MMG, 1.7 at low volumes

django11

• Canuckistani
MMG, 1.7 at low volumes
« on: 10 Nov 2011, 11:29 am »
How do the panels (particularly mmg and 1.7s) sound at fairly low volumes in a largish room?

rw@cn

Re: MMG, 1.7 at low volumes
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2011, 11:49 am »
Better than the older models I have heard, but you still need push a few watts into them to get them at their best. Sorry to be a bit vague but YMMV.

josh358

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2011, 10:08 pm »
Just wanted to add that by all accounts I've seen, the 1.7's and 3.7's have solved the low level problem. The MMG's use older technology wire woofers. I can't attest to the sound of the .7's myself, only pass on what people say, but I do have MMG's and they still need some level to "come alive," though not as much as my old Tympanis did.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2011, 10:31 pm »
Django, I have found that with the Warpspeed, there is no loss of detail at low volume with the MMG, in fact, they sound just as good down low as they do up top. I listen to them at low level all the time.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2011, 01:08 am »
The .7s sound very good at lower levels which is a good thing - much better than their predecessors.
I never asked but I suspect that they used electrostats for comparison testing during their development.
Another thing that they did was improve the bass which AndyR commented on. 
I don't know what size room you have but the bigger the panel the larger the soundstage.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2011, 03:31 am »
Not actually my room.  I'm trying to convince some clients/friends not too install a bunch of speakers on their walls.  The room is(very) approximately 30x18 with 10 or 12 foot ceilings.The speakers could go somewhere near the middle of the long wall.  The object is to give them very pleasant and present background music and occasionally some real audiophile pleasure.  The MMG would be easy to move around: flat on the wall for background and pulled out for more serious listening.  Not sure how much the 1.7s weigh...

Anyway, they'll probably end up with Sonos or Orbs or something like that...

rw@cn

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2011, 11:50 am »
Why not use the MMGWs?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2011, 12:06 pm »
Why not use the MMGWs?

Would they do the job?  I see they require a sub...

rw@cn

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2011, 12:19 pm »
Would they do the job?  I see they require a sub...

That I don't know. I am out of my comfort zone here.  :)

AVnerdguy

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2011, 03:13 pm »
I had the 1.7s for about 1 ½ years (moved up to 3.7s last month). Due to the small size of my house I had to listen at lower volume levels frequently. They sound very good at lower levels BUT I noticed that what I thought was a lower setting in fact was quite a bit louder than realized due to how clean they play. The definition and clarity is so good that you fail to realize that fact until you back them down when someone yells that it’s past bedtime in the house!  Of course they sounded much better the more power I dumped into them and it was eye opening when I realized just how loudly I was playing them at times.

At lower levels I always used a sub to fill in the bottom end. I don’t have to do that with the 3.7s and probably will be selling the sub, associated Xver & amp. Can’t comment on the MMGWs – no experience.

If you have the room to move the 1.7s around then I suggest getting a set of Mye Sound stands (or something similar). It allowed me to pick them up and place them into the room and then put them back out of the traffic pattern when not in use. Very easy to do and the spikes left a dimple in the carpet so I always returned them to the exact spot they came from. I’d say they are about 50lbs. each with the stands. The stiffness of the stands assured that they remained solid/secure. Not as heavy as it sounds and made for a great option. The 3.7s are a too large to move easily so they have a compromised position until I build my dedicated listening space.

josh358

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2011, 04:21 pm »
The MMGW's need a sub, or better, the Maggie woofer. Still, they're a good option where the speakers can't be pulled out, and the higher-end on-walls are even better.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2011, 04:26 pm »
AVNerdguy's suggestion with the 1.7s on Mye stands is probably their best bet.  They could pull the speakers around with less risk of damage to the speaker than relying on the stock little feet.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2011, 04:44 pm »
Being a Maggie guy for years and owning a pair of MMG's and 1.6's, I feel that they do need some volume to sound their best.  Low volume listening is just OK and there are much better speakers.  The amp that you have plays a role as well.  I did a in home audition of the new AVA 600R amp and it really got the most out of my 1.6's at low volumes.

If you are looking at the MMG's, you may want to consider the MG12's for about $400 more.  Well worth it in my book.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2011, 01:34 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2011, 05:46 pm »
Used 1.6's aren't much more and it would have been easy to choose them or the mg12, but after lot of reading, it seemed that room size is critical. Also the MMG, according to PG makes large gains when modded.

either way, your clients are in for a treat!

rw@cn

« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2011, 08:55 pm »
AVNerdguy's suggestion with the 1.7s on Mye stands is probably their best bet.  They could pull the speakers around with less risk of damage to the speaker than relying on the stock little feet.

One could always use Herbie's Audio Lab's gliders.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2011, 09:05 pm »

AVnerdguy

« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2011, 10:49 pm »
Thanks! I'll try those with the 3.7s.

betty

« Reply #17 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:45 am »
I had the 1.7s for about 1 ½ years (moved up to 3.7s last month).

Hi AVNerdguy,

How do you compare the 1.7s and 3.7s? Awaiting delivery of my first pair of 1.7s, but the recent Perfect Audio reviews of the 3.7s makes wonder if I should upgrade. 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:57 pm »
I guess that AVNerdguy hasn't seen your post.
If you have the room and the extra money go for the 3.7s. 

AVnerdguy

« Reply #19 on: 19 Nov 2011, 03:11 pm »
Hi AVNerdguy,

How do you compare the 1.7s and 3.7s? Awaiting delivery of my first pair of 1.7s, but the recent Perfect Audio reviews of the 3.7s makes wonder if I should upgrade.

Sorry, working a lot of hours lately! Hard to describe the differences as there really aren't many between the 1.7s and the 3.7s. The biggest difference is in the bottom end. The 1.7s require a sub IMHO as there just isn't enough ooomph for amplified music. The 3.7s however, have a serviceable bottom end. I'm thinking that the sub and amp may go away. Not earthshaking but perfect for the type of music I listen to most of the time. Hard to say if there is enough difference in sound to justify the extra money - the 1.7 is a bargain. SteveFord said it best - the same but more!