RMAF 2012 Pics and Sporadic Brutally Honest Commentary

Rclark

Re: RMAF 2012 Pics and Sporadic Brutally Honest Commentary
« Reply #80 on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:06 am »
They have had about 4 firmware upgrades since Feb this year and have solved many issues. When it was released, Toslink was only at 24/48. When I spoke with the lead designer, he told me that 24/192 was not the most urgent priority, but they would get around to it. He warned me that sound quality will not be increased (due to everything being upsampled to 6.1mhz anyway) , but I reminded him that some of us have 24/192 that we want to input natively in the digital domain, and kept digital until the DAC conversion stage.

The key to the device is their proprietary algorithm which seems to best all the competitors. They also do NOT price outrageously.

I really do expect them to have asynch. USB at 24/192 by year say Jan 2013 latest.

I'm doing that one too, middle of Nov, I'm ordering it. Had I been driving in traffic while someone read me the review and features list I'd have probably wrecked (so cool!), and 12V battery capable too.

Rodge827 here already has one and loves it, sold of much of his source gear. Seems to be a pretty revolutionary little box.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #81 on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:18 am »
Hi DaveC113,

I went with the Super 3T's (the smallest).  I like your suggestion of array-ing Omega drivers.  (The Pi Speakers 4pi is an outrageous bargain in my mind, but of course you'd need to hear it first so maybe impractical.)

GT Audio Works

« Reply #82 on: 18 Oct 2012, 02:21 am »
GT audio works I once in a TAD room attempted to have "santana woodstock soul sacrifice woodstock 1969" played and as soon as the exhibitor heard it he took it out giving it back to me. Yes it is a poor recording but a  great  performance I think.
Yes I agree, I had a couple of guys ask me to put on a disc they brought.."Hocus Pocus" by Focus...I was not too sure how this was gonna work out ...raging guitars and yodeling?? Well am I glad they did...IT ROCKED !!  They were playing their air guitars and we were having a ball !! it was not the recording but the performance that came thru.  Greg

dminches

« Reply #83 on: 18 Oct 2012, 12:16 pm »
I was waiting for this particular poor sounding demo track to finish when I turn around and see this reviewer sitting in the back of my room..The disc finishes and I scramble for one of my trusty tracks only to see said reviewer walking out of my room. Timing is everything...and the timing could not have been worse.  This is the danger of swimming past the lifeguards into open waters..so be it.  People saw I had enough confidence in my product to put it out there no strings attached.. and the upside was , I got turned on to some great tunes ! Maybe the next time you get refused a demo..ask if they supply a list of authorized tunes to go with their speakers!     Greg    GT Audio Works

Greg, I would be equally disappointed if that happened to me.

Maybe the solution is to post specific times for when people can demo their own music.  Maybe even have a sign up sheet.  That would be the best of both worlds.  You can control most of the time and music selections but allow people who are really interested in your equipment to hear their own stuff.  I know we don't like to be on a schedule at shows but if someone is that interested they will accommodate your approach.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #84 on: 18 Oct 2012, 02:00 pm »

Maybe the solution is to post specific times for when people can demo their own music.  Maybe even have a sign up sheet.  That would be the best of both worlds.  You can control most of the time and music selections but allow people who are really interested in your equipment to hear their own stuff.  I know we don't like to be on a schedule at shows but if someone is that interested they will accommodate your approach.

IMO, this is one of the worst ideas I have heard. Talk about being consumer and potential customer unfriendly. I'll bet most of us have music we love, but is poorly recorded. I know I do (some U2 albums come to mind). Most of us are not going to listen to only superior recorded music and would like to hear what the music we listen to sounds like. My first RMAF was 2005 and my primary mission was to find new speakers to replace my B & W's. I brought a couple of CDs with music I like and am familiar with (plus a couple of records, although there wasn't as much vinyl playback then). Some of the songs were U2 songs that were not especially well recorded, but they were songs I love and know in my sleep. It took me two shows to finally settle on the Daedalus speakers. Most of the rooms would let me play a couple of tracks. If a room didn't, I eliminated the speakers in that room from consideration. If I was going to spend 4 figures on speakers, I wanted to hear music I am familiar with, not some boring to me orchestral piece or gawd awful jazz singer I never listen to. It is easier for me to evaluate a system, speakers, etc. when it is playing music I am familiar with no matter how well or poorly recorded it is. When an exhibitor wants to control the music exclusively, I wonder if they have something to hide. :scratch:

Laura

dminches

« Reply #85 on: 18 Oct 2012, 02:16 pm »
IMO, this is one of the worst ideas I have heard. Talk about being consumer and potential customer unfriendly. I'll bet most of us have music we love, but is poorly recorded. I know I do (some U2 albums come to mind). Most of us are not going to listen to only superior recorded music and would like to hear what the music we listen to sounds like. My first RMAF was 2005 and my primary mission was to find new speakers to replace my B & W's. I brought a couple of CDs with music I like and am familiar with (plus a couple of records, although there wasn't as much vinyl playback then). Some of the songs were U2 songs that were not especially well recorded, but they were songs I love and know in my sleep. It took me two shows to finally settle on the Daedalus speakers. Most of the rooms would let me play a couple of tracks. If a room didn't, I eliminated the speakers in that room from consideration. If I was going to spend 4 figures on speakers, I wanted to hear music I am familiar with, not some boring to me orchestral piece or gawd awful jazz singer I never listen to. It is easier for me to evaluate a system, speakers, etc. when it is playing music I am familiar with no matter how well or poorly recorded it is. When an exhibitor wants to control the music exclusively, I wonder if they have something to hide. :scratch:

Laura

Laura, who is suggesting that you listen to speakers for a purchasing decision using someone else's music.  Maybe you didn't read my post.  Most of the people listening to music in the various rooms are not there to make a purchase.  We would all like to hear our own music.  However, if I walk into a room a hear music playing that I do not like I will walk out.  How does that help a vendor display his equipment?

wisnon

« Reply #86 on: 18 Oct 2012, 02:41 pm »
I'm doing that one too, middle of Nov, I'm ordering it. Had I been driving in traffic while someone read me the review and features list I'd have probably wrecked (so cool!), and 12V battery capable too.

Rodge827 here already has one and loves it, sold of much of his source gear. Seems to be a pretty revolutionary little box.

I hear that there is a positive review of it in Nov Sterophile mag.

Don_S

« Reply #87 on: 18 Oct 2012, 03:35 pm »
 :guitar: :banana piano:

Funny. That is a great anecdote. Music and equipment that evoked an emotional response. Beats the heck out of safe and bland. Congratulations on taking the risk.  :thumb:

Yes I agree, I had a couple of guys ask me to put on a disc they brought.."Hocus Pocus" by Focus...I was not too sure how this was gonna work out ...raging guitars and yodeling?? Well am I glad they did...IT ROCKED !!  They were playing their air guitars and we were having a ball !! it was not the recording but the performance that came thru.  Greg

GT Audio Works

« Reply #88 on: 18 Oct 2012, 06:52 pm »

Your not the first to suggest such an approach...and I considered it for the next event. But after I got over the initial shock of that situation I realized if someone would dismiss my speaker on the word of one persons evaluation,,chances are they were not really interested in the first place. Besides.. the folks that were interested made time for return visits early or late in the day when things calmed down..some. And brought a wider variety of material to demo.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #89 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:01 pm »
:guitar: :banana piano:

Funny. That is a great anecdote. Music and equipment that evoked an emotional response. Beats the heck out of safe and bland. Congratulations on taking the risk.  :thumb:
Thanks, I really had a ball at that show and plan to be back next year. Its a learning process like anything else.. yes there are things I will do differently...Like bring a lot more CD's !!

GT Audio Works

« Reply #90 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:08 pm »

Laura
I know what you mean Laura..there was a room I passed many times that weekend ,, NO Names...BIG BUCK system..drooled over by the mags. My wife 's comment said it best. " Are they ever gonna play anything that isn't gonna put me to sleep ??!!"

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #91 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:13 pm »
Unless and until you become a vendor; you wouldn't understand all the things involved in setting up the room, testing your setup, and trying your best to represent your products plus trying even harder to satisfy every single person walking through your door.

Overall, you just can't make everybody happy so as long as you tried your best...that's good enough. :)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #92 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:48 pm »
Unless and until you become a vendor; you wouldn't understand all the things involved in setting up the room, testing your setup, and trying your best to represent your products plus trying even harder to satisfy every single person walking through your door.

Overall, you just can't make everybody happy so as long as you tried your best...that's good enough. :)

Well said Hugh.  :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #93 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:14 pm »

Until you train and become a chef you won't know everything that it takes to cook a meal. Although, you still know if it tastes bad...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #94 on: 19 Oct 2012, 05:34 pm »
I won a drawing at RMAF for Feastrex Urushi capacitors!

I will try them in my el34 SET amp in place of Mundorf silver/oil....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/feastrex/220954-rmaf-2012-free-urushi-caps.html

vinyl_lady

« Reply #95 on: 20 Oct 2012, 03:18 am »
Laura, who is suggesting that you listen to speakers for a purchasing decision using someone else's music.  Maybe you didn't read my post.  Most of the people listening to music in the various rooms are not there to make a purchase.  We would all like to hear our own music.  However, if I walk into a room a hear music playing that I do not like I will walk out.  How does that help a vendor display his equipment?
I did read your post and I interpreted it as advocating for an exhibitor's right to control the music being played. As I said, I think that is a bad idea but maybe I misinterpreted what you were saying. When I'm going room to room at a show as large as RMAF, I'm not likely to come back if I'm told I can't play the music with which I'm familiar when I'm in the room. It is the only way I can evaluate the system and decide if there is some piece of equipment in the room I might be interested in purchasing. If I know the exhibtor will play the music I brought with me, I am likely to stay in the room until it is my turn, even if I don't like some of the music being played. FWIW, I find that many exhibitors pick music that causes me to be unexcited about the room, not enter the room, or to walk out.

Laura

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #96 on: 20 Oct 2012, 08:53 am »
Hi DaveC113,

I went with the Super 3T's (the smallest).  I like your suggestion of array-ing Omega drivers.  (The Pi Speakers 4pi is an outrageous bargain in my mind, but of course you'd need to hear it first so maybe impractical.)

Please post your impressions of the Omegas (sorry if you already did, I will go to their circle later).  I've heard the 4 Pi, it's apples versus oranges (in many ways) compared to Omega.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #97 on: 20 Oct 2012, 04:41 pm »
Cool, thanks. I liked both rooms, I got to play my test tracks on the Hornings... they were excellent, maybe missing a tiny bit of high end sparkle. Still far better than 99% of speakers with dome tweeters.
i heard the larger horning eufrodite's at the caf this past summer, and they were one of my two fave's at that show.  (the others being the volti vittora's - were these shown at rmaf?)  the eufrodite's were not missing anything.  but then, being in my mid 50's, mebbe it is i that is missing that tiny bit of high end sparkle?   :lol:

excellent posts/pics/etc - thanks!   :thumb:

doug s.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #98 on: 20 Oct 2012, 04:53 pm »
i heard the larger horning eufrodite's at the caf this past summer, and they were one of my two fave's at that show.  (the others being the volti vittora's - were these shown at rmaf?)  the eufrodite's were not missing anything.  but then, being in my mid 50's, mebbe it is i that is missing that tiny bit of high end sparkle?   :lol:

excellent posts/pics/etc - thanks!   :thumb:

doug s.

Lol, maybe... I'm 38 and haven't had my hearing tested but I haven't abused my ears that much. The Hornings were definitely great speakers but at $15k I couldn't afford them used...  :evil:  I do think the freq response is up to 20k, but rolled off at the high end...

The Voltis were very good but the sound at RMAF needed work. They had a sub in the corner that didn't integrate with the main speakers that well and the bass and midrange horns did NOT blend seamlessly. There was a Baritone Sax on one of my test tracks and the sax sounded more like 2 instruments. A lot of this could be room acoustics and subwoofer placement. The sub placement was especially poor.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #99 on: 20 Oct 2012, 05:03 pm »
Lol, maybe... I'm 38 and haven't had my hearing tested but I haven't abused my ears that much. The Hornings were definitely great speakers but at $15k I couldn't afford them used...  :evil:  I do think the freq response is up to 20k, but rolled off at the high end...

The Voltis were very good but the sound at RMAF needed work. They had a sub in the corner that didn't integrate with the main speakers that well and the bass and midrange horns did NOT blend seamlessly. There was a Baritone Sax on one of my test tracks and the sax sounded more like 2 instruments. A lot of this could be room acoustics and subwoofer placement. The sub placement was especially poor.
ya, the eufrodites are ~$24k - ouch!  the volti's are much more reasonable, at ~1/2 the price.  if $12k can be considered reasonable, haha!   but who knows, some day, maybe - the speakers i am presently listening to retailed for $9400, tho i paid a small fraction of that for them.

regarding volti set-up, those guys really need to work on that.  it was dumb luck that they sounded good at caf - everything did blend seamlessly, but, like at rmaf, there was no consideration of placement in the room, and no room treatments.  i can only imagine how good they would sound w/proper set-up...

doug s.