refrigerator noise reduction

xsb7244

refrigerator noise reduction
« on: 31 Jan 2012, 06:24 pm »
This device was talked about in the past.  Will we ever see it as a product?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: refrigerator noise reduction
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2012, 08:42 pm »
Probably not as a product per se.  My business has evolved into more of a custom shop.  I do not have the capability of having an off the shelf product that will work for every application.  The problem is one of space behind the refrigerator.  I can do an inwall unit on custom order.

Dave

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2012, 01:19 am »
Well, I've never been one to hide my ignorance, so I'll ask...What causes the noise, and how effective are Felix units at reducing it?  They are certainly easy to put together- even I made one, and the house hasn't burned down- yet.

Scott

Cheeseboy

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2012, 11:23 pm »
Do I wrap my refridgerator in it?  How do I then get into the fridge?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2012, 02:50 am »
Well, I've never been one to hide my ignorance, so I'll ask...What causes the noise, and how effective are Felix units at reducing it?  They are certainly easy to put together- even I made one, and the house hasn't burned down- yet.

Scott
Somewhat belately... Thank you, Carbonite...

The Felix might work a bit.  I haven't tested it, but it looks like it would be better than nothing.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2012, 02:55 am »
Do I wrap my refridgerator in it?  How do I then get into the fridge?
I'd try a box cutter, then a chainsaw.   8)

The trap that I have working on mine is the size of a handibox in footprint , but 2" deeper - ie: 4-1/16" x 2-1/8" x 4".  Fits behind the fridge in my home, but might not in yours.  I hesitste to design one for inwall usage as that requires a UL rating and frankly I don't have that kind of $$$.

Dave

Cheeseboy

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2012, 10:32 pm »
I think I'll just install a switch and turn the thing off when I listen.  Who needs cold food and beer anyway. 

How does the Buss do on that type of inline noise?  I was going to run a dedicated AC line to the living room with a choke on it and throw the Buss at it as well.  That would leave the refridgerator on a different AC circuit.  Will that solve my Refridgerator noise issue?

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2012, 10:54 pm »
Put it on your deck with a lock on it  :lol:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2012, 11:06 pm »
I think I'll just install a switch and turn the thing off when I listen.  Who needs cold food and beer anyway. 

How does the Buss do on that type of inline noise?  I was going to run a dedicated AC line to the living room with a choke on it and throw the Buss at it as well.  That would leave the refridgerator on a different AC circuit.  Will that solve my Refridgerator noise issue?

Steve
Steve, the BUSSLine of products does a great job on these types of issues.  EMI from the compressor motor and RFI from the processors that new fridges have is pretty well soaked up by the reactive core.  In my home I cannot hear the effects of the SCR dimmer on our dining room light.  Computer noise - all of that is drastically reduced by the RevB and eliminated by the Uber... and without current limiting.

Problem with the switch on the fridge is the time that you forget to turn it back on after a listening session.  Like Carlin said: "This could be either new cheese or old meat!"   :lol:

Dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2012, 11:19 pm »
I would say No, because to avoid refrigerator noise on the audio system, it is need just power off the refrigerator during the listening time.
I do it and recommend, ever in the summer the refrigerator keep cool for these hours...
Hope it help, as the cost is virtually zero.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2012, 11:22 pm »
I have some of that already.  Hey, meds are getting so exspensive I've started growing my own Penicillen.  That's what I tell my friends when they open the cheese minder.

So regardless of the isolation by switching to a dedicated AC line that noise will continue in line just perhaps less.   The Buss will reduce it more.  Am I being redundant by adding a big choke inline before the Buss?  Will the choke have any current limiting effect?

What is the difference between the Majik Buss and this product?

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/457943

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:05 am »
I have some of that already.  Hey, meds are getting so exspensive I've started growing my own Penicillen.  That's what I tell my friends when they open the cheese minder.

So regardless of the isolation by switching to a dedicated AC line that noise will continue in line just perhaps less.   The Buss will reduce it more.  Am I being redundant by adding a big choke inline before the Buss?  Will the choke have any current limiting effect?

What is the difference between the Majik Buss and this product?

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/457943
There is really no comparison.  The BUSSLine (the majikBUSS is out of production and replaced by the RevB) has a reactive core to do the haevy lifting in noise reduction.  Most devices like you have linked to have parallel capacitors and MOVs to do the filtering.  You are compating apples to oranges.

The BPT unit that you linked to is closer to this unit that I sell for $249.00.  It has parallel filtering, NO MOVs (they degrade the sound) and is lined with ERS cloth:

It has cryogenically treated Pass & Seymour 5362 Spec Grade receptacles and a Bulgin C14 IEC inlet. Additional outlets and filter modules are $25.00 ea.

Dave
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2012, 04:30 pm by dBe »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:14 am »
it's a miniBuss.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:57 am »
There is really no comparison.  The BUSSLine (the majikBUSS is out of production and replaced by the RevB) has a reactive core to do the haevy lifting in noise reduction.  Most devices like you have linked to have parallel capacitors and MOVs to do the filtering.  You are compating apples to oranges.

The BPT unit that you linked to is closer to theis unit that I sell for $249.00.  It has parallel filtering, NO MOVs (they degrade the sound) and is lined with ERS cloth:

It has cryogenically treated Pass & Seymour 5362 Spec Grade receptacles and a Bulgin C14 IEC inlet. Additional outlets and filter modules are $25.00 ea.

Dave
(....Take this in the proper spirit Dave  :green: :green: :green:)

Aww right Dave..... How are we supposed to know what is current and what is not??????

Your website is down and your latest thread shows the MajikBUSS as current! (RevB)
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95067.0

Us noobs want to know!!!

(Honest - I'm waiting to buy your products - get that website going! I think you, DR and gld know your stuff and make good sh!t)

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2012, 04:14 am »
(....Take this in the proper spirit Dave  :green: :green: :green:)

Aww right Dave..... How are we supposed to know what is current and what is not??????

Your website is down and your latest thread shows the MajikBUSS as current! (RevB)
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95067.0

Us noobs want to know!!!

(Honest - I'm waiting to buy your products - get that website going! I think you, DRaWith and gld know your stuff and make good sh!t)
With everything that has been going on in my life - family illnesses, brain tumors, wind damaged roofs, people dying, computers dying and on and on, I'm doing good to get up in the morning.  It is all that I can do to get product out and do my best to be all things to all people.  This last year has been the hardest year of my life and I'm barely making a living.  This season of difficulties will pass, but until then the best way to know what I have is to check the stickiness and if you don't see it there, ask.  I'm game for about anything, but the lead times are about 2-3weeks... longer on the hard ones.  I will not shortcut my quality.

Dave

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2012, 05:40 am »
Dave I'm willing to bet things would kick in for you with a proper website.  :)

One of these days (it's in the que) I'm going to get around to that battery buss doohickey of yours.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2012, 04:23 pm »
it's a miniBuss.
Why, so it is!  You named it long ago.   :thumb:

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2012, 04:29 pm »
Dave I'm willing to bet things would kick in for you with a proper website.  :)

One of these days (it's in the que) I'm going to get around to that battery buss doohickey of yours.
It is all about priorities being necessities.  Gayle and I were put in the position of being caregivers to family members a couple of months ago, first with our daughter and now with Gayle's Mom - who has end stage COPD/emphysema/lung cancer.  She decided to move home from hospice.  It has been an emotional roller coaster lately, but these are things that we have to do and are thankful that we can.

I am v e r y slowly getting all of it together for Highfilter to incorporate into a workable site.

Dave

morganc

« Reply #18 on: 3 Feb 2012, 05:29 pm »
Good Luck Dave. We all appreciate your hard work and your great products.  And we are sending our thoughts and prayers to you and your family. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #19 on: 3 Feb 2012, 05:44 pm »
Chin up, Professor.  Ya can't keep a good man down.