Bi wiring RM40's

LAL

Bi wiring RM40's
« on: 14 Sep 2003, 10:17 pm »
I am curious if anyone here has experimented with bi wiring the RM40's and if so how it compared with a single wire and jumpers. I can't imagine that Brian, John and Tyson among others haven't tried it, but I don't remember ever reading any comments or reviews specifically on this topic.

Juan R

Bi wiring RM40's
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2003, 11:38 pm »
I did, single, jumpers and bi wiring, and the difference in bass and separation of instruments is notable, dynamic, front punch. try biwiring, the way that is not expensive is with the 6g Lowe`s cables , not bad to start, but I prefered the pure silver 14g for base 16g for mid and high.

Sedona Sky Sound

Bi wiring RM40's
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2003, 01:07 am »
I highly recommend bi-wiring the RM40s. The difference between single wire versus correctly implemente bi-wire makes as much difference as stock versus Auricaps IMHO. I have not tried using a jumper just because bi-wiring makes so much more sense to me (ie., the bass wants fat wire and the treble wants thin wire so anything else is a compromise).    

The absolute best combination I have found is a variation of the Stan Warren quad-12awg (using Southwire cable) for the bass and 16 strands of 22awg tightly braided silver covered copper (approx 14 awg equivalent) for the mid/treble. Sounds better than any cable I have tried at any price but cost/labor involved is prohibitive (material cost is $150+ and takes 15-20 hours to make. Ouch.).

What I finally settled on is a bi-wire cable using the quad-12awg for the bass and teflon coated quad-16awg for the mid/treble (ScorpionWire BiWire). Works very well with the RM40 and the RM/X.    

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

Sedona Sky Sound

Bi wiring RM40's
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2003, 01:22 am »
Juan R,
You might want to try a larger AWG for the bass in your RM40s. When I first made the 9/14awg biwire, I accidentally installed it backwards (bass was always on bottom on my previous speakers) . I was incredibly disappointed at the enimic sound and spent several hours adjusting pots, bass mass, etc trying to make it sound correct. As I was getting ready to to pull out the cable and write it off as as a failed experiment, I noticed my mistake. Once I switched each cable to the correct binding post, the speakers came alive. My best guess is that the braided 14awg silver covered copper was just starving out the bass. 14awg pure silver will be slightly better but I think you will hear an improvement going with 12awg pure silver (or 10-11awg copper).        

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

reefrus

Bi wiring RM40's
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2003, 12:46 pm »
I use lowe's 6awg wire as jumper cable(without toggle switch) and main speakers cable have awesome results.