My plan

taoggniklat

Re: My plan
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jan 2010, 05:35 am »
Yeah I know...was typing on the Droid and it auto-spell checked.  Sorry. 

Its all good. :)

So I am thinking of going with This setup for now:

SongTowers
Yamaha RXV863 BL
Emotiva UPA-1 (When/if they come out)
Rythmic F15 (DIY)

Down the road I will upgrade the amplifier and add the center channel, and add a second sub.

vintagebob

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jan 2010, 10:04 pm »
So last week Vintagebob invited me over to check out his system. I was very impressed and quickly realized that this was the system I wanted to put together.

I have been showing my wife numerous photos of Salk speakers asking her if she liked the finish. Finally she asked me why I kept showing her pictures of speakers. I replied that I was considering getting a pair and that I wanted to make sure she would be happy with the finish. She then replied, "but you have speakers...don't they work?"

At that point I knew I needed her to experience the Salk's first hand and that she has never experienced a high end audio system, so I contacted Bob again and he graciously opened up his home again. Bob and I planned a Josh Groban's concert DVD "Awake" as Groban is my wife's favorite (strategic planning!).

So after greeting each other and getting a chance to meet Bob's girlfriend and a glass of champaign in hand, we sat down for some great entertainment.

As soon as the concert started my wife turned to me and said "Wow! The sound is so clear! His voice is so beautiful!" This put a huge grin on my face.  :thumb:

We listened to some more tracks and throughout the show, she kept telling me how she listens to this album all the time in her car, but she never knew the instruments could sound so good. This was music to my ears. I think she was beginning to understand why I am so crazy about audio.

At this point my wife started asking more questions about the equipment and speakers. At one point she asked if a subwoofer was being used and I replied yes and pointed it out to her. Her first response was "Wow I thought that was just a piece of furniture!"  :)

After a while we put on some 2 channel music (Salk CD, various other tracks from Bob's library...even some LP's) to show her what stereo can do. The first thing she asked me was if the music was coming out of the center speaker...I replied no it was just the two left and right speakers. "Wow" she whispered to herself. "I love how clear the instruments sound, I could listen to this all day."

Finally, we played Bolt to demonstrate the HT capabilities and give the sub a bigger workout. In short, she loved it and exclaimed "I'm sold"

All in all it was a great evening and many thanks to Bob for letting us invade his home. I truly appreciate it. I think she understands now what I am trying to do.

Jared

That was a LOT of fun!   :thumb:

taoggniklat

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jan 2010, 11:09 pm »
That was a LOT of fun!   :thumb:

Indeed  it was! :)

taoggniklat

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2010, 06:51 am »
Any of you familiar with or using Pioneer Elite VSX-21 with the SongTowers?

taoggniklat

« Reply #24 on: 8 Feb 2010, 09:41 pm »
So I survived my cross country move (so far). Now that I am actually in the house, I have revised my plan a bit. The basement in our new house only has 1 electrical outlet ( :( ) so for now, a basement setup is not practical.

I currently have my system setup temporarily in the living room, which has turned out better than I thought. The room is larger than we thought and also has vaulted ceilings. The stereo/tv was the first thing unpacked of course. I told my wife we have to have music to unpack with!

Right now I have my Rotel RA-972 integrated driving my Paradigm Monitor 9's, with my iPod and Sony BluRay as the source. It is only 2 channel for now but that is ok with me. I am planning on ordering the Emo UPA-1's and ST-OWII's soon (wife wanted new sofa's first).

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #25 on: 9 Feb 2010, 12:21 am »
wife wanted new sofa's first.

Women and their silly priorities.

Nuance

« Reply #26 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:45 am »
Women and their silly priorities.

Women and their silly...everything.  :D :lol:

taoggniklat

« Reply #27 on: 15 Feb 2010, 05:30 pm »
Soooo.... my ST deposit just went out the door.....to the auto shop to fix my car :(

Nuance

« Reply #28 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:48 pm »
^ :(:(:(

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #29 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:56 pm »
Soooo.... my ST deposit just went out the door.....to the auto shop to fix my car :(

:duh:  I tol'ya not to buy a Toyota. 

rlee8394

« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2010, 07:09 pm »
If it was a Toyota, he surely wouldn't have to foot the bill!!!!  :wink:

Ron

taoggniklat

« Reply #31 on: 28 Feb 2010, 04:40 pm »
My projector bulb just died.  :(