Soundscapes Wow Bay Area Audiophiles

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
    • Bay Area Audiophile Society
Soundscapes Wow Bay Area Audiophiles
« on: 19 Sep 2010, 04:15 pm »
Our society had a great event yesterday that combined a demonstration of the Amarra music player with Jim's Soundscape 10's.

I can honestly say that the SS10's were the rave of the show. Our members found them sonically superb, and a real value at $10K. (See the rave at the link.)

And working with Jim was a treat.

It's no surprise to me that the brand has such a loyal following....

Thanks Salk!

Bob

http://baasnotes.com/blog/2010/09/19/amarra-and-salk-treat-bay-area-audiophiles/

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
Re: Soundscapes Wow Bay Area Audiophiles
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2010, 04:17 pm »

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2010, 08:06 pm »
That's fantastic news!  Thanks for taking the time to inform us of how the event went, teros1.  I was hoping the fine folks  in the Bay area would enjoy the Salk's.

Jim, Dennis and team, congrats on the good press received this weekend.  Keep on doing what you guys do best: making world class speakers at a world class price! :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2010, 02:24 pm »
A few more comments, but not the flood I was expecting.  Maybe the folks in attendance do not post?

writeface

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2010, 04:56 pm »
I missed this! I am in the south bay (owner of HT-3) but had no idea about this event.

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2010, 06:56 pm »
I missed this! I am in the south bay (owner of HT-3) but had no idea about this event.

Well, they may be in the Bay area for another week or so.  If you'd like to hear them, we might be able to arrange it.

- Jim

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2010, 05:36 am »
A few more comments, but not the flood I was expecting.  Maybe the folks in attendance do not post?

We're just getting our forums going, so posting is still light...

Bob

fsimms

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2010, 02:52 am »
A few days after the last post in this thread an interesting comment was added to the original link:

http://baasnotes.com/blog/2010/09/19/amarra-and-salk-treat-bay-area-audiophiles/#comments

This has a lot of info about their experience with the SoundScape 10's.

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2010, 03:21 am »
I dunno.  You can't argue with what people say they heard.  But the San Fran Area dudes seem very into peripherals. The impedance profile of the SS10 is about as benign as it gets, and I can't imagine that biamping would make any difference.   And the highs have a 3-way switch, with the first setting being elevated about 2 dB.  So I'm pretty sure there were no rolled off highs.  Just a personal opinion. 

fsimms

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2010, 02:48 pm »
I dunno.  You can't argue with what people say they heard.  But the San Fran Area dudes seem very into peripherals. The impedance profile of the SS10 is about as benign as it gets, and I can't imagine that biamping would make any difference.   And the highs have a 3-way switch, with the first setting being elevated about 2 dB.  So I'm pretty sure there were no rolled off highs.  Just a personal opinion.

I agree.  They were probably making more than one change at a time and guessing which change made the difference that they were hearing.  The key for me is that they finally got it kicking ass!  :thumb:

Bob

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2010, 04:24 pm »
If I do remember correctly, this was not a "production pair" of speakers.  The newer version has a slightly higher driver sensitivity, which pulls the soundstage forward more and snaps everything into place.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong.