What's 99 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, and six grand?

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Re: What's 99 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, and six grand?
« Reply #40 on: 27 Feb 2013, 12:02 am »
I guess you have to hear this set up to appreciate it, but IMO it's plug ugly compared to the lower cost Jazz Module.

Guess I should have got a pair of JMs when they were available.

Yeah, the Jazz Modules were probably my best-looking speaker.  Thanks for reminding me that paying attention to aesthetics matters.

fakamada

« Reply #41 on: 12 Jan 2014, 03:18 pm »
Hi, Duke

I'd like to experiment with rear fireing tweeters. Can you share some details about it's response?
I'm using SEOS 12 on front. As far as I understand you're using back tweeter to fill some dips in vertical power respose. Therefore it would be perfect to use it only above 3khz? Am I right?
What shape of response is recommended? Rather flat? Or rather like typical supertweeter with emphasis on highest octave?

Regards,
     Kuba, Poland

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #42 on: 15 Jan 2014, 06:50 pm »
Hi, Duke

I'd like to experiment with rear fireing tweeters. Can you share some details about it's response?
I'm using SEOS 12 on front. As far as I understand you're using back tweeter to fill some dips in vertical power respose. Therefore it would be perfect to use it only above 3khz? Am I right?
What shape of response is recommended? Rather flat? Or rather like typical supertweeter with emphasis on highest octave?

Regards,
     Kuba, Poland

Hi Kuba,

The SEOS 12 is very nice. 

On the rear-firing tweeter, we mainly care about its power response; we don't hear its on-axis response.  We want the power response of the rear-firing tweeer to complement (or compensate for) the power response of the SEOS.   So we'd want the power response to fall off below 3 kHz or so, as you describe. 

I use a horn-loaded prosound tweeter for the rear-firing tweeter in the Planetarium Delta, and then add a fair amount of series resistance to pad it down - we don't want it to be too loud.  The reason I don't use a dome tweeter is, it's running in parallel with the main compression driver, and an un-padded dome tweeter would drop the impedance down too low.   Being able to add series resistance to the rear-firing tweet helps keep the impedance curve tube-friendly - obviously this is probably not as important if you're not using a tube amp. 

By the way, your English is excellent.

Duke

fakamada

« Reply #43 on: 17 Jan 2014, 12:06 pm »
Thanks Duke for your reply. I'll try to measure back tweeters at different angles and estimate their power response. About efficiency and padding down. I'v managed to damp it the same way. It's impedance is so high that it doesn't have influence on fronts. Connected or not. As you wrote that is a very big asset because you can shape it's response independently from the front.

As for my English - thank's - maybe those endless hours spent wandering around audio forums are not such a waste of time at all :)

fakamada

« Reply #44 on: 17 Jan 2014, 12:07 pm »
Or maybe I'll just try to measure reflected sound only. That could work.