New to town .... and need some local experts

Will2

New to town .... and need some local experts
« on: 7 May 2012, 12:23 am »
Hi all.  We're in the process of buying a place up in Boston and I need some help with the A/V, lighting, security and video systems in the house.  There's a Crestron system in place that I'm guessing is about 6 years old.  The owner if offering to sell the whole bang-shoot for $35,000 but I have no idea what components are in the system and whether it is stuff I could or would want to replace or not.

I'm thinking I need a reliable and trusted local expert who can look it over with me and work on a plan.  Any ideas?

Thanks
Will

Doublej

Re: New to town .... and need some local experts
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2012, 02:35 am »
The seller should be able to provide you with an equipment list from the installer. Post it here and people will tell you if it's good stuff or not.

Remember in technology 6 year old gear is 1-2 generations old and typically worth only a small fraction of the original purchase price. The amplifiers and speakers may hold their value better than the rest of the lot.

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2012, 12:12 pm »
A) Welcome to the area.
B) The real question is if you are financing your home do you really want to pay interest on old AV equipment?

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2012, 12:16 pm »
The house is $35k cheaper without the "A/V, lighting, security and video systems"? I'd take the discount in a second.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2012, 02:43 pm »
Ask the seller to un-install all of it and watch the price drop fast!    :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2012, 03:34 pm »
All good advice given so far.

Without the list of equipment, it is impossible to say if it is a good deal or not.  Generally speaking, you should be paying a very low price on used equipment.

It will be nice to have you in the area Will.  Good luck on the purchase.

George

Will2

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2012, 05:20 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys.  That's what I love about this place, essentially a group of people wanting to share an interest, learn something and hopefully help someone else out.  Some very sage advice here - thanks.

I'll keep you up to speed with my progress but I do think I'm going to need someone at some time to help me with a lighting and security system (non-audiophile stuff), likely a Crestron.  Anybody know anyone I can trust?

Cheers
Will