JoshK

here's my granite platter
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2003, 08:26 pm »
interesting....where did you get it?

beat

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2003, 08:29 pm »
hey josh,
there is a big stone cutting place here in town. it is a cut off piece from  a sink hole for a counter. it is a sixteenth shy of being 12"

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2003, 08:46 pm »
Not only do you need a motor to spin it but you need a heavy duty bearing like the Teres or Redpoint bearing.  That is going to be a beeotch to fit to the bearing I think.  It might be easier to use this for the base.

beat

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2003, 08:59 pm »
I know,
I'm sure it will be a huge beeeeoooootch. I always love a challenge though.  If I pull it off and it sounds good I will have that much more satisfaction when I'm done. Do you know a good place for that redpoint bearing?

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2003, 09:11 pm »
Beat,
I'm not too familiar with the Teres stuff, but I realize that site will have useful DIY info.  
Just thought I'd chime in with the Nottingham approach (I have the Spacedeck) to motor design--the Nott's all have to be started by hand.  The motor actually only KEEPS the platter spinning--wonder if the self-start approach would help in your motor search???

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2003, 09:16 pm »
That is the same way that Teres and Redpoint do their motors.   It is the Maxor motor that Teres uses.

The redpoint site is redpoint-audio-design.com

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2003, 11:46 pm »
Josh,
Thanks.  I guess I just proved how unfamiliar I am! :?
I'd go to the site you mentioned, but I'm afraid I might get an itch I can't afford to scratch.
TY

beat

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2003, 03:32 pm »
:lol:  well put tonto. That's what has led me to this.. Thanks for your input guys. I'm going to check the redpoints out.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2003, 07:08 pm »

beat

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2003, 05:00 am »
thanks john,
I dig that scheu site. reasonable prices for alot of it. I might pick up on one of those bearings. Not the most high tech but it'll work.
beat