VMPS RM30 made "LASTING IMPRESSION" on Dick Olsher

John Casler

Sent in by VMPS'er Chuck Johnson (thanks Chuck :mrgreen: )

VMPS RM30 made "LASTING IMPRESSION" on Dick Olsher at CES

Dick Olsher reporting for EnjoyTheMusic.com wrote:

The VMPS RM-30 speaker ($4,430/pair), driven by Bruce Moore amplification, made a lasting impression. It features a ribbon midrange (three panels) operating from about 280Hz up to 7kHz, and a narrow ribbon tweeter operating to beyond 20kHz. Several woofers handle the bass octaves. Another key feature is a Constant Directivity Wave Guide (patent pending) incorporating a damped, 0.66-inch aperture or "diffraction slot" that takes advantage of the fact that large ribbons act more like plucked strings than pistons with most the acoustic output being generated from the center of the ribbon.

for more of the report look here:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/ces2006/olsher/page2.htm

NealH

« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2006, 03:30 am »
Not much there really.  I wish he would have commented on the sound more.  The room was probably too crowded to do an audition though.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2006, 05:03 am »
I've started a major room re-design for acoustic upgrades.  Only a couple of very minor improvements so far.  But the RM30CDWG's have already revealed dramatic improvements.  I have a lot of anticipation for the coming modifications.

warnerwh

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2006, 06:39 am »
Jim: Don't mess around with those room treatments.  I'm tellin ya my room sounds so good it's amazing. My big Rm 40's almost do a disappearing act. I've had a number of people ask me where the sound is coming from. That's from the good acoustics.  Be sure to get some bass traps in there too.  

Forget about everything else and just do it.  Yes I am telling you what to do! :o   I think after you do it in your own room you'll be very pleased.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2006, 07:16 am »
Quote from: rnhood
Not much there really.  I wish he would have commented on the sound more.  The room was probably too crowded to do an audition though.

I agree, it would have been nice if you could take "reviewers" as appointments, so they could "do their thing".

I remember when Dick was there, He didn't even get to sit in the "sweet spot".  He did his listening sitting in the corner of the second row!!!!

CES this year was a little strange.  Some rooms were always crowded, and some had no one.

Luckily We were almost a steady stream of listeners, and with the new CDWG, most got to hear from a pretty good seat no matter where they sat.

Mad DOg

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2006, 08:56 am »
hi john,

guess i'll need to drop by some time to hear your rm30s then!  8)

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2006, 03:06 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
hi john,

guess i'll need to drop by some time to hear your rm30s then!  8)

Yeah, and pick up the CD's I have for you :mrgreen:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2006, 04:45 pm »
Quote from: warnerwh
Jim: Don't mess around with those room treatments.  I'm tellin ya my room sounds so good it's amazing. My big Rm 40's almost do a disappearing act. I've had a number of people ask me where the sound is coming from. That's from the good acoustics.  Be sure to get some bass traps in there too.  

Forget about everything else and just do it.  Yes I am telling you what to do! :o   I think after you do it in your own room you'll be very pleased.

Warner
One of the several reasons I chose to treat the room better than it already has been, is that I've got a lot of great vinyl LP's & super good analog playback chain.  This puts a big damper on converting all signals into digital & back to analog.

I have no argument with anyone who believes that electronic equalization is preferable to room treatments.  But I have never heard of anyone who has invested in professional room treatments, & has also heard the same room without treatments & rather has been treated only with electronic fixes, that preferred the purely electronic cures.  This to me, is the only reliable test of whether one cure is better than another, & it's very hard to argue with my result-oriented analysis, don't you agree?

It's one thing to say you are delighted with the results & the sound in your room.  It's quite another to say, without testing the theory, that it is preferrable to acoustic room treatment & design changes.      

Plus I believe there is general value in getting the room as close to perfect as possible anyway.

Would you be so kind as to email me a layout diagram of your room/furniture/equipment?  You can get free room design software from Visio.  It's amazingly easy to use once you get started.

mca

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2006, 05:21 pm »
Is anyone lined up to do a proper review of the RM30 (or any other VMPS speaker) with the waveguides?

John B

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2006, 05:40 pm »
Is anyone lined up to do a proper review of the RM30 (or any other VMPS speaker) with the waveguides?

Not that I'm all that proper  :wink: ...but I will be coming out with a PFO review, in the near future, on the RM30s and 626R's with the waveguides.

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2006, 06:35 pm »
Don't take this the wrong way and I appreciate the comments (and would love to won a pair of RM30's) but three of these comments are from current dealers or a past dealer.

Just trying to keep things in perspective, although I have no doubt that this is an EXCELLENT product!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2006, 07:17 pm »
I posted my impression back when I first got them here.  I have never been a dealer.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=23898

Since then I have removed the horn on FST.  Definitely an improvement in broadening the sweet spot!  I am still fiddling with tuning issue but I have a complicated set up that requires a lot of effort in dialing in my "perfect" sound.  I will get there.   :wink:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2006, 07:56 pm »
Quote from: mr_bill
Don't take this the wrong way and I appreciate the comments (and would love to won a pair of RM30's) but three of these comments are from current dealers or a past dealer.

Just trying to keep things in perspective, although I have no doubt that this is an EXCELLENT product!

A quick search could reveal several professionals who are not dealers of any kind, who auditioned the CDWG at THE Show & were very happy with the performance.

dubravko

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2006, 08:16 pm »
You can find all CES 2006 CDWG comments I found so far at

http://www.vmpseurope.com/r-CES06.htm

warnerwh

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2006, 10:24 pm »
Jim: I tried downloading Visio something or another. If you give me a link I'll try it again.  You're going to be amazed how good these speakers can sound with good acoustics. I am getting a holographic soundstage here. It's most incredible to have two large speakers in the room with little sound seeming to come from them.  Voices and instruments float in space in their various positions, very enjoyable.

You've been in this hobby for a long time and will find as I did that you waited too long to get your room done.  Being fortunate enough to have a space where you can do what you want is a wonderful benefit.  The cost of the treatment is small considering what you get for it.  Going to the RM/x from the RM 30's I seriously doubt could bring this improvement.  

The DEQ 2496 was the icing on the cake.  I figure I have less than a grand in room treatment including the Behringer.  Probably spent over 50 bucks in spray adhesive so be prepared.

warnerwh

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2006, 10:43 pm »
Jim: Better yet go to my gallery warnerwh. I took five pics of my room. The room is 12x17x7-2". It's on page 52 in the gallery.

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2006, 11:48 pm »
warner, you should provide a link to your gallery in your signature, much like I do.

warnerwh

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2006, 01:24 am »
Josh: I'd be happy to if I knew how.