Thanks!

Update- Did not buy the house in the spring/summer but having one inspected today. Between what I have been educated on here and my inspector, I am determined to find a house in decent shape. I have downloaded some inspection checklists from this topic and feel I am better "armed" with the right questions and info.

Once again thanks gents. Wish my wife and I... good luck.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Glad to be of assistance my friend. Best wishes for you.  :thumb:

ctviggen

We bought a house.  I can tell you what happened.  The leak in a roof we thought wasn't active was.  It would leak every significant rain storm.  That was $900 to fix.

The garage door that was loud and jumped a bit was the first of several problems (3 car garage).  That cost $800 to fix, although one of the openers just went out a day ago.  Think $200 for an opener and you install it yourself.

The dishwasher's tines (or whatever the things are that hold up the glasses/plates) literally were rusting off.  Every time we used the dishwasher, we'd find a tine in the bottom.  So, we bought a new dishwasher.

There was a leak in the basement (never seen by the inspector, not sure he could've seen it unless it rained).  We found it on closing day .  We stupidly took $300 for it.  We estimate it'll cost probably 5-10k to fix.  It's caused because there's fracturing of the concrete where the main beam sits on the concrete.  So, that means digging down an putting some rubber compound on everything, plus probably running drainage.  The problem is the two AC units are right where you need to dig. 

One of fridge's, the one in the main house (we bought the house for the in law), had a water/ice maker.  The ice maker flap kept getting stuck.  We would've bought another fridge, but we used my mother's fridge (my mom now lives in the in law). 

Every light on the outside of the house needs to be replaced.  They all look or are horrible.

All of the pool cleaning and filtration equipment needed to be replaced.  That was about $600. 

The previous owners rented everything.  They rented the water system from Culligan.  We bought the system for $3,000.  (Personally, I think Culligan jacks up the prices of their equipment to make renting seem reasonable, but we got a replacement estimate for several thousand more from a non-Culligan dealer).

I could go on. 

WGH

A couple of items not mentioned is the water and sewer line. Depending on the age of the house one or both may need to be replaced. Luckily my sewer line is good but the 60 year old water line was replaced when I removed the pool which saved me a bundle.

Trenching for 100' of PEX.

Wayne

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Roof!  Mine OKed a roof with holes in it.  He was more interested in future referrals from the realtor than my interests.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Found a house recently and made an offer. Now a professional home inspector will be looking at the house with myself standing beside him. Im a newbe at this. What should he be looking at? I am most concerned about critical areas, that might cost me mega bucks if he/she miss the area?

Being a licensed PE, I had my own Home Inspection business for several years before the housing crash...

Below, is my checkoff list that I used when conducting the on-site inspection...

Cheers,
Pete

BUILDING ANALYSIS NOTES

Lower level (first floor):
Dining Room    Living Room     Kitchen    eat-in-kitchen        Den       Laundry      Mud room      Study      Maid’s Room     
Master Bedroom      Bedroom      Bedroom       Bedroom     Bedroom     Master bathroom    Full bathroom     Half  Bathroom     

Middle level (second floor):   
Dining Room    Living Room     Kitchen    eat-in-kitchen        Den       Laundry      Mud room      Study      Maid’s Room     
Master Bedroom      Bedroom      Bedroom       Bedroom     Bedroom     Master bathroom    Full bathroom     Half  Bathroom     

Upper level (third floor):

Basement: Dining Room    Living Room     Kitchen    eat-in-kitchen        Den       Laundry      Mud room      Study      Maid’s Room     
Laundry Room      Utility room    Boiler Room     Family Room      Bedroom    Bedroom      Full Bathroom      Half Bathroom     

Attic:   
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ _________________________
STRUCTURAL
Type of Building:      contemporary    colonial    high-ranch     cape    ranch    split level      farm house     bungalow
Single      Duplex     Rowhouse     Townhouse     Condo      Co-op

Age of Home:  _______________    per  owner     agent     buyer        appearance consistent with age:   Y    N

Frame:    Wood      masonry    other_____________________________

Roof:     gable   shed      hip      gambrel      mansard      flat      combination gable (two level)     reverse gable

Facing:      north        south        east          west     
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ ___________________________
Structure: 
foundation wall:     poured concrete     block      brick and block     solid brick     concrete slats    solid perimeter      block perimeter
   condition:    A     F       P      cracks     repoint   
Floor framing:  concrete slab        (2x4)      (2x6)      (2x8)     (2x10)    viewed from:    basement    stairwell opening
Wall framing:   unknown   (2x4)      (2x6)      (2x8)     (2x10)    viewed from:    attic     thickness of window and door openings
Roof  framing:  unknown   truss  (2x4)      (2x6)      (2x8)     (2x10)    viewed from:    attic

Signs of:   Water damage   None noted      
Location:    _______________________________________ _______________________________________ ___
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ ____________

Signs of Insect damage      None noted      No insects noted at inspection
Location:  _______________________________________ _______________________________________ ___
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ ____________

No major structural defects noted        normal condition for its age.       
Walls and roof framing:   sagging       structural defects.           Location:   _______________________________________ ____

Notes: 

STRUCTURAL

BASEMENT

Basement:     Full      none    1/4       1/2        open walls      closed walls    open ceiling      closed ceiling
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ ___________________________
Floor:    concrete      dirt      coverings:  resilient tile      carpeting       other _______________________________________ ____
condition:     A      F     P      cracks       level      repair
Walls:    Concrete      coverings:  paneling     drywall   
condition:    A      F      P     cracks        plumb   leaks:   No      location:  _______________________________________ _
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ ___________________________Stored items:      Many items        Few items          ___________________%       No items
Supports:    metal        wood     locust posts      walls        Recommend supports be added to ______________________________
condition:    A     F     P     replace      repair
Floor drain:       location: __________________________________   condition:    A     F     P     replace
Basement Dampness:    Efflorescence     standing water    Location:   ___________________________________     none noted       
Tests with moisture meter:   dry    damp   wet        Recommend: _______________________________________ _
Crawl Space:    entered:    Y      N      viewed from: ___________________________________
Floor:    concrete     dirt      other ___________________________
clearance below joists:     ample      inadequate     
Dampness:    efflorescence     standing water   none noted
Vapor barrier:    insulation       ventilation       plastic     none noted

HEATING AND COOLING

Heating System: 
Fuel:  Gas        Oil         Electric       LP gas(propane)

Type:      Forced Air Furnace       gravity hot water boiler    heat pump      Forced hot water boiler     
steam boiler         radiant heat           electric baseboard

Brand:  _______________________________________ ___   Age:   N    M    O   
Capacity:  adequate      not adequate           Condition:   A     F      P       replace     repair

When turned on by thermostat:  fired     did not fire    Sufficient heat    Insufficient heat   Too hot to determine
No heat present in _______________________________________ ____________

Firomatic safety valve located:  boiler end    tank end       both ends         Add  to:_______________________________________ _

Pressure relief valve:     present      not present     recommend adding        leaks          repair      replace
Extension          present      not present     recommend adding        too short    repair      replace

# of zones:   ______________________________

Thermostats:
Location: ___________________________     Brand:  _______________________   Condition:   A    F     P     not operating
Location: ___________________________     Brand: _______________________   Condition:   A    F     P     not operating
Location: ___________________________     Brand:  ______________________   Condition:   A    F     P     not operating
Location: ___________________________     Brand::  ______________________   Condition:   A    F     P     not operating

Notes:

Fuel Supply:   
Oil tank      Buried      Fiberglass     Metal      Location: _______________________________________ ____     
Size of tank:   275  500   1000    as noted by distance between  fill and vent pipes   
Condition of tank:    A    F     P       replace       No leaks     Leaks      location of leaks__________________________________ __

Electric

Public gas supply   LP gas (propane)   Location of meter/tank:   _____________________________   
Leaks  _______________________________________   No leaks

Heat Exchanger:    Checked   Not checked      Integral cannot visually inspected.     
Condition:    A    F    P      rust present   have evaluated         repair       replace
Distribution:    Ductwork    Galvanized pipes    Copper Pipes     Some not visible           Condition:  A    F     P       replace     repair

Convectors      Baseboard Convectors      Radiators      Wall registers       Ceiling registers       Floor registers
Heat distribution:  adequate   not adequate      even      not even        No heat present        Condition:  A   F     P      replace      repair

Humidifier:      Type:   Atomizer        Evaporator       Steam       None present   Add
Brand: ______________________________   Condition:    A    F     P      replace      repair     clean   
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ __________________________
Filter:  Washable      Disposable      Electronic       Brand: ____________________________________
condition:   A    F     P     replace     none present      add   
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ __________________________
Supplementary Heat:      Location:  _______________________________________ _____   Type:  Electric      oil       
brand:  __________________________      Condition:    A    F    P     replace     repair 

HEATING

Cooling:    

Central Air:    Brand:    ___________________________     Location of controller: ___________________________________   
Age:   N       M   O                  Location of compressor: __________________________________
heat pump    electric compressor        ductwork      floor registers   ceiling registers    wall registers          chiller   
Tested on random setting   Too cold to test      Condition:   A      F      P        replace      repair

Room Unit:     
Brand:   ________________________________  Location:   ____________________________________        
Age:   N       M      O              Too cold to test      Condition:    A     F      P        replace    repair
Brand:  ________________________________  Location:   _____________________________________      
Age:   N      M       O         Too cold to test      Condition:    A     F      P        replace    repair
Brand:  _________________________________ Location:   ____________________________________    
Age:   N      M      O         Too cold to test      Condition:    A     F      P       replace     repair

Ceiling Fans:       
Location:  ___________________________   Location:   ________________________________
Brand:      ___________________________   Brand:   _________________________________
Lights:   Y      N            Lights:     Y      N
condition:    A     F     P      replace      repair      condition:   A    F     P     replace      repair

Location:   ___________________________   Location:   ________________________________
Brand:        ___________________________   Brand:   _________________________________
Lights:   Y      N             Lights:     Y       N
condition:    A      F      P      replace     repair   condition:   A    F     P     replace     repair

Notes:

PLUMBING

Water service:   Public System:
Meter brand:   ______________________   location: _______________________________
Pipes:      Copper      Galvanized       Brass      Plastic      Lead       Unknown     
1"   3/4" entering house      Condition:   A     F      P        replace      leaks: ____________________________
Electric ground attached to:    house plumbing           main entering house  H    Str    side of  meter               old pump       

Private System:
Water pump:  Brand:  __________________________________   hp _________________      submersible
Location: ____________________________________      Condition:   A      F       P        replace     repair
Pipes:      Copper      Galvanized       Brass      Plastic      Lead       Unknown     
1"   3/4" entering house      Condition:   A     F      P        replace      leaks: ____________________________

Interior Pipes:   Copper      Galvanized      Brass      Plastic      Not visible
½ “   ¾ " house main to     ½ " distribution         Condition:    A    F    P       replace       leaks:____________________________
Water Flow:      Tested      Not tested   _______________gpm   _____________________psi

Hose Bibbs:   
Location:  north      south      east      west       garage       other:  ___________________________      
Turned off from inside      condition:    A     F      P      replace     leaks   no leaks   replace seals
Location:  north      south      east      west       garage       other: ___________________________
   Turned off from inside      condition:    A     F      P      replace     leaks    no leaks   replace seals   
Location:  north      south      east      west       garage       other: ___________________________
   Turned off from inside      condition:    A     F      P      replace     leaks     no leaks   replace seals   
   Turned off from inside       condition:    A     F      P      replace     leaks     no leaks   replace seals
Waste Discharge:     Public      Private           Low level system         Unable to determine
operating properly         not operating      location of leak: _____________________________________        No leaks
slow drain  location: ___________________________
House trap:  plastic     lead     cast iron     copper   galvanized      unknown          condition:   A    F     P       replace      leaks
Vent pipe:    plastic     lead     cast iron    copper    galvanized       unknown        condition:   A    F     P       replace      leaks
Waste lines inside:      plastic     lead    cast iron     copper    galvanized    unknown   condition:   A    F     P       replace      leaks
Sump/Ejector Pump:   Location:  ______________________________________   condition:   A    F    P        replace      leaks
Hot Water Heater:     Brand:  ________________________        Gas      Electric      Oil         Propane
Integral with heating system        Capacity: _______________ gallons   Ample for  3    4    5    6     7     8
Age:   N     M       O       pressure relief valve: present      add   extension:  present    add     
Temperature and quantity:     adequate   inadequate      
Condition:   A    F     P      replace      leaks ______________________________________   no leaks

BATHROOM #1:       1/2       Full      Location: _______________________________________ ___
Toilet         Built in tub      Leg tub      Stall shower         Bidet         Single Sink /Pedestal    Double Sink
Toilet:    A   F    P    replace         tub/shower:    A     F    P     replace   sink:  A    F    P    replace
Surround:   ceramic tile  in mortar /in mastic    fiberglass            Condition:  A     F    P    replace  regrout
Location plumbing Leaks:   _______________________________         None noted
Ventilation:   fan/model: _______________________     window  #___________     operating     not functional    repair    replace
GFCI outlets:  present     not present      operating    not operating properly      no outlets present
Floor covering:  ceramic tile   resilient tile    marble  carpet   wood    vinyl sheetgoods       condition:  A   F    P    replace
Wall covering:  ceramic tile    wood    wallpaper     paint   wall panels                    condition:  A   F    P     replace
Slow drain   location ______________________________
BATHROOM #2:    1/2       Full      Location: _______________________________________ ___
Toilet         Built in tub      Leg tub      Stall shower         Bidet         Single Sink /Pedestal    Double Sink
Toilet:    A   F    P    replace         tub/shower:    A     F    P     replace   sink:  A    F    P    replace
Surround:   ceramic tile  in mortar /in mastic    fiberglass            Condition:  A     F    P    replace  regrout
Ventilation:  fan/model: _________________________     window  #___________     operating   not functional   repair   replace
GFCI outlets:  present     not present      operating    not operating properly    no outlets present
Floor covering:  ceramic tile   resilient tile    marble  carpet   wood    vinyl sheetgoods       condition:  A   F    P    replace
Wall covering:  ceramic tile    wood    wallpaper     paint   wall panels                    condition:  A   F    P     replace
BATHROOM #3:    1/2       Full      Location: _______________________________________ ___
Ventilation:  fan/model: _________________________     window  #___________     operating  not functional   repair    replace
GFCI outlets:  present     not present      operating    not operating properly    no outlets present
BATHROOM #4:    1/2       Full      Location: _______________________________________ ___
Ventilation:   fan/model: _________________________     window  #___________     operating  not functional   repair    replace
BATHROOM #5:    1/2       Full      Location: _______________________________________ ___
Surround:   ceramic tile  in mortar /in mastic    fiberglass            Condition:  A     F    P    replace   regrout
Ventilation:   fan/model: _________________________     window  #___________     operating    not functional    repair     replace

ELECTRICAL

Service:   Location: ________________________      Meter brand: ____________________________
Line entrance:   overhead      underground           Cable size: ________ amps     
Panel box:  _____________  amps      Brand: _____________________________   Location:_______________________________   
condition:     A     F      P      replace              Fuses      Circuit breakers        
Grounded to:    water main      house plumbing   grounding rods           pump         not grounded
adequate      inadequate      upgrade
Service line entering house:    aluminum     copper          Condition:    A    F    P     replace

Sub panel box: _____________  amps      Brand: _____________________________   Location:_______________________________   
condition:     A     F      P      replace           Fuses      Circuit breakers        

Circuits:    Quantity:    ample      doubled up breaker:    Y    N
GFCI  outlets:   present     not present         Add in:     kitchen,   bathroom     exterior  areas     laundry room

Conductors:   Branch wiring:     copper      aluminum       pigatailed       not pigtailed                   
Romex      BX    Conduit
Condition:    A     F    P       replace     repair      pigtail     improperly wired
Outlets and Fixtures:      2       3    prong outlets       properly/improperly grounded         properly/improperly polarized     
Condition:    A     F    P    replace     repair

Smoke Detectors:    None present   
Location:   _______________________________________ _   hard wired    battery         
   operating       not operating                             condition:   A       F       P       replace        older
   operating       not operating                condition:   A       F       P       replace        older
   operating       not operating                condition:   A       F       P       replace        older
C.O. Detector:           None noted   
   operating       not operating       replace battery      condition:   A       F       P       replace        older
Alarm System:      Wireless      central monitoring      hard wired      motion sensors   tested   not tested
Brand: _____________________________      controller located: ___________________________________     

KITCHEN AND APPLIANCES

Cabinets:      Plastic laminate       wood          wood  pulls        shelves
Condition:      A     F     P    replace   doors/drawers need correction/adjustment
Countertops:     Plastic laminate      wood       tile             
Condition:      A    F      P    replace   regrout    stains     chips     delaminating
Sink:    Single      double       cast iron      aluminum      enamel        stainless steel       
Condition:      A    F      P      replace          stains       chips     
Faucet:      Condition:    A     F     P      replace        leaks:   Location:________________   no leaks   
Sprayer :   Condition:    A     F     P      replace        leaks:   Location:________________   no leaks
Trap:       copper          plastic          Condition:  A    F      P       replace      leaks: ____________________    no leaks
Dishwasher:  Brand/model:   _______________________________________ __________     Tested:  with dishes     without dishes
Age:    N    M    O           Condition:  A    F      P       replace      repair
Location of leak: __________________________      no leaks   seal at countertop

Range/Oven:    Fuel:   gas   propane    electric            Age:   N     M     O             Brand/model__________________________
Range:   2     4    6    element  burner    grill
match light       electric start             All burners burn        All elements heat      _________ not operating     repair
Oven:   Seals and springs         A       F      P       replace      Burns properly      All elements heat      not operating     repair
Condition:     A       F      P       replace

Cooktop:   Brand: ________________________________   Age:  N     M     O
Fuel:    gas    propane    electric         2       4    elements     burners       grill
match light      electric start        all burners burn     all elements heat         __________ not operating     repair
Condition:     A       F     P        replace
Ventilation:      range hood       wall fan      exhaust fan        ductless      vented to exterior      
brand/model ___________________________________   Condition:   A       F       P      replace       repair
Refrigerator:        Brand/model  ________________________________         frost free   
Age:   N     M      O          Door seals:     A      F      P     replace
Condition:     A      F        P       replace         not plugged
ice maker     in-door ice and water            Condition:    A      F      P      not operating      repair
Floor Covering:    Resilient tile      vinyl sheet goods      wood      ceramic tile     marble      vinyl tile        carpeting
Condition:    A      F       P     replace    refinish        stains       cracks      lifting      holes     regrout     
Other Appliances:   
type:         brand:          model      age      condition

Clothes Washer:     with   without clothes        Age:   N    M     O 
Brand/model _______________________________________ ______     Location:   __________________________
Location of leak _____________________________________      no leaks
Condition:   A      F       P      replace      repair

Clothes Dryer:    with   without clothes         Age:   N     M     O      Fuel:    electric   gas      propane
Brand/model___________________________________________   Location:   __________________________
Condition:   A     F      P      replace        repair       sufficient heat
Vented to outside     Y      N

KITCHEN AND APPLIANCES

INTERIOR

Floors:        hardwood     softwood    plywood    slab        not visible due to coverings
Coverings:    wall-to-wall carpet        slate          vinyl          tiles      sheetgoods
Condition:    A    F       P          replace    refinish       sand       sagging       fairly level      soft spots

Walls:   Plaster on: gypsum lath    wood lath          masonry     drywall   
Coverings:   wood           wood paneling        wall paper      paint          tile        wall boards
Condition:   A     F       P         fairly plumb      nail pops        holes          peeling    cracks      unfinished     
Water staining:    test dry       test  wet      Location:  _______________________________________ __

Ceilings:     Plaster on:  gypsum lath      wood lath           drywall      wood     
Coverings:     Tile      drop ceiling tiles        wood
Condition:    A    F     P         fair level   nail pops        holes       peeling       cracks        unfinished
Water staining:    test dry       test  wet      Location:  _______________________________________ __

Stairs:   to upper level   Location: _______________________________________ _________________
wood        metal         spiral       floating    carpeted treads         Condition:   A    F     P      replace    incorrect rise
railing:     metal      wood    no railing       add railing      Condition:  A    F     P      replace     secure       resecure       

to lower level      Location: _______________________________________ _________________
wood        metal         spiral       floating     carpeted treads          Condition:   A    F    P      replace        incorrect rise
railing:     metal      wood    no railing        add railing      Condition:   A    F    P      replace     secure      resecure
Fireplace/Stove:   Brick    stone     cast iron      metal pre-fab      wood insert stove       coal burning      wood burning
exterior:   A    F     P      cracks    repoint         hearth:    A     F     P     cracks     repair   
interior:    A   F      P     cracks     repoint          mantle:    A    F     P     cracks     repair
damper:       present        not present      condition:    A      F       P       replace     repair
Doors (interior):     wood hollow core door     wood   solid wood       recessed panel        louvered       bi-fold metal/wood
   Condition:     A      F      P      replace          adjustment     trimming
Door to boiler room:       metal clad       wood     solid wood       louvered         bi-fold metal/wood       metal fire door       
Condition:     A      F       P     replace   install fire door      adjustment     trimming
Door to garage from house:      metal clad        wood    solid wood     louvered       bi-fold metal/wood        metal fire-proof   
Condition:    A       F       P      replace   install fire door       adjustment    trimming
Windows:  single hung:      wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A      F      P    repair      replace
    double  hung:   wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A      F      P    repair      replace       casement:      wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A      F      P    repair      replace   
    awning:      wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A      F      P    repair      replace   
    sliding:      wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A      F      P    repair      replace   
    hopper:      wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A      F      P    repair      replace
 picture window         wood       metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A      F      P    repair      replace   
    jalousie      wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane         A      F      P    repair      replace

ATTIC

Access:     stairs      pulldown stairs   condition:    A    F     P     too short     repair    replace   
scuttlehole      door        knee wall         Location: _________________________        ladder required to enter.         
access:    small       adequate        no access       
Moisture stains:      Location: _________________________      past       present         rusted nailheads         none noted
Storage space:      not floored       partially floored         fully floored      stored items:      many      few      none
Insulation:      Fiberglass      wool    cellulose     mats      loose            average inches _______________     
installed in:  rafters     floor    upside down                  add        adequate      replace     remove from vents
Ventilation:    windows      attic fan      through house fan      louvers      ridge vent     soffit vent      gable end vent       roof vent
Condition:       A    F     P       replace     repair     broken        missing      torn screen        adequate      inadequate   

ROOFING

Location:   Location:    ___________________________   entire roof        layers:   1    2      more   
asphalt composition shingle        architectural type       3-tab   roll roofing
Age:    N    M     O          Life expectancy: near    at end     beyond end       
Condition:   A     F     P     reshingle      patches     curling      cupping     missing    torn     missing particulate
Reshingle within ____________________ years

Location:    ___________________________   entire roof        layers:   1    2      more   
asphalt composition shingle        architectural type         3-tab        roll roofing
Age:    N    M     O          Life expectancy: near     at end    beyond end       
Condition:   A     F     P     reshingle      patches     curling      cupping     missing    torn     missing particulate

Location:    ___________________________   entire roof        layers:   1    2      more   
asphalt composition shingle    architectural type              3-tab   roll roofing
Age:    N    M     O         Life expectancy:  near     at end   beyond end         

sheathing needs replacement   sheathing soft     sagging     buckling    soft spots
How observed:    walked roof       ground      binoculars     ladder        _________%   snow covered

Roof Leaks:   location :_______________________________________ ________________        No leaks
Flashing:    aluminum      galvanized      copper      lead        plastic       rubber      unable to view
Condition:    A     F     P       replace       tar covering           
Retar/recaulk  flashing   location: _______________________________________ __________
Gutters and Downspouts:       aluminum      galvanized      copper      vinyl      wood        none      add
Condition:    A    F     P       replace      divert downspouts       secure       resecure: ______________________________________     

EXTERIOR
Exterior Doors:     
Front door :    Insulated metal    wood      double door     frenchwood    side lights         Condition:   A    F     P     replace    adjus
          Storm door:     aluminum     wood      vinyl                                              Condition:   A    F     P     replace    adjust
Side door:       Insulated metal     wood      double door     frenchwood     glass slider   Condition:    A    F     P     replace    adjust
      single pane      double pane
     Storm door:     aluminum     wood      vinyl                       Condition:    A    F     P     replace    adjust
Back door :     Insulated metal      wood      double door    frenchwood     glass slider   Condition:   A    F     P     replace     adjust   
      single pane      double pane
         Storm door:     aluminum     wood     vinyl                                  Condition:   A    F     P     replace     adjust
Garage door to exterior:       insulated metal     wood    vinyl                      Condition:    A   F     P     replace     adjust
Door to basement:    Bilco    metal       wood                      Condition:    A   F     P     replace
Windows: single hung:   wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A     F      P      repair      replace
double  hung:   wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A     F      P      repair      replace      casement:      wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A     F      P      repair      replace      
awning:      wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A     F      P      repair      replace   
   sliding:      wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A     F      P      repair      replace   
   hopper:      wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A     F      P      repair      replace
picture window          wood      metal     vinyl     insulated glass     single pane         A      F     P      repair      replace   
   jalousie       wood     metal      vinyl     insulated glass     single pane        A      F     P      repair      replace

Storm windows:    metal      vinyl         A    F    P      replace     remove caulking      
Screens:                 metal     vinyl          A    F    P      replace
_______________________________________ _______________________________________ _________________________
Roof windows/Skylights:       Location:   ______________________________________    fixed      operable
Condition:     A    F      P     replace       moisture stains   condensation       leaks      operating properly
            Location:   ______________________________________    fixed      operable
Condition:     A    F      P     replace       moisture stains   condensation       leaks      operating properly
Exterior Wall Covering:
Front:     vinyl      cedar    asbestos     aluminum    pressboard     clapboard    shingle     brick     stucco     board & batton   
Vertical V-groove   T1-11 wall paneling     
Condition:  A    F      P     replace   refasten     cracked     broken      weathered     
Sides:    vinyl      cedar    asbestos     aluminum     pressboard     clapboard    shingle       brick    stucco    board & batton   
Vertical V-groove       T1-11 wall paneling.   
   Condition:  A     F     P     replace   refasten     cracked     broken      weathered
Back:    vinyl      cedar    asbestos    aluminum    pressboard     clapboard    shingle      brick    stucco     board & batton   
Vertical V-groove       T1-11 wall paneling.   
   Condition:  A     F     P     replace   refasten     cracked     broken      weathered
Exterior Trim:      Soffit,  Fascia,  Eaves:   wood     vinyl      aluminum      unable to view
condition:    A     F      P       replace     repair         water rot    insect damage    weather  damage   
Location of damage:    _______________________________________ ___
Stairs:   Location: _______________________________________ _________   to basement
concrete   wood        metal         spiral       floating    carpeted treads           Condition:   A    F     P      replace     incorrect rise
railing:     metal      wood    no railing      install railing                  Condition:   A    F     P      replace     secure       resecure       
Chimney:      brick      metal       wood      stone     concrete          concrete block   
Condition:      A     F      P     replace      repair      cracked crown           repoint  ___________________________
Chase:    Masonite      Wood      Vinyl        Metal    Condition:     A     F     P     replace      repair
Flue liner:      ceramic     metal          condition:    A     F     P      replace      remove T.V. antenna        Add chimney cap
Gaps:    distance between house and chimney ____________________________

brick      metal       wood      stone      concrete    concrete block     
Condition:    A      F      P    replace      cracked crown           repoint  ___________________________
Chase:    Masonite   Wood     Vinyl         Metal   Condition:      A     F    P     replace     repair
Flue liner:    ceramic     metal           condition:     A      F     P     replace      remove T.V. antenna       Add chimney cap
Gaps:     distance between house and chimney ____________________________

EXTERIOR

Garage/Carport:    garage     carport      attached      detached    one bay   one 1/2 bay     two bay     three bay     four bay
converted to living space            Condition:     A     F     P      replace      repair      
Bay Door:     one     two      there      four        vinyl      metal      wood     fiberglass   Condition:     A     F     P      replace   
automatic door operator:    condition:    A    F     P     replace         operating:   properly    improperly    does not reverse
____________% filled with stored items      not inspected __________________________________

detached garage:
exterior wall covering:  _____________________________________      condition:    A     F     P
roofing:  _______________________________________ __________      condition:     A    F     P
Porch:      floor:      wood       concrete      other: ________________________________    painted      stained
Location:  _______________________________________ ________________
Condition:  A     F      P      replace     secure      fairly level       cracks    holes    caulking
Breezeway: floor:      wood       concrete      other: ________________________________    painted      stained
Location:  _______________________________________ ________________      screened     other:____________________
Condition:  A     F      P      replace     secure      fairly level       cracks    holes    caulking