New to AC - long time audio enthusiast.

BigguyinATL

• Almost everything in stereo reproduction not real
New to AC - long time audio enthusiast.
« on: 7 Jul 2017, 03:00 pm »
Acoustics Engineer - specialty Architectural Acoustics, Test and Measurement with Bruel & Kjaer - 34 years.  Currently the product manager for Hand Held instruments.

Atlanta Area

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: New to AC - long time audio enthusiast.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2017, 03:14 pm »
Hello, Bigguy.

I hear it's a bit warm in ATL. Our son just began classes at Emory's School of PT last month.

Welcome to AC.

Michael

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2017, 03:23 pm »
Welcome!

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2017, 05:15 pm »
Man, is your acoustics background ever gonna be helpful around here! Welcome to the sweet spot!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2017, 05:34 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Bigguy   :thumb:

BigguyinATL

• Almost everything in stereo reproduction not real
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2017, 08:44 pm »
Thanks for the Well wishing...
I have a moment to get a little more info to you:

Audio things I Like to discuss or enjoy;

Human Perception, & Test.  eg.  I love that we can discuss and agree ornot agree on the differences sound of particular components (say two amplifiers), and that they can measure identically - to the limits of human perception and beyond.  Note in the last 10 years measurement equipment has greatly surpassed human perception of even the keenest listeners
Loudspeakers: Planars, Omnis, OB... Heck Everything  (if anything in the cabinet but the loudspeakers is vibrating it is bad...)
Gurus: Heyser, Toole, Linkwitz, Danley, and innumerable other engineers that understand audio and through their writings and discussions let my passion and knowledge expand and better understand the audio hobby I love. And. that I have a profession that skirts the same subjects.
Room Acoustics: how to make a great loudspeaker and excellent electronics measure really bad (frequency and phase response)

I tinker and occasionally build custom loudspeakers for folks (And me).  I don't replace perfectly good old equipment. (Confession: when I was young I often replaced perfectly good almost new equipment) I do test my gear at least every year to see it it is working correctly.  It helps that I have free access to great test gear.

When I retire I will design and build the world's best loudspeaker... But I can't tell you about it yet.... patent pending.

Looking forward to Audio Circle discussions

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2017, 12:16 am »
Welcome very much.  Look forward to your contributions here.