VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

K-mart

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #1000 on: 3 Sep 2018, 03:01 pm »
Super Tower R's. A bit of moisture damage at the base of one of these on the corner and a couple 2" scratches on the front finish of the same speaker. Owned since 1995, one of the 15" drivers was replaced 10-12 years ago. Still work/sound great. NW. Indiana, $400

Stimpy

« Reply #1001 on: 9 Sep 2018, 12:01 am »
VMPS RM2 tower speakers -  (Pacifica, CA)  $800. BIN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-RM2-tower-speakers/123357601526?hash=item1cb8af9ef6:g:i5cAAOSwfbpbjv96

"Very good condition with black finish!"

Stimpy

« Reply #1002 on: 9 Sep 2018, 02:43 am »
VMPS RM2 Speakers For Sale, Excellent Condition, Sound Great!  -  (Tampa Bay, FL)  $850

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/d/vmps-rm2-speakers-for-sale/6691361554.html

"I'm sadly selling my favorite pair of speakers of all time. VMPS RM2 with the upgraded 12" mega woven carbon fiber woofers. Retail cost was over $3200 for the pair. We're asking $850 cash which is a steal for a pair of these highly sought after speakers. If this advertisement is still posted, the speakers are still available for sale. Please send your area code and phone number for a response back. Thank You!

Specifications:

VMPS RM2: $3200/pair

Type: 3-way, slot-loaded, passive radiator-box.
Tweeter: dual spiral ribbons.
Midrange: dual 7-inch neodymium ribbons.
Woofer: 12-inch mega woven carbon fiber.
Passive Radiator: 12-inch down firing.
Crossover: 167Hz and 6kHz, 6 and 12dB
Nominal impedance: 4 Ohms/3.2 Ohms mm
Sensitivity: 92dB/2.83 volts at 1 meter
Frequency response: 22-30,00OHz +/- 3dB
Termination: single wiring or bi-amp, switchable
Dimensions: 45 by 15 by 16 inches (HxWxD)
Weight: 130 pounds"

Stimpy

« Reply #1003 on: 9 Sep 2018, 02:52 am »
VMPS RM40 Ribbon Speakers  -  (Goleta, CA)  $1500

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/ele/d/vmps-rm40-ribbon-speakers/6688503310.html

"Considered one of the best speakers ever built
These come with outboard cross overs New they were $7000

The RM 40 was the centerpiece of our 2002 Consumer Electronics Show demonstration room which won "Best of CES" from TechTV, the media arm of the Electronics Industry Association, host of the Show. The RM 40 won as best High End Audio product in a field of 261 exhibitors (of all High End products, not just speakers, although our competitors in that regard all ran 5 to 20 times our price) with 35 total products nominated. A field of 26 judges canvassed the Show for winners, giving VMPS the nod in High End Audio.
Specifications

Bass: - 25 cm (10") WCF Megawoofer bass, 25 cm (10") WCF midbass, 25cm (10") Passive Radiator
Mid: - four rectangular 10 x 20 cm (4 x 8") Neo ribbons, 280 Hz - 6.9 kHz
Treble: - FST, 6.9 kHz - 30 kHz
Impedance & Sensitivity: - 4 Ohm (3.6 min.) 90 dB/1W/1m
Power handling: - 500 W rms / 4 Ohms, 20 W min.
Frequency response: - 24 Hz - 25 kHz +0/-3 dB
Dimensions & Weight: - 168H x 32W x 43D cm, 109 kg (66"H x 13"W x 17"D cm, 240 lbs)
Output levels and distortion: - max. 1% THD fullrange / 1W, max. 115+ dB SPL / 1m
Finishes: - standard black

This 109 kg, 168 cm tall floorstanding speaker boasts the 25cm Woven Carbon Fiber Megawoofer lowbass and 25cm WCF midbass in a symmetrical array with four 20cm Neodymium midrange ribbon panels (280 Hz to 7 kHz) and one Free Swinging Tweeter (flat to 25 kHz) in a column only 32 cm wide and 43 cm deep. Thin dimensions and full driver symmetry guarantee pinpoint imaging and a soundstage both wide and deep, with layering and detail that is simply breathtaking. Cabinetry is 38 mm thick MDF baffles (plus 28 mm sides and top) treated with Soundcoat for 10 dB less panel vibration. The result is 24 Hz bass with ultraclean 115 dB/1m output levels at an unprecedented low price for such achievement.

There are three ways to operate the RM 40, so-called because of its 40 inch vertical ribbon mid/tweeter array. The first is full range, with a single amplifier as a source. The system presents a steady 4 Ohm load, resistive above 166Hz, with 90dB/1W sensitivity and enormous output and dynamic range. Second, more ambitious audiophiles can easily switch the system to the biamp/biwire configuration and run a separate bass amp through the speaker's passive bass and mid/treble crossovers which, by the way, consist of all premium parts such as Axon polypropylene caps and hi-Q Erse 14 gauge laminated core inductors. The third option is biamping with the passive bass crossover removed, an outboard 24 dB/octave electronic crossover driving the separate bass amp, and a second amp running the ribbon panels through their builtin 6 and 12 dB filters.

No matter if your tastes run to high-end Music or Home Theater, once you have heard the sheer responsiveness and velocity of our unique handbuilt woofers, exclusive high efficiency Neo ribbon midranges and spiral ribbon tweeters, you won't want to go back to dynamic speakers regardless of price."

JakeJ

« Reply #1004 on: 9 Sep 2018, 08:15 am »
Stimpy, can you, or anyone with the knowledge, tell me the differences in the tweeter application in the last two RM2 versions you just posted?  The black pair have what appears to be a Fountek or ? unit while the oak veneered pair have the round ribbons that Brian used in many designs.  I would love to try a pair and have room for them or possibly a pair of RM-30's.  Super Towers or RM-40's would be too big for my room.  Keeping my eye open.

oldhvymec, you got yer ears on?  Got an opinion on the various tweeters Brian used over the years?

simon wagstaff

« Reply #1005 on: 9 Sep 2018, 12:14 pm »
Important to check the binding posts as well.
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2018, 05:58 pm by simon wagstaff »

Stimpy

« Reply #1006 on: 9 Sep 2018, 07:34 pm »
Stimpy, can you, or anyone with the knowledge, tell me the differences in the tweeter application in the last two RM2 versions you just posted?  The black pair have what appears to be a Fountek or ? unit while the oak veneered pair have the round ribbons that Brian used in many designs.  I would love to try a pair and have room for them or possibly a pair of RM-30's.  Super Towers or RM-40's would be too big for my room.  Keeping my eye open.

oldhvymec, you got yer ears on?  Got an opinion on the various tweeters Brian used over the years?

Hey Jake,

I'm sorry, as I won't be of much help.  I've only heard VMPS speakers with the FST ribbon tweeters.  I've heard the spiral ribbons in Infinity speakers, but not stacked Emit-R's like Brian used.  Stacked tweeters tend to limit horizontal dispersion, helping to remove floor reflections.  Maybe that's why Brian used them as such?  The stacked Emit-R tweeters were also Brian's First Gen RM-2's.  The FST designs came later.  Though, if local, I would buy either version.  They should be awesome either way.

John Casler

« Reply #1007 on: 9 Sep 2018, 08:26 pm »

One photo is of twin Spiral Ribbons (as Stimpy said)

The other is the FST (similar to the Arum Cantus, not Fountek) B used on later models

The FST was considered an upgrade and was the design until he passed, except a couple Founteks in the RM v60, and the multiple tweeter array in the RM50.

He felt it smoother, had higher output, and was better sounding.

That said, very few were unhappy in any way with the dual spirals.

oldhvymec

« Reply #1008 on: 11 Sep 2018, 12:27 am »

I have not heard them stacked.  I had them in a pair 808s.  I had no BIG problem with the sound, I had a problem with the failure. They would just go out. I went to a morel SD never looked back. Still listen to those speakers almost every day.

The FST is very directional. Extraordinary clear! Sweet spot is much narrower. The way, I like to stand up and move about in a room, the spiral would probably be better for me. The problem was reliability. Maybe stacked, little different XO point, may have made them more reliable.  I bet they would be outstanding in an array.  People chuckle when I tell them I like soft domes. If you ever get a chance to listen to a set STIIa/Rs in "ok shape" you'll be liking what you hear. Their a soft dome unit. Some of the BEST rock and roll speakers around.
The RM2 XOs for lows to mids (with the spirals) might have a lower XO point, some of those did. They did have a Power "PUSH" issue, so to speak. If you pushed the power it "could" blow the mids because of the low XO, (160 or 180). TOO low for that few ribbons.  I'd check with Mr. Stimpy on that. Quit a deal either way, ay? You need to be aware if there is a potentially avoidable  issue. (BLOWN RIBBONS)

Off note, got a GOOD" center speaker going for the Elixirs, running mids and highs on AB tube sets. A 2494 via a pair of NU12000s running the center bass section, and 2 serious satellite BASS boxes. Elixirs are running off a pair of NC500s and SX1000s doing bass duty.  You have to open both garage doors and X tape the one little window. Using A C20 / MX120 pre dutys, silver disk, Music Server and TD124 / 3012 vinyl, via Ortofon MC cart.  Gotta say "it's better than eatin' bugs". Carlos Santana and old Joe Cocker (Can leave your hat on") was in the room today, Gents. NOW to get that center speaker in an Elixir style Center speaker Box. Ideas, Drawings? I have an Idea in my head for the Bass enclosures, they need the Elixir LOOK 72 inches tall or so with the coved section on top? Center speaker almost RM50ish at least 8 mid drivers.  I'm close to hearing my perfect sound, now to SEE it TOO.

This is for you Lance ol buddy, It took 4 (FOUR) dedicated 20 amp circuits off a 100 amp dedicated sub panel, with 4 triplite 2400s to clean up and keep things running nicely. I did the math I would HAVE been idling at over 4000 watts, and over 10000 when I punch, (more like 15000 @ 3/4 throttle) with AB amps, and close to the SPL of the class Ds. I'm Idling now at 12-1500 watts and 6-10000 watts MAX with spl in excess of 145 db., 165 no problem  I need a test subject, I want to see, If I can blow hair off, someone's head.  I know for a fact I have the perfect burglar alarm, even the non hearing have to breath.

Conclusion about Mr. Romeyn's and all thinking of Class D amps.  Class D have a BIG place in the new world of Switching power supply amps. I'm running a pair of NC500s. a pair of NU12000s and a pair of SX1000s (not SX1200 as I said before) I'll be going back to my beloved Macs, VTLs and 300bs, for mid and high duty, when winter sets in. I'll keep you posted with MY opinion of the new amps and the different OP Amp I'll be swapping out for testing. I suppose the caps and such have to break in. A good preamp made them sound good, a great preamp made them sound even better. Time and tinkering, who knows?

Back to the shop, Stanley Clark, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, little Jazzzz. Shoot, and little funk-O-delic, James Brown TOO!!!!

I bid you adieu.

JakeJ

« Reply #1009 on: 11 Sep 2018, 01:01 am »
Thanks for chiming in, oldhvymec!  Appreciate all opnions.

I gotta say, you are definitely a serious player in this hobby.  Keep us posted on your adventures.

oldhvymec

« Reply #1010 on: 6 Oct 2018, 04:41 pm »
 :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2021, 04:32 am by oldhvymec »

Stimpy

« Reply #1011 on: 7 Oct 2018, 12:34 am »
High Quality VMPS Speaker Pair  -  (Novato, CA)  $200

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/for/d/high-quality-vmps-speaker-pair/6716824136.html

"These have worked beautifully in our home theater for years. They have been lovingly taken care of by my husband who has when needed once replaced the foam and paper on the speakers. (I am not sure what those parts are called).

There is no damage to the wood or the Speaker fabric covers.

Easy pick up close to 101 in downtown Novato.

$200 or best offer.

Call or text Alice"

GeorgeAb

« Reply #1012 on: 25 Oct 2018, 04:31 am »
Pointing these out.   Santa Barbra area VMPS RM-40's without outboard crossovers.   Asking $1,500  https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/ele/6688503310.html  Too far for me and I am pretty happy with the size and performance of the RM-30's.

John Casler

« Reply #1013 on: 28 Oct 2018, 03:36 pm »
Pointing these out.   Santa Barbra area VMPS RM-40's without outboard crossovers.   Asking $1,500  https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/ele/6688503310.html  Too far for me and I am pretty happy with the size and performance of the RM-30's.

I know this pair, which I purchased for a friend in Santa Barbara.

What is not mentioned in the ad, is that they have OXO (OUTBOARD CROSSOVERS) with Auricaps.

For the VMPS aficionado they are a steal.

Stimpy

« Reply #1014 on: 17 Nov 2018, 09:26 pm »
VMPS Super Tower III Very Rare Audiophile Loudspeakers speakers ORIGINAL OWNER!  -  (Homer Glen, Illinois)  $2500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Super-Tower-III-Very-Rare-Audiophile-Loudspeakers-speakers-ORIGINAL-OWNER/352513504247?hash=item52137133f7:g:crcAAOSwNCtb1MbN:rk:1:pf:0

"Relisting due to buyer's wife not allowing him to complete the purchase. Please get "clearance from the tower" before bidding. Thank you.

I am the original owner of these incredible monsters. I purchased them new in 1992. The original tweeters were replaced with VMPS upgraded tweeters, purchased directly from VMPS around 1993, if memory serves me correctly. They can be bi-amped if desired. Capable of handling big power, yet extremely efficient.

The speakers are in excellent cosmetic condition. The oak cabinets are stunning. The all-original black cloth speaker grills are beautiful. The drivers seem to be in wonderful shape, other than the surrounds on the down-firing 15" passive drivers on both speakers. These surrounds are severely "decayed." They were obviously made from a difference material than the surrounds on the other drivers. They will need to be replaced.

6' - 5" tall
2" thick cabinets
approx. 300 lbs each

Please see photo for more features and specifications. The sales brochure is included in the sale. If you would like additional photos, or if you would like me to email the spec sheet (sales brochure) please let me know. I realize I only have a photo of the right speaker, but the left speaker is in identical condition. I can take a photo of that one if you are interested.

Due to the immense size and weight of these speakers, I cannot ship them. Local pickup only in Homer Glen, Illinois. If you want to hire a shipper, and be responsible for cost, packaging/crating, insurance, etc. I can have them ready for pickup at my Bolingbrook, Illinois office, which has a truck-height dock. The speakers would NOT be prepped for shipping. You or the shipper would have to do the prep work to protect/ship them.

These come from a pet-free and smoke-free home.

Payment within 3 days of auction end.

Thank you."

Stimpy

« Reply #1015 on: 17 Nov 2018, 09:32 pm »
VMPS Original Subwoofer  -  (Minnesota, MN)  $100

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/d/vmps-original-subwoofer/6734373094.html

"Early 90s passive subwoofer in black cabinet. With the right amp and crossover this will rattldowse your windows."

Stimpy

« Reply #1016 on: 17 Nov 2018, 09:46 pm »
REPOST

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/ele/d/vmps-rm40-ribbon-speakers/6698752666.html

VMPS RM40 Ribbon Speakers  -  (Goleta, CA)  $1500

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/ele/d/vmps-rm40-ribbon-speakers/6688503310.html

"Considered one of the best speakers ever built
These come with outboard cross overs New they were $7000

The RM 40 was the centerpiece of our 2002 Consumer Electronics Show demonstration room which won "Best of CES" from TechTV, the media arm of the Electronics Industry Association, host of the Show. The RM 40 won as best High End Audio product in a field of 261 exhibitors (of all High End products, not just speakers, although our competitors in that regard all ran 5 to 20 times our price) with 35 total products nominated. A field of 26 judges canvassed the Show for winners, giving VMPS the nod in High End Audio.
Specifications

Bass: - 25 cm (10") WCF Megawoofer bass, 25 cm (10") WCF midbass, 25cm (10") Passive Radiator
Mid: - four rectangular 10 x 20 cm (4 x 8") Neo ribbons, 280 Hz - 6.9 kHz
Treble: - FST, 6.9 kHz - 30 kHz
Impedance & Sensitivity: - 4 Ohm (3.6 min.) 90 dB/1W/1m
Power handling: - 500 W rms / 4 Ohms, 20 W min.
Frequency response: - 24 Hz - 25 kHz +0/-3 dB
Dimensions & Weight: - 168H x 32W x 43D cm, 109 kg (66"H x 13"W x 17"D cm, 240 lbs)
Output levels and distortion: - max. 1% THD fullrange / 1W, max. 115+ dB SPL / 1m
Finishes: - standard black

This 109 kg, 168 cm tall floorstanding speaker boasts the 25cm Woven Carbon Fiber Megawoofer lowbass and 25cm WCF midbass in a symmetrical array with four 20cm Neodymium midrange ribbon panels (280 Hz to 7 kHz) and one Free Swinging Tweeter (flat to 25 kHz) in a column only 32 cm wide and 43 cm deep. Thin dimensions and full driver symmetry guarantee pinpoint imaging and a soundstage both wide and deep, with layering and detail that is simply breathtaking. Cabinetry is 38 mm thick MDF baffles (plus 28 mm sides and top) treated with Soundcoat for 10 dB less panel vibration. The result is 24 Hz bass with ultraclean 115 dB/1m output levels at an unprecedented low price for such achievement.

There are three ways to operate the RM 40, so-called because of its 40 inch vertical ribbon mid/tweeter array. The first is full range, with a single amplifier as a source. The system presents a steady 4 Ohm load, resistive above 166Hz, with 90dB/1W sensitivity and enormous output and dynamic range. Second, more ambitious audiophiles can easily switch the system to the biamp/biwire configuration and run a separate bass amp through the speaker's passive bass and mid/treble crossovers which, by the way, consist of all premium parts such as Axon polypropylene caps and hi-Q Erse 14 gauge laminated core inductors. The third option is biamping with the passive bass crossover removed, an outboard 24 dB/octave electronic crossover driving the separate bass amp, and a second amp running the ribbon panels through their builtin 6 and 12 dB filters.

No matter if your tastes run to high-end Music or Home Theater, once you have heard the sheer responsiveness and velocity of our unique handbuilt woofers, exclusive high efficiency Neo ribbon midranges and spiral ribbon tweeters, you won't want to go back to dynamic speakers regardless of price."

Campindog

« Reply #1017 on: 1 Dec 2018, 04:57 pm »
I'm so tempted to go pick these up. I keep waiting for some RM40s to show up for sale in the Bay Area. These seem like quite a good deal, just too far for a day trip. Would match my RM40 center channel perfectly.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #1018 on: 1 Dec 2018, 05:49 pm »
The external xrossovers should make it a no brainer.

Campindog

« Reply #1019 on: 4 Dec 2018, 01:27 am »
Ad for RM40s expired. Not sure how to contact the seller  :cry:  :duh: