I'm back. All emails will be answered by tomorrow.

Curt

I have been working on a rush OEM contract design-Mfg job for almost two weeks and have not been able to respond to IRD audio emails or AC posts.

I will try to catch up on everything by the end of the day tomorrow.

Thank you all for your patience, especially the emails that I am behind on.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2003, 10:04 pm »
Curt,

I figured that - you don't strike me as much of a slacker!

Skip my email in your batch (unless you want to answer it)...the Purist LLC now sounds great.  100 hours just isn't enough to evaluate it properly...it's still breaking in 13 days later.  

At the level of equipment, time and tweeks most of us on this forum have, we can hear that final 5% break-in and it matters.  You may want to counsel folks to break in for 250 hurs or something before critical A/B'ing should be done.

I've read the following on Odyssey's website once or twice and I thought it was OTT (over the top), but turns out it probably is dead on for their gear...and the Purist LLC:

<<First Period: After turning on your amplifier or preamplifier for the first time, the units will require a few minutes to stabilize. The sound will be rather harsh on the higher frequencies, and the dynamic range is rather restricted. This sonic signature will always be apparent when you turn on "cold" components.  

Second Period: This stage will be reached after approximately 1-2 hours of playing time. The dynamics, soundstaging, focus, and transients will improve noticeably. Essentially, your unit will start "opening up and relaxing."  

Third Period: After approximately 8 - 10 days of playing and being charged, the upper midrange and highs will "smoothen out". The bass will improve in speed and articulation with less overhang. The result is more even and natural tone balance.

Fourth Period: After about 6 weeks + of operation when left on continuously, your unit should be very close to being fully broken in. The sound and performance has progressively improved and your unit will perform to it's full sonic potential.

Even after the initial break-in period, the internal components lose their charge each time the unit is turned off. The full re-charging can take hours (and sometimes days!). Therefore, the best sonic performance is achieved when the components are kept fully charged at all times. This essentially means leaving your equipment on at all times--if you are comfortable with that arrangement. If not, at least be aware that it will take some time for your unit to warm up and fully charge each time you power up. These charged-based performance issues are applicable to most electronic equipment, and are especially critical in high-end solid-state gear such as Odyssey amplifiers and preamplifiers. >>

Curt

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2003, 06:02 pm »
Quote from: TheChairGuy

At the level of equipment, time and tweeks most of us on this forum have, we can hear that final 5% break-in and it matters.  You may want to counsel folks to break in for 250 hurs or something before critical A/B'ing should be done.

I've read t ...

This is excellent input and it makes sense that in a very high-end system a longer break-in period might be required.

I have had some customers with very good systems say that they could hear the break-in happening over a longer period of time.

I will start recommending 100-250 hours of break-in depending on the system.

Thank you for taking the time to write me your very detailed thoughts.