Albert Pujols to the Angels.. WOOHOO!

drab

Albert Pujols to the Angels.. WOOHOO!
« on: 8 Dec 2011, 04:15 pm »
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Albert-Pujols-Los-Angeles-Angels-lure-slugger-from-St-Louis-Cardinals

And C.J. Wilson next! Could be a good coupla years before they become albatrosses.  :green:

ratso

Re: Albert Pujols to the Angels.. WOOHOO!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2011, 04:39 pm »
10 years $250 million?  :roll:

be sure to check back in 6 years to see if you're still as excited

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2011, 04:46 pm »
Wilson's decent but not great...at $15 a year that's not a terrible signing. Pujols...for five years, awesome deal, for ten...I don't know. Maybe in ten years $25 a season won't be considered as much as it is now.

Did you guys notice how much Florida has spent?

steve k

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2011, 05:54 pm »
Pujols is past his prime, his numbers are declining. He hit into a personal record number of double plays this year, many in crucial situations. As much as we'll miss him in St. Louis, I think we got the best of him.

xr2

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2011, 06:00 pm »
The question for St. Louis is if they will still be able to compete, or if they will need a few years to rebuild and adjust to a new manager.

youravhandyman

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2011, 06:10 pm »
Cardinals tend to go through half a season without Albert being Albert.  He's injured at least once per season then he will slump for a month or so too.  So I'm pretty sure we can still contend next year.  But if the Angels think #5 means instant success...good luck with that.

jparkhur

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2011, 06:22 pm »
 Just think    a   1/4 billion dollars.....    thats more than we will all make in our lifetimes x a lot..

randytsuch

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2011, 07:18 pm »
I'm from LA, and I think the Angels blew this one.
Will be a good deal for 3, maybe 4 years, but at the end of this deal they will be spending way too much for what they'll get.  This sounds more like something the Yankees would do.

Randy

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2011, 05:02 pm »
$25,000,000 per year for TEN years for a guy whoplays first base, is injury prone, past his prime and who can barely run?  The only reason the Yankees didn't go for this guy is because they are already set at first base and even they aren't dumb enough or careless enough to spend this kind of dough for a guy who will be at DH in a couple years. 

I've seen some bad deals (look at the money the Marlins are shelling out for old and injury prone players) but this takes the cake.  Congrats Angels, you officially own Albert P - forever.

DeadFish

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2011, 07:12 pm »
Pujols is a whore.
Good luck Angels, save some money for cab fare.

Feedback1

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2011, 07:58 pm »
Wait until he files that first Californicated tax return and finds out he'd have been better off kissing a cactus and playing here for less money.  But the issue is ego.  St. Louis is good enough for Pujols the athlete but his star quality is of a magnitude the "midwest" cannot ever deserve in the eyes of coastal culture vultures. 

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2011, 08:35 pm »
Pujols is a whore.
Good luck Angels, save some money for cab fare.

He was a great player for St. Louis and I don't blame him for taking the money.  I think he was WAY overpayed but can't say that I'd turn down a quarter billion dollars.  That is crazy-money. 

I feel bad for the Cards fans.  They are a small market team and they lost their big star and future hall of fame coach, LaRussa in one year. Still, they made the right decision.  If they gave all of the money to Pujols, they would have been ruined as a franchise because there would be no money for anyone else.  They'd essentially be the Pirates with an untradeable fading star at first base. 

Unfortunately, this game is a business.  That's why I don't feel bad when I boo poor performing players and choose to not attend games when my team puts an inferior product on the field.  Owners and players like to talk about loyalty from one side of their mouth, and talk about business out of the other side.  I believe it's a business and I don't support businesses who put out  inferior product.  Sorry Cubs...

twitch54

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2011, 10:35 pm »
Does anybody actually know the terms of his contract ?? I can't imagine anybody stupid enough to give a 'guarnteed' ten year contract.

soundbitten1

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2011, 11:04 pm »
Does anybody actually know the terms of his contract ?? I can't imagine anybody stupid enough to give a 'guarnteed' ten year contract.

It's guaranteed + a no-trade clause + a job in the Angels' organization when he retires.

When he was a Cardinal I believe he was never more than the 15th highest paid player in baseball so he's making up for being "underpaid" now. He's been a bargain for St. Louis for years.