Classical music gift (on vinyl) - For a gift

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Classical music gift (on vinyl) - For a gift
« on: 11 Jun 2009, 12:31 pm »
Hey guys,

I have an uncle who is retiring very soon.  I would like to get him one or two recordings on vinyl, of classical music, as a gift.  I know very little about classical music so I would like your help please. 

I have discussed his music collection with him in the past and he seems to really enjoy classical music.  I brought up how Mussorgsky "Pictures at an Exhibition" captures me each time I listen to it.  He conveyed similar interests for Mussorgsky and various other composers but all the names slip my mind.

Could I please have one or two recommendations of vinyl pressings that I could give him has a gift.  I am not sure if he is an audiophile but he has an extremely modest system.  He is the world's stingiest human being, without a doubt.

GDeering

Re: Classical music gift (on vinyl) - For a gift
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:08 pm »
How are you going to buy the LPs? Remastered/repressed (hmm....) LPs are expensive.  So I assume you are going to look for used LPs.

Maybe a manual record cleaning system would be more useful.

There are a lot of records out there.  He probably has a few.  See if he has a recording of Holst's Planets, that always impresses.   Otherewise you'll just have to pick a great composer and find some recordings.   Since I don't know what you are likely to find, it's hard to recommend anything.  If you find a stash of RCA shaded dogs (stereo) you'd make him happy, good LPs and good performances (without going into detail......). 

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2012, 06:40 pm »
Fast forward 2 years I asked my uncle for classical music advise.  I heard a Mahler Symphony #2 that really impressed me.  I asked him for his favorite he has heard. 

He wrote me a letter with his favorite classical vinyl recordings and CD soundtracks.  I don't think he purchases music anymore.  He is the most frugal man I have ever met.  Times 10 frugal.  I would like to buy for him a NEW record.  Could anyone suggest an awesome sounding classical piece done in recent past?

I hope my question was not too open ended.  Thanks in advance for helping.

I should add that he likes large orchestral pieces.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2012, 07:02 pm »
If he likes Mahler, then any of the recordings of Karajan doing Mahler would be a good option.  If memory serves, he recorded the 5th, the 6th, and the 9th.  I have the CD versions and all 3 performances are incredibly good.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2012, 07:21 pm »
Thanks Tyson.  Do you know where I can purchase these on vinyl?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2012, 07:39 pm »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2012, 07:53 pm »
If you don't mind used (near mint to vg++) I have tons of classical LPs you can have for the cost of shipping.  I have many dupes.  Just PM me with what you want. 

GDeering

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2012, 10:23 pm »
If you don't mind used (near mint to vg++) I have tons of classical LPs you can have for the cost of shipping.  I have many dupes.  Just PM me with what you want.

woodsyi  now you are going to start the deluge, who would not want records! Give away the Mahler, I'll take the Bach and chamber works!

For Mahler on records I'd take Ancerl in #one (Haitink too) and Kubelik in most of the others.  I am not a great Bernstein fan in Mahler.  I am not a Karajan fan, in most cases, so I have not given his Mahler a try.  I feel some of his Bruckner is good, so it might be worth a try.  Other people love Solti, but again I stay clear.  Lorin Maazel’s Mahler is not the best interpretation  but they are all with the Vienna Philharmonic and #4 has a beautiful Viennese Romantic feeling and Kathleen Battle in the last movement.  I wish I could recommend Bruno Walter, who was a colleague of Mahler’s and premièred three of his works, but out side of a great old recording of the 5th (Columbia in the early 50’s?) I can’t.  maybe I should give them another chance, but I am not in a Mahler frame of mind currently.

Gregg

Art_Chicago

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2012, 04:32 am »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TCHAIKOVSKY-SPECTACULAR-Overture-1812-Andre-Previn-MFSL-Mobile-Fidelity-/160921286838?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2577a7f8b6

I would consider something from MoFi Sound Lab, even used. I have this LP, and the sound quality is beyond expectations.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2012, 05:14 am »
woodsyi  now you are going to start the deluge, who would not want records! Give away the Mahler, I'll take the Bach and chamber works!

Gregg

Not a problem.  'Tis the season to be jolly and giving.  Give me a preference for composer or genre of classical music and I will send you the best of my dupes/discards.  I tend to hoard most vocal stuff like opera, cantata and choral music as well as symphonic music.  Thus I will keep many recording of the same work but I am not as keen on baroque/chamber.  I may only keep one.  I will give out dupes and discards that are in good shape to anyone willing to pay for shipping.  Just PM me with your preference. 

usp1

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2012, 03:26 pm »
Not a problem.  'Tis the season to be jolly and giving.  Give me a preference for composer or genre of classical music and I will send you the best of my dupes/discards.  I tend to hoard most vocal stuff like opera, cantata and choral music as well as symphonic music.  Thus I will keep many recording of the same work but I am not as keen on baroque/chamber.  I may only keep one.  I will give out dupes and discards that are in good shape to anyone willing to pay for shipping.  Just PM me with your preference.

Sent you a PM

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2012, 03:42 pm »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2012, 02:24 pm »
I am getting there.  I need the weekend to look over the records.