WTB: mid-fi stereo amp

Will2

WTB: mid-fi stereo amp
« on: 17 Jun 2012, 09:55 pm »
Hi all.  I'm looking for a stereo amp to use in a system that has some pretty good components in it but is currently only being used for DVD, TV and Video Game duties.  I have tube amps in place at the moment but they have developed a loud hum that is driving me crazy and seeing as I live in Bermuda I can't ship them back to get attended to just yet. 

Ideally it would fit this bill:
  • Very reliable
  • Not much power needed - running 96db speakers
  • Probably Solid State
  • Not Heavy (need to bring it back on the plane in a suitcase)
  • Needs to arrive in Boston on or before Friday June 22nd
  • Cost under $1000 shipped

Offers or links to current offers here or elsewhere would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Will

bummrush

Re: WTB: mid-fi stereo amp
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2012, 09:58 pm »
Buy the new Rega int.

Will2

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2012, 10:05 pm »

Will2

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2012, 10:09 pm »
Buy the new Rega int.

Thanks ..... which one is that exactly?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2012, 10:16 pm »
How many watts are you looking for?

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2012, 10:17 pm »
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/upa500

5 year warrantee, on sale now, gets you five solid channels too if you plan on expanding.

Will2

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2012, 10:39 pm »
How many watts are you looking for?
Not much - running 98db efficiency speakers - so quiet operation is much more important.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2012, 11:44 pm »
Rega Brio-R is likely the integrated referred to in an earlier post.

How much do you want spend?

Will2

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2012, 11:53 pm »
Rega Brio-R is likely the integrated referred to in an earlier post.

How much do you want spend?
  Under $1000 shipped

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2012, 12:05 am »
Here's a nice one (from a very reputable seller :wink:) right here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107201.0

Yes, I am the seller.

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2012, 02:09 am »
  Under $1000 shipped

Do you want an integrated or a power amp? The following recommendations are integrated amplifiers:

The Rega lists for $900 so it should not be a problem. I think the Audio Lab in Cambridge is a Rega dealer so it should be an easy purchase if that's what you want to get.

Another choice would be a used Bel Canto Integrated but I think that will be pushing on the $1K limit.

You could try to find a Cyrus integrated but I don't know if they are sold in the states.

I don't know if a headphone amplifier would give you enough juice for your 96dB speakers but if it would then your choices open up tremendously.

If you want to go cheap there's an Emotiva unit for $200.

If you can fit a slim full sized unit in your luggage head over to www.audioadvisor.com and search for integrated amplifiers. That will give you a good representation of what's out there.

If you want a small power amplifier that one is tougher. Bel Canto has a couple but I don' know the price point.

Will2

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2012, 02:13 am »
Do you want an integrated or a power amp? The following recommendations are integrated amplifiers:

The Rega lists for $900 so it should not be a problem. I think the Audio Lab in Cambridge is a Rega dealer so it should be an easy purchase if that's what you want to get.

Another choice would be a used Bel Canto Integrated but I think that will be pushing on the $1K limit.

You could try to find a Cyrus integrated but I don't know if they are sold in the states.

I don't know if a headphone amplifier would give you enough juice for your 96dB speakers but if it would then your choices open up tremendously.

If you want to go cheap there's an Emotiva unit for $200.

If you can fit a slim full sized unit in your luggage head over to www.audioadvisor.com and search for integrated amplifiers. That will give you a good representation of what's out there.

If you want a small power amplifier that one is tougher. Bel Canto has a couple but I don' know the price point.

Thanks - I think a power amp would be more cost effective - I have a processor and pre in place already.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2012, 03:28 am »
I will soon have a clean Parasound HCA 1000A amp for sale.  Not sure what shipping to Bermuda is, but I am sure $295 will cover amp and shipping.
Does decent pushing my Maggies by itself.

Sorry.  Didn't see the Boston "ship to"  And i'll need it for a few more weeks.

totoro

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2012, 04:50 am »
I live in Brookline and have a McCormack dna .5 sitting in a closet that you could have for pretty cheap (not interested in shipping, but if you come and get it, that would be cool). PM me if you're interested.