Rumble filter to protect sub?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Rumble filter to protect sub?
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2019, 12:45 am »
Rumble really hasn't been an issue so far.  I’m mainly concerned about accidental bumps/needle drops.

The turntable is an Audio-Technica AT-LP60-USB.  It came with an Audio-Technica cartridge already installed.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/085561cf849acaa9/index.html
Ok, then it isn't a junk table, and there shouldn't be a mismatch between cartridge and arm... so compliance shouldn't be the issue. 
First, let's establish that there is a problem.  So there is no rumble, and you want to avoid needle drops.  Use the cueing lever. 
I really don't know what frequency range a needle drop or a bump falls into.  Your filter may have little effect. But for thirty bucks, you don't lose much to try it out.
On closer look, I don't see a cueing lever... but, the good news is that it's automatic.  Put on the record, hit play, and walk away from it... the further the better to avoid bumps!

Saturn94

« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2019, 03:04 pm »
Ok, then it isn't a junk table, and there shouldn't be a mismatch between cartridge and arm... so compliance shouldn't be the issue. 
First, let's establish that there is a problem.  So there is no rumble, and you want to avoid needle drops.  Use the cueing lever. 
I really don't know what frequency range a needle drop or a bump falls into.  Your filter may have little effect. But for thirty bucks, you don't lose much to try it out.
On closer look, I don't see a cueing lever... but, the good news is that it's automatic.  Put on the record, hit play, and walk away from it... the further the better to avoid bumps!

I’ll try to keep an eye on it to see if there really is a problem or not.  :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #22 on: 28 Sep 2019, 03:21 pm »
I’ll try to keep an eye on it to see if there really is a problem or not.  :thumb:
Let us know what you find out.  After looking at that TT a bit more, I might have been premature in saying it isn't junk.  I had assumed Audio Technica wouldn't put their name on anything horrendous, but I suspect I'm wrong.  $99 new w/ cartridge doesn't buy much other than Chinese bottom end. 
However, the good news is that one of those buttons in front is for cueing. 
Would your partner be interested in moving up a bit to a better table?  For not a huge amount, you could not bother with filters at all. 
An Orbit is $179,  but it's not auto.    https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable 

Saturn94

« Reply #23 on: 29 Sep 2019, 02:06 am »
Let us know what you find out.  After looking at that TT a bit more, I might have been premature in saying it isn't junk.  I had assumed Audio Technica wouldn't put their name on anything horrendous, but I suspect I'm wrong.  $99 new w/ cartridge doesn't buy much other than Chinese bottom end. 
However, the good news is that one of those buttons in front is for cueing. 
Would your partner be interested in moving up a bit to a better table?  For not a huge amount, you could not bother with filters at all. 
An Orbit is $179,  but it's not auto.    https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

Thanks for the link. :)

He’s very happy with his current turntable, so a replacement isn’t in the plans at this time.  Nevertheless, I’ll bookmark that link, just in case.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #24 on: 29 Sep 2019, 01:58 pm »
These tables are all made by Hanpin, you can get the same thing branded for Stanton and several other brands.  The LP 120 is the next model up and is a significant improvement, but still a very budget table.  The bearings are very cheap, both tonearm and main bearing.  However Hanpin also makes a much higher quality line, the Pioneer PL1000 being one of them.  I know an AC member who traded his VPI Traveler for the Pioneer and never looked back, it sounded very nice at his place.  I believe AT and Stanton both carry their versions of that table.  There's a new line from Hanpin that looks really nice, but I don't know anything about the new tables.

Saturn94

« Reply #25 on: 29 Sep 2019, 11:07 pm »
We did some testing today to see if there really is an issue.  At least with the few records we tried, rumble wasn’t an issue, neither was feedback.  The results of some test thumping and raising the needle up and down was interesting.  The drivers on the sub hardly moved (maybe because it uses three 15” drivers?).  The woofers on the main speakers (8” drivers, crossed over to the sub at 80hz) moved a bit more, but nothing concerning.

So I’m thinking there’s really not an issue to be concerned about.   :thumb:

Thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions.  :D